There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Comparing Cats: A Discussion of Similarities & Differences

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2017, 09:57 AM by Rishi Edit Reason: Detailing & Rectification )

People voice your thoughts on this work. Not my drawing, though the original one was pretty lame & i edited the errors out & made the lion Asiatic (because that's what i've seen & can vouch for)... 

SIMILAR SPECIMENS SHOWING DISSIMILARITY OF PHYSIQUE & COMFORTABLE POSTURE.

*This image is copyright of its original author

SHOULDER HEIGHT
Lion (male):
* 101 cm (n=50). Range: 86-109 cm. Stevenson-Hamilton (1947) – South Africa.
* 96.2 cm (n=14). Range: 81.3 cm-107 cm. Meinertzhagen (1938) – Kenya, East Africa.
* 110 cm (n=8). No range. Tefera (2003) – Addis Ababa Zoo, Ethiopia.
* 97 cm (n=?). No range. Pocock (1939).
* 114 cm Max. recorded in the Wild (Pitman, 1945). 
* 112 cm. Max. recorded in captivity (Wood, 1983).

Bengal tiger (male):
* 109.3 cm (n=6). Range: 104-114 cm. Brown (1893) – Purneah, India.
* 100 cm (n=43). Range: 88-114 cm . Cooch Behar (1908) – Northeast India.
   88 cm (n=5). Range: 86-91 cm. . Cooch Behar (1908) – Northeast India.
* 99 cm (n=42). Range: 91-112 cm. Brander (1923) – Central India.
* 93.3 cm (n=5). Range: 89-99 cm. Mazák (1983).
* 91 cm (n=?). No range. Pocock (1939).
* 114 cm Max. recorded in the Wild (Cooch Behar (1908) – Brown (1893)). 
* 118 cm Max. recorded standing height in ANY WILD big cat (Ward, 1914)
On my Kerala Trip i went to Thiruvanantapuram Zoo, where they kept a lion & tiger & jaguar i adjoining cages. I spent 45mins with them...
http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-zoos-cir...8#pid39918 #723 )
Based on that personal experience (also <10cm different "nose-tailbase length" of the image seemed to fit the bill) i shared it.
5 users Like Rishi's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-04-2017, 11:28 PM by sanjay Edit Reason: Don't quote entire post which are just above your reply )

Wow @Rishi, your drawings are better than mine in terms of detail!

And I like your new signature quote: "In the wild, expect the unexpected, as we humans haven't really much clue of what to expect."  The wilderness is the most unpredictable thing out there, much more so than our "rat-race society" where everything has a deadline and strict measures, that is one main reason why we, modern humans, aren't able to survive in the woods because we are not as spontaneous as we once were when we lived in harmony with nature.
2 users Like Polar's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Rishi, since this section is for quality posts. I would suggest you to add details in form of written text as well (original). So in this case write about the dimensions. Make clear what is called and what is that.

Remember this thread and section is to add values.
Anyone want to to add here, make sure you are ready to write quality.
2 users Like sanjay's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2017, 02:28 PM by Rishi )

Source: Jun's Anatomy  by Jun Huang.
Finder: @brotherbearhttp://wildfact.com/forum/topic-big-cat-anatomy-models )

Smilodon 

Tiger

Lion

Leopard

Cougar

Jaguar

Cheetah

5 users Like Rishi's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2017, 11:14 PM by Pckts )

Both taken by me on the same camera, I tried to find them in similar positions. It's hard to find similar shots of them taken on the same camera so I figured this would be a good comparison image.

Lion v Tiger
The difference in body composition is just as much in these cats as it is in the Bovine.

Females are easier to compare, both are similar in dimension, but both my GF and my self thought that the Tigress just look a bit more strong in the limb section. Even a smaller tigress like Coti Tara, she is just very strong looking, her muscles were more taught. When comparing the biggest females I saw of either species, I'd have to give the edge in overall size in all departments to the Link 8 female, but I'm not sure if she is just a huge female or not, but she looked like a male to me at first, she was massive.

Males are way harder to compare, the mane of the Lion hides a lot but going off of what I can see.
Lions seem taller at the shoulder, the male tiger I saw in Tadoba looked very tall but he was much further off so I couldn't get a close up of him but the Sangam male I saw in kanha is said to be similar height to Munna, Bheema and other Kanha males and he seemed to be shorter at the shoulder.
Body length is very hard to determine with the naked eye.
But when it comes to robustness, the tiger gets the nod, they are more barrel shaped and their muscles seem more massive. Maybe they look more stocky because they seem shorter but they are very robust.

Their personalities are also very different, Lions seem very lazy and don't mind eyes on them, they don't give you much expression and they lay around, a tiger seems to be on edge and much more elusive. Tigers are always moving, even when at the watering hole, they are alert, they prefer to be unseen. The Sangam male was not on edge but on a mission, he was roaring for a female and was moving, tigers are more expressive as my GF put it. Lions seem more confident when around people while tigers just want to slink off into the forest away from viewing eyes but Tigers seem much more unpredictable. They look you in the eye and send shivers down your spine, lions just don't acknowledge you, like you're not even worth their time.

Overall they are two very, very different cats but both command the respect of a King.
Anyone who claims that one is way bigger than the other in any aspect is probably bias, you cannot compare them with the naked eye, they are too different.

In the end, Tigers and Lions are like India and Africa. They are incomparable, both beautiful and dangerous in their own way. Better to enjoy them for what they are than try to stack them up against one another.
5 users Like Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2017, 09:00 AM by epaiva )

[quote='GrizzlyClaws' pid='787' dateline='1398657598']
Here is the ratio of the different parts of a big cat canine tooth.

2 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2017, 08:59 AM by epaiva )

@GrizzlyClaws

Picture of big and dominant Charger he was a very famous Tiger where you can see easily its gum line of upper fangs, picture taken from National Geographic book The Year of the Tiger (1998)
5 users Like epaiva's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Agree with rishi, @Pckts can you add your comparison here too
3 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Added @sanjay & @Rishi
2 users Like Pckts's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

@epaiva

He did look like a male just passed his prime, since the gum looked a bit receding and the teeth was also worn.
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-21-2017, 12:26 AM by Pckts )

I resized them so they're exactly the same, I'm going to have them both printed on the same frame, walking towards one another. I'm a little worried that there is more grass between Lion and myself than the Tiger so it may look a little off center, do you guys think it's better to have two separate photos or one photo with them together?

Or should I use this Tiger Image instead?

I personally like the first Tiger image since the lion and tiger are almost identically positioned.
3 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

I think first 2 is better to compare. Though, Comparing these type of images need extra precaution.  Like
1. Are you at same distance while capturing them ?
2. Zoom of the lens? Was it same ?
2 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Both are around 10-20 feet away from me at the time I took the photos, probably with in a few feet of one another, I don't remember what my zoom was, I use autofocus more often than manual so it adjusts automatically.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-21-2017, 07:16 PM by Rishi )

I've found some photos i'd downloaded earlier from here & there. 
Sharing the ones where they're of the same size (& most importantly, same gender) for ease of comparison...

2 users Like Rishi's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2017, 12:53 AM by Pckts )

I resized my images so both match up as best I could.
Had to scale the lion a little larger and crop the bottom out to match them up but I think they look fairly close.

What do you guys think?
5 users Like Pckts's post