There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyrannosaurus rex

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(10-16-2020, 05:05 AM)DinoFan83 Wrote: I strongly, strongly, strongly disagree with this. As I have went over earlier in this thread, the average Tyrannosaurus is approximately 6 tonnes and Sue is most likely around 7.9 tonnes (the 9 tonne estimates are most likely incorrect; I can explain if needed).
Likewise, the average of both specimens of Giganotosaurus appears to be around 9.23 tonnes (therefore over 3.2 tonnes heavier than Tyrannosaurus on average based on known specimens) when correcting for the common problem of the incomplete pectoral girdle, our only adult specimen for Carcharodontosaurus is very likely in the 9-9.8 tonne range (therefore a mean of 3.4 tonnes larger than Tyrannosaurus on average based on known specimens), and Spinosaurus appears to be in the 10-12+ tonne size range on average based on known specimens, meaning that going by that, it was nearly TWICE the size of Tyrannosaurus on average. And at maximum size, Sue appears to be outmassed by MUCPv-95 by well over 2 tonnes (7.9 vs 10.29), SGM-DIN 1 by a mean of 1.5 tonnes (7.9 vs 9-9.8), and MSNM v4047/NMC 41852 by 4.1+ tonnes (7.9 tonnes vs 12+ tonnes)
For what it is worth, there's also Mapusaurus* (linked in the Giganotosaurus post), who appears to be 8.17 plus tonnes on average and 10.87 tonnes at maximum based on known specimens, meaning that based on these known specimens Tyrannosaurus is outweighed by over 2 tonnes on average and almost 3 tonnes at maximum by Mapusaurus.
Considering all this, I see absolutely no reason to think Tyrannosaurus was the largest carnivorous dinosaur ever discovered seeing as based on all of this, Spinosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus, and Carcharodontosaurus all appear to have been SUBSTANTIALLY heavier.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, using Sue and Scotty to judge whether or not Tyrannosaurus was larger than any given theropod is a very poor idea. They are the largest and oldest in a sample of well over 30 adults, while all the giant carcharodontosaurids outlined above, as well as Spinosaurus, are only known from 1-3 presumably adult specimens that almost certainly aren't senescent and may not even be adults for all of them due to lack of study on that topic (ie: we don't know). 
Following logics of comparing extremes, who's to say Bucky, B-rex, DMNH 2827, Wyrex, MOR 009, and such are worse representatives? Of course they are also bad representatives for Tyrannosaurus as a species, but since there are a lot more specimens in their size class than in the size class of Sue and Scotty therefore they are if anything a better representative for Tyrannosaurus. The best comparison by far would be average vs average (a specimen close to 6 tonnes such as MOR 555, BHI 4182, LACM 23844, BHI 3033, MOR 008, MOR 980, or UCMP 118742), and as I have gone over above when based on known specimens, Tyrannosaurus is quite smaller not just at average but also at maximum and obviously at minimum.

*Just as a side note, do you remember the earlier discussions we had about Mapusaurus' size roughly a year ago, where I had proposed 8-8.5 tonnes for the giant pubis MCF-PVPH-108.145? As you can probably tell from the estimations outlined here, that is a SEVERE underestimate. Using the scenario of maximum parsimony, you'd have an animal approaching 11 tonnes based on the pubis, and even if we completely disregard the pubis we still have the tibiae that lead to >9.7 tonne specimens. So consider all my old posts on Mapusaurus from that discussion to be a FUBAR by now, considering how rife with underestimation they are.

The bait:
In the past, when peter and I participated in the old AVA forum and saw all the dissaster that the "fanatics" of some animals can cause, we learned how to identify this tipe of persons in order to cut they lies and exagerations. Like in the hunt of an animal, the first thing that we do is to place a bait (this post in this case). We identify the best place to put it (the area that is more common to it, in this case the Dinosaurs area) and the bait is something that attract it or that irritate it (T. rex in this case). After that, is only a matter of time and eventualy the beast arrive.

The capture:
I was incredibly impresed that you reacted to this post in less than 5 minutes and since the beggining of your post (You say: "I strongly, strongly, strongly disagree with this.") I can see that we are treating with a fanatic here. I had saw lion-fanatics, bear-fanatics and even shark-fanatics but none of them jumped as fast as you have done today. So I think I got you here.

The analysis:
I had checked all your posts here and is very clear to all of us that you had a grudge agains the T. rex. I don't know what are your reasons but certainly there is a clear hate from your part for a animal that had not done anything against you, (dude, the poor animal is extinct!) but that you constantly downgrade with now special reasons, and your only backgrown are the posts of the person nicknamed "Spinoinwonderland" in Devianart. Interestingly is the fact that while you copy-paste what he/she says, you don't put the links to show also the conversations in his creations, so all the posters can see the answers of several posters that are not agree with the conclutions of this person. I see that you contantly downgrade the T. rex but you upgrade the large Carcharodontosaurids with no special reason. So I observed you, specially in your last posts about Carcharodontosaurus and Spinosaurus, and is very clear that your data do not have any base, except for the posts of Spinoinwonderland of course.

The information:
I see that you complain about the comparison of the oldest T. rex with the specimens of Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus known, however the use of an "average sized" T. rex is also completelly incorrext, as we don't know if they were fully grow or if they will grow more with time (which seems to be the case), also we don't know the sexes of the animals so you are mixing females with males, we don't know if there could be also different subspecies (as those specimens are from diferent areas and some of them had a couple of thousands of years of difference (and we know what a few thousands of years can make to an species/subspecies). So your aproaching is incorrect and that is why we use the best that each species can offer. We don't know if those specimens of Carcharodontosaurids are young or old, there is simple no point of comparison and even compare between them is at some point futile as these are completelly diferent animals with different morphology (is like compare cats with dogs). By they way IF you try to use the document of Therrien and Henderson (2007) you must remember that those results are already labeled as invalid by any expert at this moment.

However I was checking the available litterature and I could not found any formal document of any expert stating a calculated body mass of any theropod that surpass the T. rex in modern years, specially after the refining of the methods. In fact, some of the same experts that calculated the huge weights for Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus already retracted and now recognize that T. rex is heavier than both. When I checked your "sources" all what we have are, again, the posts of Spinoinwonderland, so I ask, are you actually investigating or are you just using the preconcived ideas of this person?

I had not found any official weight estimation for Carcharodontosaurus, but the biggest specimen SGM-Din 1 is form only by an incomplete skull, that by the way was incorrectly reconstructed based in Gregory S. Paul and Scott Hartman. There are several reconstructions in the web, but certainly the best one is that of Franois with used the holotype and also other relatives to make one of the most reliable reconstructions.

*This image is copyright of its original author

With this size, this animal was smaller than the Giganotosaurus holotype, so certainly it will weigh less. Check that even the holotype is so incomplete that the estimation of the weight of the biggest Carcharodontosaurus is just a guess from the guess! Only thing that we can say is that based on the few available evidence (the skull size) this animal was smaller than the Giganotosaurus holotype.

Original skull:

Reconstructed by Franoys without the "Pinocchio nose":

Then it comes the Giganotosaurus, all the new studies recognize that T. rex was more robust and the idea that the specimen MUCPv-95 could be only an specimen with a more robust mandible (like T. rex "Stan" compared to other specimens). This is a good conclution from Hartman: https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/mas...edux772013

Now, about the biggest Giga specimens, he says that "I must reiterate, the lower jaw fragment of MUCPv-95 does not come from an animal that is 8% larger than the type. In fact it honestly could be from an identically-sized animal that just has a more robust dentary, so scaling it up 6.5% (in linear dimensions) should if anything be seen as the upper bounds." So probably that jaw fragment belonged to a similar sized animal only that had a more robust mandible. This is completelly plausible as with such a low sample we don't know the variations that existed in this species. Again, we work with what we have.

Check this other reconstructions:

This accurate reconstruction shows the huge size of this animal, but also its lower body mass compared to T. rex.

Finally what we normally see is this type of comparison in your claims:

But you never mention this:

And take in count that this image is using the overestimation of the specimen MUCPv-95:

So as we can see, they are using the overestimation of the sizes for Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus and even then, they look much lighter.

Finally with Mapusaurus, you are using only one small fragment of a pubis to make wild estimations of sizes, the specimen MCF-PVPH-108.145. There is no evidence that the particular specimens belonged to a giant, probably it was just a robust specimen, and in this case there are several specimens to compare. Check this reconstruction:

Apart from the estimation of Franoys, all the other estimations that I found shows that this animal was no more than 5 metric tones.

So, none of the Carcharodontosaurids, using reliable reconstructions and based in published papers, present specimens of the same body mass than T. rex. So, while thise giant predators were as long as T. rex, they were lighter in body build with specimens of up to 7 tons, and maybe the largest Giganotosaurus at 8 tons, IF it was actually larger than the holotype.

Finally we reach Spinosaurus, wich is the most probelmatic of all. This animal has no relation or any resemblance to any of the previous carnivore dinosaurs, so estimating its body size is difficult. At this moment we know that the best estimation is that this animal measured up to 15 meters long and weighed about 6.4 - 7.5 metric tons (Molina-Pérez & Larramendi 2016; Henderson, 2018) and this is the figure quoted by National Geographic, which expended a lot of time and money to make this animal famous, so there is no reason to think that they are going to downgrade this animal.

Now, even with the new form, that sale in the tale will not represent more than 500 kg, so in the best case Spinosaurus probably weighed about 8 tons, which is about the same as the biggest Giganotosaurus and still lower than T. rex. We know that Ibrahim made a personal estimation of about 10 tons, but until there is a published paper about this, his figure is only his persona opinion and may change in a ny moment.

By the way, I still don't see any explanation about WHY Spinoinwonderland reconstructed in a completelly different form the tail of Spinosaurus:

New reconstruction:

The reconstruction of Spinoinwonderland with the incorrect tail form:

GetAwayTrike made it much better, even when its sale is weird:

At the end, even if Spinosaurus reached the 9 tons of T. rex, is that actually relevant? As @Spalea said, this dinosaur was an AQUATIC animal, the taphonomic evidence suggest that this animals largely aquatic and that spend much of its life in the water, not in land (Beevor et al., 2020), its jaw articulation was convergently present in pterosaurs and particularly pelecanids, were able to swallow large prey such as fish in the same way as pelecanids, supporting its prey selection (Hendrickx et la., 2016) and while is often been described as “crocodile-mimic” there is a suite of craniodental characters shared by spinosaurs and pike conger eels and may result from similar feeding behaviours. This typical jaw morphology likely represents an effective biomechanical adaptation for biting and grabbing elusive prey items in low-light aquatic environments (Vullo et al, 2016). This evidence suggest that Spinosaurus lived int he water, eated in the water and hunted fishes. So any idea that this animal was at land fighting Carcharodontosaurus is just  child dream of its fans!

Check how "robust" was Spinosaurus:

By the way, the modern model do not change anything of the body, just the tail, so this last comparison is still acurate. Side images may deceive, but when we see it in 3D then we can appreciate the difference in mass and robustness. The Spino was escalated at 15 meters, the T. rex at 12.3 meters.

Under this point of view, to compare Spinosaurus to T. rex is like to compare a bear with a seal, there are completely different animals in completelly different habitats and we know that no one says that seals are the biggest carnivores (even when elephant seals are much bigger than the largest bears), that title belong to the bears. So been an aquatic and piscivore animal, is no longer a candidate for the largest carnivore at LAND.

Conclution:
Checking the evidence and leaving aside any "amateur" conclution, the fossils shows that T. rex was more robust than any Carcharodontosaurid, that Giganotosaurus was longer but not heavier (not even close) and that Carcharodontosaurus was smaller than all these species, even smaller than Mapusaurus. This modern reconstructionfrom 2020 show it very well, in total length terms at least:

At the end, all this information are just educated guesses, specially for the mos incomplete specimens. Even in the more complete specimens, we don't know the true length of the tail of T. rex (for those that don't know it, there is no complete tail of this species at this moment) and we will need more specimens of Giganotosaurus. At then end, the few evidence suggest that Spinosaurus is disqualified for been mostly aquatic (although is the longest one [not heaviest, yet], than Giganotosaurus is aparently the longest one and T. rex is the heaviest one. Any out of this, is pure speculation.
4 users Like GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
Tyrannosaurus rex - brotherbear - 04-30-2016, 05:58 AM
RE: Tyrannosaurus rex - Spalea - 04-30-2016, 10:34 AM
RE: Tyrannosaurus rex - brotherbear - 05-20-2016, 02:56 PM
RE: Tyrannosaurus rex - chaos - 05-20-2016, 08:23 PM
RE: Tyrannosaurus rex - brotherbear - 06-14-2016, 03:25 PM
RE: Tyrannosaurus rex - Spalea - 06-16-2016, 11:23 AM
RE: Tyrannosaurus rex - Spalea - 06-16-2016, 10:01 PM
RE: Tyrannosaurus rex - brotherbear - 06-17-2016, 01:18 AM
RE: Tyrannosaurus rex - Spalea - 06-17-2016, 01:34 AM
RE: Tyrannosaurus rex - Ngala - 07-01-2017, 09:02 PM