There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maps of Sabi Sand Coalitions Males and Prides

United States BorntobeWild Online

(11-25-2022, 11:14 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(11-25-2022, 12:47 AM)东方琳琅STD Wrote: Plus Gingerella is their bloodline. 

Why did Sabi Sand euthanize their sons? Did they get infected with some sort of epidemic disease ?

No, not at all.  They merely escaped from a protective barrier one time.  For this infringement, they got a death sentence.  Believe it or not.  It was a VERY controversial decision.  If it had happened in more enlightened periods....like more recently, they might have just been relocated or been given more chances, at least.  There was a whopping 6 sub-adult males, if I'm not mistaken! Imagine the progeny they could have left behind.  I believe this judgement was motivated in part by the reputation their sires had, but it was no fault of the sons of the Sand River Pride.  They were nomadic or almost so.

So sad to know these young boys dies in this way.
2 users Like BorntobeWild's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

New updated map of prides since September last year :

*This image is copyright of its original author

- Sassy Othawa died in November 2022, 1 of 3 remaining sub females also died 
- Amber Eyes Nkuhuma breakaway females was not seen for few months towards end of 2022, presumed dead
- last sub female of Mhangeni pride disappeared after pride started to hang with PC males
- old Mhangeni female returned to pride after she was with Tsalala female
- Nhenha was badly injured in a territorial fight vs PC males, he and NK where not seen together since
- Blondie Avoca died in October 2022
- DM Avoca died in September 2022 after buffalo injury
- 1 NK sub males disappeared
- 1 NK cub died
- Silver Eyes Talamati female presumed dead after not being seen for many months
- Talamati and Kambula young females are now showed as adult females as they are around 4 yrs of age
- Styx pride lost 4 cubs in last few months
- Kambula pride has new young cubs , but still dont know the number so i didint show them
- and as always, Torchwoods members might not be up to date because lack of info
17 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Thanks for the update!

Crazy how much has changed since the last map. I am curious how long this one will last with everything in a state of flux right now.
7 users Like Duco Ndona's post

WildLeonis Away

@Tr1x24 
Quote:since
- Blondie Avoca died in October 2022
- DM Avoca died in September 2022 after buffalo injury

Correction DM died in November 2022
5 users Like WildLeonis's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-05-2023, 07:59 PM)WildLeonis Wrote: Correction DM died in November 2022

Yea, i meant November.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Korea, Republic of veritas Offline

Thank you for making the map!
I just can't find Nbiripride, Nharupride, Redroad.
By any chance, why are they excluded from the map?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-15-2023, 03:23 PM)veritas Wrote: Thank you for making the map!
I just can't find Nbiripride, Nharupride, Redroad.
By any chance, why are they excluded from the map?

This is only map for Sabi Sands, not Manyeleti.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Korea, Republic of veritas Offline

Oh! Sorry.
I guess Sabisand and Manyerity operate separately.
I want to know Manlyerity's map, but I give up because I don't have it.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-16-2023, 06:12 PM by criollo2mil )

(02-16-2023, 12:53 PM)veritas Wrote: Oh! Sorry.
I guess Sabisand and Manyerity operate separately.
I want to know Manlyerity's map, but I give up because I don't have it.

Yes, they operate separately.   The Tintwalo lodge page used to keep one in their web site.   Go take a look to see there.  

I might have a copy of an old one I will post in the Manyeleti thread later today or tomorrow once I’m able to get to a better connection

update:   I’ve tagged you in this post https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-lions-of-manyeleti?pid=185843#pid185843
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

OJB247 Offline
New Join

Hi, I am new here but are the southern Avoca male lions still hold territory anywhere in southern Sabi Sands or in Kruger? They were living a near perfect life for a male lion last I heard anything about them, basically once they stop hanging out in southern Sabi Sands.  Does anyone have any info on them please but I see they still hold territory in southern Sabi Sands from the map that was posted but I don't know how old that map is.
1 user Likes OJB247's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(02-19-2023, 11:19 PM)OJB247 Wrote: Hi, I am new here but are the southern Avoca male lions still hold territory anywhere in southern Sabi Sands or in Kruger? They were living a near perfect life for a male lion last I heard anything about them, basically once they stop hanging out in southern Sabi Sands.  Does anyone have any info on them please but I see they still hold territory in southern Sabi Sands from the map that was posted but I don't know how old that map is.

Yes they still live in the southeastern sabi sands but mostly in Kruger Dominate males over the sand river pride #2 and plains camp pride
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(02-19-2023, 11:19 PM)OJB247 Wrote: Hi, I am new here but are the southern Avoca male lions still hold territory anywhere in southern Sabi Sands or in Kruger? They were living a near perfect life for a male lion last I heard anything about them, basically once they stop hanging out in southern Sabi Sands.  Does anyone have any info on them please but I see they still hold territory in southern Sabi Sands from the map that was posted but I don't know how old that map is.

They’re here.   Also go east into Kruger w their other Pride (Plains Camp).

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Updated map after 5 months :

*This image is copyright of its original author

Some news since:

- last Bboy, Nhenha, died from his injuries from the fight vs 2 PC males
- 2 Ndhzenga males, Wide Nose and Gore, died in quite short span of time
- 2 adult Talamati "breakaway" females suddenly died after losing condition rapidly
- 3 Kambula females (2 older and 1 younger) also died, unknown reasons
- last 2 Kambula breakaway sub females are also gone, most likely killed by other lions
- looks like only 4 out of 7 Nkuhuma subadults are still alive
- I still showcased Mohawk Avoca as territorial male, although he is more of a semi-nomad, avoiding new territorial males, BD males
- 1 Styx sub female was killed by PC young male and his sister
- 1 adult female, 1 sub male and 1 cub from Sand River where killed by Nkhulu males, who are causing trouble in the south
-  with 2019 female maturing, Sand River pride still has 4 adult females, although subadult numbers and genders might not be accurate/up to date because lack of info
- I still left S.Avocas as territorial males, although it looks like they are on their way out, pressured by Nkuhulus, will see how it goes
- we had some recent sightings of Torchwoods, breakaway group has a lot of cubs, but adult females number in core and breakaway might not be accurate, as some females overlap, aswell as subadults numbers and genders, too little info
- 2 Mantimahle sons are starting to be seen in Sabi Sands, they are dominant over Torchwood Breakaways and Fourways prides (prob since late 2021/early 2022), possibly pushing for rest of Torchwoods
- new young male, Skorro young male, was seen at Londolozi in recent months (not sure on his current status tho), aswell as PC young male in the south.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Might be worth adding imbali breakaway pride on the Buffelshoek Manyeleti border, they seem to be pretty stable in Buffelshoek recently. 4 female two young males
5 users Like Tonpa's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Thank you so much for this.  I did think the S. Avocas were last seen up by Hamilton's though.  I question if they are still around.

I didn't see when the Nkhuma's lost 3 subadults... Sad
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post