There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-03-2019, 05:50 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(11-23-2018, 04:51 AM)tigerluver Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 01:47 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 09:51 AM)johnny rex Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 09:46 AM)tigerluver Wrote: Based on the femur length to skull ratios of extant tigers, I would say the Padang specimen. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

The average femur length (FL)/condylobasal length (CBL) from the above is 1.23. If we use the lower 426 mm CBL value from post #989 we'd get a femur length of 523 mm. Now the more exceptional a skull, the more we have to think about the possibility of the FL/CBL ratio being closer to 1 rather than what is in extant tigers. Even then, 490-500 mm femur would be in the realm of possibility, thus outsizing the Ngandong femur no matter which way one looks at it.

I see, what do you think of WaveRider's previous statement on the largest skull of prehistoric Panthera leo? He stated "I estimate the equivalent greatest length of skull of the largest Panthera (leo) spelaea individuals unearthed to date I am aware likely at around 500 mm and possibly even 510 mm for a couple of them, therefore approaching the size of the largest Panthera (leo) fossilis specimen known to date (the 192 mm MT3 individual from Chateau) for which I currently estimate with some necessary caution given the extreme size of this metapodial and the kind of bone it is a likely equivalent greatest length of skull in the region of 520 mm (most likely range 500-535 mm and with a 95% Confidence Interval even clearly higher then that).

WaveRiders"

Thoughts?

Dunno, but sound quite dubious to me that Cave lion's skull to rival the largest Cave bear and SF bear.

Also, WaveRiders seemed to refuse to share any of his share of information with us.

I discussed that metapodial in the cave lion thread recently. It is certainly gigantic. The main debatable point is proportions. Extrapolations from one bone to another, especially between different species, comes with a bag of salt. That's why I try to avoid the topic as much as possible. The rest as @GrizzlyClaws stated, we can't say anything as there's no record of them in any form. Dr. Marciszak knows the history of the cave lions' remains inside out and he's yet to make a mention of such.

On that old fragment, there's too much uncertainty in faunal level, range, and morphology. It lies right at the boundary of tiger and cave lion. In post #140 @GuateGojira linked to our old discussions a lifetime ago. The photos unfortunately do not show anymore, but maybe @GuateGojira could repost them if he has them saved somewhere.

I do remember you once stated that the Cromerian lion specimen with the 192 mm MT3 should have a skull in between 450 - 500 mm, but more precisely around the same league with the Chateau giant with 484.7 mm skull. Hence, the largest earlier transitional Panthera spelaea with 475 mm was indeed close to that level as well.
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - GrizzlyClaws - 11-23-2018, 05:11 AM
Sabertoothed Cats - brotherbear - 06-11-2016, 11:59 AM
RE: Sabertoothed Cats - peter - 06-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Ancient Jaguar - brotherbear - 01-04-2018, 12:45 AM