There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-17-2019, 10:14 PM by Pckts )

I'm going to make confirmations and corrections to what I posted from the Big Game page, all corrections will be made from the "Jaguar Hunting in the Mato Grasso and Bolivia" book, any others will not be changed since I don't have sources to confirm or deny.

*This image is copyright of its original author

262lbs *Correct Info Posted*

Manuel Puig, of Barcelon, Spain, and Zaide made this kill. The weight posted originally was 126kg but actually it was 115kg w/a score of 20''

as stated in post #45, this guy was not 330lbs but he was shot by Ken Vaughn and his score was 20 4/16'' with an estimated weight from Almeida of at least 130kg empty. 

mrs. tomas fernandez with a record jaguar ; skull 20 8/16 *Score is correct and the weight was 109kg*

huge male 116kg 255lbs *Inconclusive*
This one is tougher because the Tailless Jaguar shot in Almeidas book was killed by Dr. Winston, of Texas and he's not shown in this picture above.
Jaguars commonly have pieces of their tails missing from Piranhas and sometimes their entire tail so they could be different cats.
Below is the Tailless Jaguar from Almeidas book.

This one had a score of 19 4/16'' and a weight of 100kg w/out a Tail.

Original Claim *131 kg 288 pounds* but most likely this is the same one as the 262lb (119kg) one shot by Mr. and Mrs. John Howell w/a score of 20 1/16''

milton meirelles shot this monster with a skull of 20 2/16 *Correct w/a weight of 113kg*

Claim *monster 127kg jaguar hunted by hector cuellar 279 pounds*
Again this one is more complicated since this image isn't from the book I have and neither are the other gentleman shown in the image above, see the original below.

This one was 118kg w/a score of 20 4/16''

Claim *knut bellinger with monster 257 pounder*
This one also isn't in the book, I'll post the original below, again notice the different individuals shown and different Cat position

This one scored a 20 11/16'' w/a weight of 108kg

That's Tony Almeida checking the weight

This tailless jag being carried by Alexandre and Walter had previously mauled two vaqueros. 

No info posted originally but this one was shot by Georg Nordmann w/a score of 20 2/16'' and a weight of 110kg

No info posted originally but this one is a bit more complicated, the image shown says "Dantas, Joao, Heinz Rahn, and Tony with Heinzi's massive male."
The only person listed above with a cat in the Almeidas book is Heinz Rahn and his cat scored a 19 2/16'' w/a weight of 95kg which leads me to believe this male above isn't the same as Heinz Rahn's male shot since this one looks much larger than that and I doubt Almeida would call a 95kg cat "massive.''
I'll read around later to try and get clarification.

No info posted originally but this one was hunted by Count Alberto Marone Cinzano, Tony, Joao, and Francisco.
It's score was 18 11/16'' with no weight listed but looks large as well, I'll search for more info on this one too. 

This one is unknown for sure but it looks similar to this one below

Score of 19 13/16 weight of 109kg

Here are a few unknown cats which look very large though and you can compare them to the ones above.

6 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-18-2019, 10:40 PM by Pckts )

I believe the Tailless Male shot in Almeidas book and this male are different.

Notice in the bottom image towards the middle of the cats body near the spine you'll see a marking with 4 rosettes inside, this cat was in *Almeidas book* and for the first one in question you don't see that same marking anywhere on him.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

5" pugmarks are considered fairly large for a male Jaguar

3 users Like Pckts's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

It looks like jaguars in the Pantanal and Llanos are the biggest.

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

(11-28-2016, 11:49 PM)Pckts Wrote: Photo and information credits: Ben Cranke Wildlife Photographer

"Meet Adriano. He weighs in at a whopping 158kg of beautiful male jaguar. I was fortunate to see him on a few occasions on this trip, and each time he was relaxed and posed so nicely for us."

Him from 2013
"Probably the heavy weight champion of Pantanal. This male was weight by Panthera organization in 2013 at 156 kg, So probably this year is over 160 kg!!!!!!!!!"

Here's a 315lb  or 142kg Pantanal Jaguar being measured and weighed

These were before scientists measured him? I think you said he wasn't 158kg (348lbs), more like 287 lbs.

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 02:54 AM by Pckts )

(10-16-2019, 01:45 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:
(11-28-2016, 11:49 PM)Pckts Wrote: Photo and information credits: Ben Cranke Wildlife Photographer

"Meet Adriano. He weighs in at a whopping 158kg of beautiful male jaguar. I was fortunate to see him on a few occasions on this trip, and each time he was relaxed and posed so nicely for us."

Him from 2013
"Probably the heavy weight champion of Pantanal. This male was weight by Panthera organization in 2013 at 156 kg, So probably this year is over 160 kg!!!!!!!!!"

These were before scientists measured him? I think you said he wasn't 158kg (348lbs), more like 287 lbs.

It's a mystery on how the 158kg claim came to be but hes been confirmed from Panthera to be 130kg.

He's a large boy but Paulo said there's quite a few Jags there who are larger than he is.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

(10-16-2019, 02:53 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Him from 2013

It's a mystery on how the 158kg claim came to be but hes been confirmed from Panthera to be 130kg.

He's a large boy but Paulo said there's quite a few Jags there who are larger than he is.

Are there any measurements on Adriano besides his weight?

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-16-2019, 02:56 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 02:53 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Him from 2013

I'll see if I can get some, but according to Paulo he's a fairly normal sized male just extremely robust in his build.

lionjaguar Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 03:36 AM by lionjaguar )

(10-16-2019, 03:06 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 02:53 AM)Pckts Wrote: It's a mystery on how the 158kg claim came to be but hes been confirmed from Panthera to be 130kg.

I'll see if I can get some, but according to Paulo he's a fairly normal sized male just extremely robust in his build.

Jaguars don't really look really big. They are heavy since they have muscular bodies. I've only seen smaller central American jaguars living in zoo. How big was female and male jaguars when you were in Pantanal? Comparing their sizes to big dogs like great pyrenees, great dane, Irish wolfhound, saint bernard, and other mastiff?

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 05:34 PM by Pckts )

(10-16-2019, 03:25 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 03:06 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 02:53 AM)Pckts Wrote: It's a mystery on how the 158kg claim came to be but hes been confirmed from Panthera to be 130kg.

Jaguars don't really look really big. They are heavy since they have muscular bodies. I've only seen smaller central American jaguars living in zoo. How big was female and male jaguars when you were in Pantanal? Comparing their sizes to big dogs like great pyrenees, great dane, Irish wolfhound, saint bernard, and other mastiff?
Shoulder height is between a Rottweiler and English Mastiff.
Marley for instance was surprisingly tall but smaller in frame, definitely taller than any Leopard I've seen but shorter than a Lioness/Tigress. He was the first Jaguar I saw and i remember being shocked how tall he was since i was expecting them to be Leopard height.
Body length is long but their spine curves so it's harder to tell, but they are very robust and their Skulls are just massive.
Females are dwarfed by large males, no matter how large the female, but the largest female I saw named Hunter was just probabaly slightly smaller than Marley but dwarfed by the male she was with. 
You can see Hunter and that male below

Hunter 
Courting with the Giant Male

The Giant Male, his height is lost due to his mass

Hunter another day I saw her, just to give you an idea of her size

Here is Marley, you can see his shoulder height

2 users Like Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

credits: Onçafari 

BRUTUS

Brutus: Brutus is a dominant cutted tailed male Jag in Refúgio Ecológico Caiman reserve, Southern Pantanal here in Brazil. He was one of the Jaguars that was spotted climbing Esperança's (female) tree. He possesses large rossetes around his body and he was given this name because of his large size. These pics were taken around 2 years ago and the Onçafari researchers at that time puted a radio colar with GPS on him and they have also measured him with 118 kilos / 260.145 lbs.  Here is the original post of Onçafari stating his weight  ( in                                portuguese). https://www.facebook.com/Oncafari/photos/a.275374992488885/2191319404227758/?type=3

So I would assume that maybe he is even bigger now.

Dirty,muddy Brutus  Funny

In this video when Brutus spent most of his time around the Refúgio Ecológico Caiman, you can see how big he was in videos.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

CREDITS: Richard Rasmussen

Big Cerrado (one of the Brazilian's Biomes) wild Jaguar.

WORTH WATCHING. 

For those Jaguar fans an lovers its in Portuguese but its worth watching (at least the footages)  Laughing

In this video Richard (a very famous animal lover in brazil) visits once again the area of Instituto Onça-Pintada where they keep Jaguars for further studies and wild introduction in case the wild species goes to extinction in Brazil. Richard was warned by Leandro Silveira ( Biologist and the President of Instituto Onça Pintada)  that they received a visit of a wild young CERRADO Jaguar and they will monitor him in the wild throughout his whole life to know more about the Cerrado Jaguars behavior and much more to save the species. From 7:06 min. you'll see the behavior difference between a capitive Male Jaguar and a wild Cerrado Male Jaguar which was lured by the capitive male. which weights 110 kilos. At 23:06 min. you can see they putting the colar on this Cerrado Jaguar, he is huge, I am really impressed about these Jaguars getting so big outside of Pantanal ( even Richard and Leandro themselves were impressed about the size) and then Leandro claims they know very little about the Cerrado Jaguars and very few were captured and monitored. At 24:08min the big fellow is being carried to be weighed and measured. Finally the so awaited moment that they weight him and find out how big a Cerrado Jaguar can get at 25:34 min in total weight they say ''CENTO E DEZ QUILOS'' 110kg or 242.508 lbs. By the end they discover he is a very healthy young male with perfect canines and already with battle scars and they wanna know how long a Cerrado Jaguar can live in the wild and then the young Cerrado Jaguar gets the name Richard in tribute to Richard himself hahaha and then he wakes up and goes back to the wild.

Instituto Onça Pintada http://jaguar.org.br/

Instituto Onça Pintada https://www.facebook.com/JaguarFund/?hc_ref=ARSPOBzCtRE0iViCu_cb2NqbhyzRuGFSsdprY2VZp78Rr9EfEWT4dVFs8u6GgOxmpyU&__tn__=kC-R

Instituto Onça Pintada https://www.youtube.com/user/JaguarFund

I am quite surprised by this Cerrado fellow.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-21-2019, 03:08 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: credits: Onçafari 

BRUTUS

Brutus: Brutus is a dominant cutted tailed male Jag in Refúgio Ecológico Caiman reserve, Southern Pantanal here in Brazil. He was one of the Jaguars that was spotted climbing Esperança's (female) tree. He possesses large rossetes around his body and he was given this name because of his large size. These pics were taken around 2 years ago and the Onçafari researchers at that time puted a radio colar with GPS on him and they have also measured him with 118 kilos / 260.145 lbs.  Here is the original post of Onçafari stating his weight  ( in                                portuguese). https://www.facebook.com/Oncafari/photos/a.275374992488885/2191319404227758/?type=3

In this video when Brutus spent most of his time around the Refúgio Ecológico Caiman, you can see how big he was in videos.

They estimated him to be 130kg now, I posted about him a few posts back as well, you can see it on post #44
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

(11-21-2019, 05:44 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 03:08 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: credits: Onçafari 

BRUTUS

They estimated him to be 130kg now, I posted about him a few posts back as well, you can see it on post #44

That's really interesting I bet he can achieve Adriano's weight. After all these conservation projects and some deals with farmers for livestock. In your personal opinion what's the AVERAGE size of a Pantanal north/south male and female Jaguar TODAY ???

Jaguar Enthusiast

credits: CGTN America youtube channel
posted in 2015

For those interested to know more about the Instituto Onça Pintada Project, here's a small documentary IN ENGLISH (over 9 minutes) in regards to it. 

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post