There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Do you support lion translocation from Gir to Kuno Palpur?
Absolutely!
No.
On the fence...
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-31-2015, 12:03 AM)'Pckts' Wrote:
(01-30-2015, 02:48 AM)'teresek' Wrote:
(12-02-2014, 08:35 PM)'Amnon242' Wrote:
(12-02-2014, 08:33 PM)'chaos' Wrote: Unfortunately, middle east = eternal instability. What a shame it would be to lose relocated wildlife
to human conflict.

You are right :-( Turkey and Iran are quite safe right now, but no one knows what will be in 5 years (especially in the case of Iran). Perhaps Turkmenistan could be propriate home for lions but I´m not sure whether lions ever lived there...I think they didn´t...

Lions lived also in Greece about 2500 years ago...but reintroduction of lions into Greece is beyond my imagination :-)

Greece is better option than the other countries. It's a european country and is part of the european union. Greece has strict laws about wild animals. Τhe creation of a new 1000km2 National Park with fences all around somewhere in thessaly would be a nice reintroduction of asiatic lion.

Don't forget that not long ago it was its home. But from what i'am seeing i don't think India ever going to relocate lions in other countries even if they're going to extinct. They don't want to lose the "only in India" thing i suppose which is a bit idiotic nowadays.

When I was in Delos (birth place of apollo, its a greek island) they have Lion statues used for protection of the temple. Interesting enough they don't look anything like a lion you would expect and they also use falic symbols all over the place. Even chickens with their heads cut off and enlogated necks, its a very interesting place.

Here is a image of the "lions" they use their

*This image is copyright of its original author

If the Gir Lion is truly a "asiatic lion" then the only reasonable place to try and reintroduce it would be in Asia, IMO.
Its not that they don't have areas to reintroduce the lion, its the horrible political non sense that is getting in the way. They have been trying to shift the growing population forever but have ran into bumps every step of the way.

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project - Pckts - 01-31-2015, 12:07 AM