There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Personal Opinion & Speculations

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-26-2019, 06:21 PM)Spalea Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 04:15 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 03:49 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Pantherinae :

Agree with you, but we have to admit that the main wolves's asset is their high sociability degree, "all for one and all for one" ! Individually they aren't as formidable as that, as you said. During the fight as natural offensive weapon, they only have a powerful jaw at their disposal. But as concerns the group, the prides of predators, they are the top one: high collective intelligence and extreme stamina.
100%, but hyenas have the same problem that they only have their jaws, but they are stronger than a wolf at the same weight imo. There is many that belives a wolf could compeate with a Hyena one on one which imo is ludicrous. That is why I say, I feel they are overrated. Still a formidable animal, but it is in packs they are one of the most dangerous animal.  

Spalea, do you have an opinion that you feel is a little unpopular? I would love to hear if you have one :)

I spoke about canids, not hyaenidae. The spotted hyenas are scavenger i.e. animals which is more used than Wolf to direct confrontations with other powerful predators. And also because they are scavenger they have an extremely strong neck (to dismember a big corpse and to extract the viscera). Thus the morphology isn't the same. The wolves are pure predator, not at all scavengers like the hyenas. Of course they are able to defend a prey's corpse but they don't insist if their opponents is much more powerful (a grizzly bear for example), in this case they would prefer to flee from it. On the other hand the main spotted hyena's morphology fault is that it doesn't allow it to twirl around itself when aggressed: you see the numerous cases in which we can see some jackal biting it in the hindquarters or in the rump ? These jackals wouldn't do that with a wolf.

An opinion about animals I would think unpopular ? Hmm let me think about it !

Yes I know you did, I just compared them, as you mentioned the wolves are only having the jaws to fight with the same as the hyena, only the hyenas being tougher. 

Yes the hyenas aren exatly acobatic they are mostly buildt to be tough and heavy at the back. And yes jackals would be stupid to try nipping at a wolf. 
Wolves are insanely fast too! 

Can’t wait to hear it :)

Messages In This Thread
Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 03:15 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Spalea - 01-26-2019, 03:49 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 04:15 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Spalea - 01-26-2019, 06:21 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 06:32 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - brotherbear - 01-26-2019, 05:23 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 05:46 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Sully - 02-02-2020, 06:03 AM