There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainy Day at Alipore Zoo, Kolkata

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-22-2018, 10:13 PM by Rishi )

The test is over. Googled the answers. My score is falling short of projected cut-off, not by much, but enough to bury the chances of me getting lucky.
Done my analysis. Identified my shortcomings. Drawn up plans for next attempt & aiming to meet UPSC-2019 better prepared. Another year of grinding...

But before that something i've been looking forward to, India's oldest zoo. The Alipore Zoological Garden is being renovated & new enclosures built.  
Some of the enclosures are more then 100 years old. I hadn't been there in years & i just had to see the place one last time before the older structures are demolished. 

The highest recoded attendance till date was on January 1, 2018 with 110,000 visitors. Thus i had to make sure i avoid the mob, or the animals don't come out of their shelters (standard practice here is for about 1/4 of the enclosure to be private space). So, i went on a weekday with the monsoon pouring down cats & dogs. The enclosures sure looked beautiful & lush but it meant some prized new arrivals like the Mouse deers were barely visible.
*This image is copyright of its original author

Chowsingha, the Indian four horned antelope.

Barking Deer.

Swamp Deer.

Nilgai or blue-bull female. The male was somewhere behind the bushes.

Cheetal or spotted deer, much larger up close than they look in photos. This facility is also used as a breeding centre for them. If i remember correctly, these animals have cousins that have been released in Sundarbans.

In the reptile house; Russell's Viper.

Burmese Python. (The sign says "No photography" so i decided to stop)

My favourite & Bengals state animal, Fishing cats. 

Jungle cat.

The new leopard enclosure. He's on that tree. Eyes could see him but camera couldn't.

Old Aviary. Hexagonal structure with 6 triangular cages. Peacock & Saras crane in the back.  

The one in last image.

Peafowl's housing.

New aviary.

At this point the rain got harder. I stood under the shed infront of the leopard enclosure. He came out & started pacing in the downpour.

Rhino (female). She has a calf who was behind the privacy wall. Her horn had been shaven for safety.

Tigress Rani didn't come out of her cavern.

New enclosure for tigers, presently houses a mating pair of a regular coloured female & this male (that's him in post #1,600 in Tiger Extinction thread back in his old cage). 

Most of the old cages are gone. Only 3-4 remain, with two animals still living there. This female...

...& this ex-maneater from Sundarban (In third video of post #1,600). Unlike previous times i was taking a note of their physique this once. 
He is exactly the similar to the mainland tigress in both size & stature, bigger head though. Shouldn't weigh very different.

It wasn't a day to be sitting in the water. It was damp & raining with quite a nip in the air. Helps him relive memories, i guess...

4 users Like Rishi's post

Messages In This Thread
Rainy Day at Alipore Zoo, Kolkata - Rishi - 06-27-2018, 04:02 PM