There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Tupan 3505 Offline
New Join

*This image is copyright of its original author

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-09-2020, 09:59 PM)Tupan 3505 Wrote:

Huge jaguars (Sorry if these images have already been posted in that topic.)
Welcome

They have been posted, if you scroll through from the beginning you'll see most and their corresponding stories.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(11-09-2020, 10:01 PM)Tupan 3505 Wrote:

Hi Tupan, this table is outdated, the updated one can be accessed here: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-modern-...#pid117445

Also keep in mind that pictures of jaguars on flattering angles do not translate to specific weights, we want to post reliable gathered weights on this thread.

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-10-2020, 05:37 PM by peter )

BALAM - DARK JAGUAR

I didn't find anything on jaguars and food intake. There is, however, a bit more on belly extension and the amount of food eaten in lions. I'm referring to a drawing that was posted a long time ago. I can't find it, but I did find a table on Cooch Behar tigers. It was posted in the tiger thread in January 2016.

It is about 'All male tigers' and 'Gorged and immature tigers'. In length and body dimensions, both groups compared very nicely. The 7 'gorged' male tigers (2 immature male tigers were left out of the equasion) averaged 512 pounds (see the liner notes, -b-), whereas all male tigers (n=53) averaged 461 pounds. The problem is this sample (referring to the 53 male tigers actually weighed) includes the 7 'gorged' tigers. 

There are different ways to get to a conclusion on the amount of meat a male tiger is able to consume. I leave that one up to you. Here's the table:      

Wild lions and tigers, as many pictures show, can eat a lot. A 'gorged' tiger or lion always has an extended belly. I never saw a picture of a 'gorged' leopard or jaguar. Could be a result of coincidence, but it's also possible jaguars and leopards seldom gorge themselves. We don't know.

I'm not sure if 'gorging' is related to size. In their great study on wild Amur tigers ('Winter ecology of the Amur tiger - Based upon observations in the west-central Sichore-Alin Mountains 1970-1973 and 1996-2010', second revised edition, Vladivostok, 2012), Yudakov and Nikolaev (referring to the period 1970-1973) wrote male tigers in particular not seldom left a quite substantial part of animals they killed untouched. Remarkable, as many posters assume Amur tigers struggle to make a living. Could be true. I saw hundreds of photographs and dozens of videos and documentaries about wild Amur tigers. Not one of them was even close to 'gorged'. 

In the recent past, however, things could have been somewhat different. Amur tigers hunting humans in the recent past (referring to, for instance, 'Big game hunting in Manchuria', N. Baikov, English translation, London, 1936) usually left next to nothing. The very large tiger shot by a member of Jankowski's team in 1943 had a lot of body fat. There are more reports about very heavy Amur tigers shot in that period (1890-1960). What do we really know? 

Anyhow. I'm sure I saw a drawing of the relation between belly extension and weight in wild lions. Could have been in the study of Smuts (on the growth of lions), but I'm not sure. My advice is to read a few studies on the growth and size of wild lions in southern Africa.
2 users Like peter's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-13-2020, 04:53 AM by Balam )

According to Gustavo Fonseca Sandro weight more than 130 kg, so I'm guessing that the figure of what 130 kg provided by Reprocon is the weighted adjusted minus the stomach content. @Dark Jaguar, you can read his post to corroborate what I'm saying;

So with this being said, I will place Sandro in the table with the value of 130 kg which is his official one, knowing that he weighed more than that due to his stomach content.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(11-13-2020, 04:52 AM)Balam Wrote: According to Gustavo Fonseca Sandro weight more than 130 kg, so I'm guessing that the figure of what 130 kg provided by Reprocon is the weighted adjusted minus the stomach content. @Dark Jaguar, you can read his post to corroborate what I'm saying;

So with this being said, I will place Sandro in the table with the value of 130 kg which is his official one, knowing that he weighed more than that due to his stomach content.

That's right @Balam, According to him Sandro weighed more than 130 kg.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

The Edno vs Balam debate continues, Lawrence Wana who is a professional photographer that has spent multiple times at the Pantanal and has seen both males up close believes Edno to be larger:

At this point we're not going to get a straight answer until both of these giants are weighed but I'd still put my money on Edno. Recently Valter Patrial updated his estimates on Edno's size to 140-145 kg closer to the JID's 150+ kg.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-23-2020, 05:28 AM)Balam Wrote: The Edno vs Balam debate continues, Lawrence Wana who is a professional photographer that has spent multiple times at the Pantanal and has seen both males up close believes Edno to be larger:

At this point we're not going to get a straight answer until both of these giants are weighed but I'd still put my money on Edno. Recently Valter Patrial updated his estimates on Edno's size to 140-145 kg closer to the JID's 150+ kg.
No one in the north sees these Jaguars more than JagID. But of course each can see different things, they're obviously close regardless.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Pckts Lawrence also said that he believes that Balam would win in a fight with Edno, which is interesting. I've always thought Balam is the more menacing and aggressive one despite Edno's probable size advantage.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-23-2020, 05:47 AM)Balam Wrote: @Pckts Lawrence also said that he believes that Balam would win in a fight with Edno, which is interesting. I've always thought Balam is the more menacing and aggressive one despite Edno's probable size advantage.

When Balam beat up Marley, that was the first time Paulo had seen him before. That shows his boldness, he was a relative new face in the meeting of the 3 rivers yet he was already standing his ground and chasing off a very capable Jaguar in Marley.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

HAPPY NATIONAL/INTERNARTIONAL ONÇA-PINTADA DAY

110 kg Zezão male captured by Peter Crawshaw.

credits: Peter Crawshaw Jr / Sérgio Almeida

You're looking at a head of 70.5 cm of girth and the rest you already know.

Peter Crawshaw and Zezão.

5 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Jaguars Captured in Porto Jofre during the fires:

We already had records of Aju and Ousado males at 110 and 75 kg respectively, but Abigail from the JID sent me another male named Jofe that was captured and weighed 96 kg:

Her opinion on the Edno/Balam debate:

3 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 10:49 PM by Balam )

(05-23-2020, 10:13 PM)Balam Wrote:
MODERN WEIGHT LIST FOR PANTANAL JAGUARS (M)

Last Update: Dec 12, 2020

MODERN WEIGHT LIST FOR PANTANAL JAGUARS (F)

4 users Like Balam's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Alleged 90kg Texas Jaguar

"This is the second-to-last jaguar ever killed in Texas. It was shot in 1946 by ranch hand Reynaldo Reymito on the San Jose Ranch near Olmito, Texas. The last jaguar was killed a couple of years later near kingsville"
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-13-2020, 03:50 AM by Pckts )

Above is that estimated 130kg Empty Jaguar Almeida's is talking about.
And just to give you an idea of that Massive 5'' plus pugmark size Jaguar, the largest Jaguar Almeida weighed was 119kg and his pugmark was "4 3/4'' inch across the print of the forefoot on hard sand."
Almeida said the next month they rode down the familiar trail, there it was, the 5''+ pugmark again from the massive male he was never able to capture. 
"It was also in this territory that he found a female so enormous that in many measurements, she rivalled fully grown males." pg 128
She was 80'' long between the pegs with a 24'' tail. "Her girth behind the shoulder was 39 1/2'', belly girth of 43'' and skull scored 18'' and weighed 86kg and was very old by the time they caught her, she had orange teeth and a scarred face." page 129
"Her progeny with any of the monster males that prowl, or prowled, that region are doubtless even now growing to exceptional size."
3 users Like Pckts's post