There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-24-2019, 12:14 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:56 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:25 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:09 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:00 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 10:27 PM)Shadow Wrote: Here one example, cornered leopard with some advantage same time from place where it is limiting possibilities for these lionesses. Surprise element long gone for some reason.

But imagine there only one determined lioness or tigress, which would attack furiously against all the odds in that situation. There would be a total mess with eight paws with sharp claws etc. and no-one could be sure about the outcome. This is why I am not so surprised if there are rare cases, where tiger is killed by a leopard or both animals dead. It would be nice to get more information though, more photos of injuries etc. I can understand if being cautious, when something rare seems to happen, but rare isn´t same as impossible.

If an adult healthy lioness or tigress went all in to kill a leopard they would kill the leopard, and leave with only some bad cuts. The tigress killed by the leopard was still young and small, I have seen 4 lionesses attack 1 lioness with intention to kill and the lioness survives, and a dosin hyenas attacking a lone lioness, but she still survive, one leopard imo dosen’t have enough power to kill a lioness or a tigress before him himself would be dead. Cats can take a beating, and are durable as hell, but a lioness or tigress would snap the neck or back of a leopard quickly because of their superior size. 

Video which shows the tremendous durability of a lioness, she survives this attack. Imo there isn’t a chance a lone leopard could kill a healthy adult one of these or a evenly matched tigress.

Young and very old lionesses/tigresses is another story.

I am not as confident as you are with outcome. I mean, if we have 10 cases, could be easily 10/10. But if 100, I would be surprised if no dead tigers too. But these are things, which can be seen in somewhat different ways and maybe no point to argue about small things, when overall opinion is quite same. So little things can change whole situation as some examples from zoos prove. I mean sometimes one lucky paw swipe can kill an animal and sometimes fight and struggle can go on long times and no dead animals there.

So when you say maybe impossible, I say not likely, but in rare occasions possible :)

I think what he means is that a Lion or Tiger if it were so inclined it can kill the Leopard, the leopard being a carnivore has weapons that are used to kill or defend but the odds of them being able to get a hold of the Throat on a cat that outweighs them by 100kg at least is a long shot. But could a wound cause the Lion or Tiger to die in the long run, absolutely. But it's not like a Leopard is going to put up a territorial fight, it's going to put up a defensive fight which means it's going to be a buzzsaw trying to inflict enough damage to force a release and escape.

But without a doubt, there is only one ruler of the African Plains and the Indian Jungles and all Leopards give way to them.
100% but even the damages a leopard can inflict, I think a helthy adult lioness/tigress would survive 99% of the time, if the leopard isn’t lucky and gets a deep cut on a the larger cat and they somehow bleed to death, but some of the injuries I’ve see lions survive from hyenas, buffalos and other lions is remarkable and I’m sure a tigress would do the same a little more vounrable ofcourse because they are a solatary animal that needs to be fit to hunt, and can’t relay on a pride.
For the most part, but there are things like infection and wounds which cause starvation that durability can do little to protect, these are outliers of course.
Considering most big cats withstand wounds that sometimes are the loss of an eye or worse, it's going to take an exceptional circumstance for a big cat to be killed by a defensive attack from a smaller cat.
Something like that maybe in that one case, where was reported about dead tiger and leopard. It would be nice to see more photos and information about it. But for some reason it seems to be very hard to find information about tiger mortality with causes of death. There can be like "74 natural causes" and no explanation which are considered as died to old age, which ones killed by gaurs, crocodiles or something else. Those do happen, but so little information available.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts - Shadow - 01-24-2019, 12:21 AM
Lions vs Hyenas the eternal enemy - sanjay - 10-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Cat conflict - Sully - 12-05-2015, 08:45 PM
RE: Cat conflict - Sully - 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM
RE: Big Cat Fued Galary - Tshokwane - 12-17-2015, 06:42 PM
RE: Big Cat Fued Galary - Tshokwane - 02-09-2016, 07:22 PM
RE: Cat conflict - Spalea - 05-02-2016, 03:47 PM
RE: Cat conflict - Sully - 05-02-2016, 05:18 PM
RE: Cat conflict - sanjay - 05-02-2016, 06:02 PM
RE: Cat conflict - Spalea - 05-02-2016, 11:52 PM
RE: Cat conflict - Tshokwane - 05-03-2016, 01:05 AM
RE: Cat conflict - Spalea - 05-03-2016, 02:31 AM
RE: Cat conflict - Spalea - 05-03-2016, 08:13 AM