There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
African Buffalo (Syncerus caffer)

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Matthew Brennan - Inyati.

“The adage an elephant never forgets would be matched by a buffalo never forgives. They have been known to attack people that have harmed them even years after the event."

*This image is copyright of its original author

Feel free to post about any of the subespecies of African buffalo, not just the Cape Buffalo.
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Spalea Online
Wildanimal Lover

Although the Cape buffalo isn't the biggest wild bovid on the Earth, and this perhaps by far (perhaps 300 kilos less than the biggest gaurs and American buffalos), I found it very impressive. It's perhaps due to its horns (the fact to see them merging on the top of the skull contrary to the other bovids), its reputation for being aggressive (lot of hunters during the XIXth century told it was the most dangerous animal to shoot)...

I remember in Kenya (1989), we were going by car inside the Masai Mara park, on a narrow road (ruggedized path). After having drive a bend we were suddendly in front of a big buffalo like this one, on the photo below... An angel was passing, there was a hushed silence. You're feeling rather very very weak especially when sitting on the death seat. The driver cut the engine, the bovid didn't move... And went out of the road.

6 users Like Spalea's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Arie Smit - Nkorho Rangers.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

A crocodile captured a buffalo by the hoof, turning itself into a perfect target for another buffalo that was nearby. Just look at the damage on the crocodile's back.
6 users Like Shir Babr's post

Jimmy Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 08:20 AM by Jimmy )

pretty interesting video of cape buffalo showing aggression and dominance to other animals especially the white rhino, in the end they had to cut it's horn tip!!!

another one with gaur in Sandiego safari park, the lead keeper saying gaurs are... .."formidable creatures and has attitude to go with it, they will even go right upto indian rhinos and push them around" note the video show cows not bulls.

3 users Like Jimmy's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 08:51 AM by Wolverine )

@Pckts , watch carefully  this 2 videos just posted by Jimmy. They are typical example that gaur despite his immense power really seems to has quite thin almost gracile throat and neck in comparison with the buffalo. Maybe I suffer from short-sightedness and have to check my eyes with doctor.
Its true that there is no adult bull gaur in the video, but nevertheless the general shape of the animal should be similar.
1 user Likes Wolverine's post

Jimmy Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 11:39 AM by Jimmy )

(09-01-2018, 08:50 AM)Wolverine Wrote: @Pckts , watch carefully  this 2 videos just posted by Jimmy. They are typical example that gaur despite his immense power really seems to has quite thin almost gracile throat and neck in comparison with the buffalo. Maybe I suffer from short-sightedness and have to check my eyes with doctor.
Its true that there is no adult bull gaur in the video, but nevertheless the general shape of the animal should be similar.
Bulls among any bovine has much thicker robust neck region than cows, so although the general shape is the same, their proportion in particular body part is different, here is a video showing quite clearly a difference in dimensions between a cow and a bull gaur.

now as for comparision with cape buffalo-neck girth, i think it's slight, if you say at parity i think cape has a larger neck in proportion Due to the fact it carries extra weight of head-boss and larger horns, But if you take average animal say c.700kgs cape and c.900kgs gaur, i say the differnce of neck girth in absolute term will be minimal to non existent so for a predator it won't be any easy, watch these two pics of cape and gaur (i deliberatley chose the cape without horns due to the fact it's horn covers and obscures the neckline) like @Pckts, i also think gaur's dewlap and small beard creates a neck depression in between that makes an illusion of having a thinner neck than what is in reality however  i do think at parity cape has slightly larger neck due to the reason mentioned. As for your mentioning somewhere that gaur would be more vulnerable for neck attack, i doubt that cuz at avg, the neck is as big as those of capes so would not change anything but i also think cuz they have not as big neck in proportion, gaur's show more flexibilty with thier neck and would have pretty rapid movement of the head due to not having extra weight of  big horns and boss(below an avg. looking individual of both species)

3 users Like Jimmy's post

United States Fredymrt Offline

Credits to bush 24 africa

Posted on Wednesday at 12:31 PM

Hundreds of buffalo drown in desperate attempt to escape lions

Hundreds of buffalo drowned in the Chobe river after being chased by a pride of lions. (Serondela Lodge)

500 buffaloes drown!?!

In an incredible scene lions chased a huge herd of over a 1000 buffaloes into the Chobe river with a disastrous outcome for the poor bovines.

In fact we had been sitting with the herd just yesterday morning as they made their way up the banks on the Botswana side of the river after feeding off the fresh flush of green grass left on the floodplains of the Chobe river's receding waters, typical for this time of year.

As the mid day temperatures increased they sought shade and then made their way back to the river for a drink opposite the Serondela Lodge area later on. We didnt realise that this was the beginning of a really sad incident.

The Serondela Lodge in Namibia posted a video of the dead buffalo on its Facebook page Thursday. The Lodge is located on the Namibian side of the Chobe river that separates Namibia from its southern neighbor Botswana.

To their west was the large pride of 25 lions that had split in to 2 groups while to their east we counted 11 lions with 2 big males that have been taking over the area. (There were also 2 brown hyenas in the area)! The lions were hungry and we had just watched them miss catching a zebra. 

As the buffaloes made their way to the water and the lions looked for food a frightening scene played out last night. A scene which actually plays out like this most years but just not usually on this sort of scale. I have seen 40 dead buffalo which died like this before but not 400-500.

What happens is that the lions chase the buffalo which panic and run. Although they were in good condition compared to normal they are weaker at this time of year because of it being the end of the dry season. They panicked and ran into the water and so many drowned. The banks were also high in this area and the night so dark that it was just the worst set of circumstances that meant they had no escape route and thus so many died.

Its raw nature and nothing to do with humans. It's a scene that has no doubt played out like this over the centuries in an area which has such huge numbers of wildlife.

This will make a serious dent on the buffalo of the area but they should be able to bounce back from this. I do have one thought and one question. Why when Botswana do all the protecting to the Namibians feel it's their right to come and claim all the meat?

I'm happy the meat was used and didnt all rot. But it's kind of ironic that the same scene plays out every year that animals die in the river and that the meat is always stolen from nature. It's soemthing that needs to be discussed and I wish there could just be better management of humans on this side of this great wildlife reserve from the Namibian government...after all if its nature then the dead animals should provide food for the predators and not just humans. In this case though everyone should reap the rewards of a dramatic incident: both humans and beasts!

Micheletti said that he heard the lions roaring on Tuesday night and saw the dead buffalo floating in the Chobe river the next morning.

Local people cut the buffalo carcasses up for meat. (Serondela Lodge)
Cloudy conditions that blocked the moonlight on Tuesday night may have contributed to the mass drownings, according to Micheletti, who noted that the buffalo may not have been able to see.

Officials estimate that 400 buffaloes died in the mass drowning. (Serondela Lodge)

A buffalo carcass in the Chobe river. (Serondela Lodge)
Thanks a lot to Simon Micheletti of Serondella Lodge for allowing me to share these images. It's one of Africa's last true wild areas!
4 users Like Fredymrt's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Pure raw nature for sure. I strongly agree that much of these carcasses should be left to scavengers and predators. I didn't see any crocodiles pictured. No crocs in this location? Sad but incredible find Fredymrt . 
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

Wildanimal Lover

(11-09-2018, 05:02 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Pure raw nature for sure. I strongly agree that much of these carcasses should be left to scavengers and predators. I didn't see any crocodiles pictured. No crocs in this location? Sad but incredible find Fredymrt . 

Yes but it concerns 400 corpses of buffalo... OK the lions were never more efficient for the buffalos hunting (I'm ironic) , but the felids like the fresh flesh, when the flesh will seriously be rotten, only the hyenas and vultures will always go to delight in those corpses... The scavengers will never have that much food, they will have a feast. How many hyenas do they live in this boundary region ?
2 users Like Spalea's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Saartjie Goetsch
Big Bull Cape

3 users Like Pckts's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Buffalo confronts a leopard

3 users Like Luipaard's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Huge Boss

3 users Like Pckts's post

Wildanimal Lover

Zimanga Private Game, South Africa

1 user Likes Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Fierceness till the death separates them...

1 user Likes Spalea's post