There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-13-2019, 09:18 AM by Rishi )

(02-13-2019, 01:14 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 04:04 PM)Sanju Wrote: Grown up tigers can't be released from Park: Arunachal forest officials

PTI| Apr 08, 2018, 12.49 PM IST

*This image is copyright of its original author

ITANAGAR: Two tiger cubs, rescued in 2012 from Angrim in Dibang Valley district in Arunachal Pradesh, have grown up in captivity and now can't be released them into the wild due to delay in procedures, forest officials said today. "The tigers are well settled now and they have gained weight and increased in size. The approximate weight of the male tiger now is around 300 kg while the female weighs more than 200 kg," park curator Raya Flago said.

Male 'Ipra' and female 'Chipi' have been brought at the Biological Park here in September 2013 after they were rescued from Angrim.

"The tigers are well settled now and they have gained weight and increased in size.
Quote:The approximate weight of the male tiger now is around "300 kg" shocked while the female weighs more than 200 kg, shocked  wtf!?" park curator Raya Flago said.

Fed on the stipulated diet of 10 kg beef each per day, Ipra and Chipi were supposed to be released in the wild but it is too late now as they have grown and might not cope well in the wild. Moreover, delay in certain official procedures has sealed their chance for releasing in the wild, he said.

"During 2015 we have submitted a proposal to the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) for releasing Ipra and Chipi to the wild. However, due to delay in certain formalities it could not be materialised. There are certain protocols to be followed for releasing tiger in the wild," he said.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new...665866.cms
The real question is, if the weights are accurate. Can these tigers be considered truly wild?

No, they live in a zoo. Their lean muscle mass is likely lesser... more fat percentage.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 02-16-2019, 08:21 AM by Kingtheropod )

Translocated Royal Bengal Tiger found dead in Odisha forest, may have got injured while trying to get out of snare

The exact reason of the three-year-old tiger’s death will be ascertained after a postmortem is conducted, a senior forest official said Thursday. The royal bengal tiger was brought from Madhya Pradesh’s Kanha Tiger Reserve on June 21 and released in the wild on July 7.

"The three-year-old male tiger, which was relocated from Madhya Pradesh to Satkosia reserve in Odisha’s Angul district, most likely died because of a wound on its neck, wildlife officials said on Thursday.
Officials said while speaking to the Hindustan Times the tiger’s carcass was found 500 metres from Raigoda area of the reserve at 1 pm. The tiger, identified as MB2 and named Mahavir by Satkosia officials, was part of the first tiger translocation exercise in the country was shifted from Madhya Pradesh’s Bandhavgarh National Park to the Odisha reserve earlier this year.
Satkosia tiger reserve’s divisional forest officer P Ramaswamy said the spot was inside the Nuagarh reserve forest of Athgarh forest division, which has been proposed to be included in the tiger reserve. The carcass was lying under a bush when officials saw it.
“On prima facie investigation of the carcass, a deep lacerated and five-day-old maggot-infected wound was observed in the dorsal neck region of the tiger which may be the cause of the mortality,” said Ramaswamy, who has been appointed as the investigating officer to inquire into the matter.
“The site of incidence was not disturbed as per the NTCA (National Tiger Conservation Authority) protocol. The exact reason of the mortality and time of incidence will be ascertained after conducting a detailed post-mortem examination. The carcass would be incinerated after post-mortem,” he said.
Officials said a team comprising veterinary doctors, NTCA representative, local NGO and others in accordance with standard operating procedure of NTCA has been formed to conduct the post-mortem examination.
Mahavir, weighing 195 kg, was brought to Satkosia tiger reserve on June 21 from Bandhavgarh after a 22-hour-long road journey. It was later released into the core area and had adjusted itself with the new surroundings. Officials said it had mated with the only tigress of the reserve last month.
Though officials were tight-lipped about the reason behind the injury, sources said the tiger may have landed in a snare set by poachers for catching wild boars and deers.
“It’s possible that the tiger suffered injury on its neck while trying to get out of the snare,” said a source.
There were two surveillance teams that was supposed to keep a watch on the tiger’s movements, but officials said they did not detect any unusual movements in the last couple of days.
Wildlife experts expressed their surprise as to how the tiger’s movement could not be detected despite the radio frequency and satellite collar on its neck.
Tiger conservationist Ullas Karanth said the Odisha forest department personnel may have lacked professionalism and expertise in tracking it.
“Just having a radio-collar on the tiger’s neck isn’t enough. Expertise is needed to track it on regular basis,” said Karanth.
He said the authorities, including NTCA and WII, should have taken into account the prey base of the tiger reserve before introducing the tigers.
“At least 500 prey is needed for a tiger for its survival. A proper prey-base study using line-transact method is the proper procedure. I doubt if this was done,” he said.
PK Sen, former director of Project Tiger in an interview to HT, had also questioned the relocation exercise calling the prey base in Satkosia as not enough to support big cats.
“Satkosia is not an inviolate area by any stretch of imagination and there is hardly any herbivores there. In 1996, I had opposed declaring Satkosia as a tiger reserve. It’s a disastrous exercise,” he had said.
The tiger relocation exercise is already in trouble since September when tigress Sundari, relocated from Bandhavgarh in June, allegedly mauled a 45-year-old woman living near the reserve to death. Though it’s not yet confirmed if the woman died due to the tiger attack, the incident triggered violence by locals who burned the forest department’s boats and beat house.
On October 21, Sundari had mauled a 65-year-old man living in the reserve to death while he had gone to inspect his crop of potato tubers. With public anger mounting the state wildlife officials decided on tranquillising the tigress and could only capture it last week after a series of failed operations.

State forest minister Bijoyshree Routray wanted to send Sundari to Nandankanan zoo, but wildlife officials have decided to keep it in a special enclosure inside the tiger reserve.

Officials admitted the deaths dealt a body blow to the ambitious tiger relocation exercise conceived by the Union ministry of environment and forests, National Tiger Conservation Authority and Wildlife Institute of India.
Under the exercise, six tigers (three pairs) from different reserves of Madhya Pradesh were to be sent to Odisha. After Mahavir and Sundari, a second male tiger was to be sent from Kanha and three were to be sent from two national parks in Madhya Pradesh."

*Mahavir was translocated to Satkosia tiger reserve in June of 2018, and died on November 2018 at three years old. This means he was weighed before the age of three.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new...vArbJ.html
1 user Likes Kingtheropod's post

Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 02-17-2019, 11:00 AM by Rishi )

The Big Bhookad

"Welcome to the jungle and my office! In Kanha, if you spot a Tiger, you will either be following it or it will be following you." said Vipul to introduce himself on our first safari together on Sunday morning; who had eyes and a smile as curious and innocent as Mowgli and is practising being a naturalist (an expert in natural history) at Taj Banjaar Tola since the last three years of his life. During our first safari which began moments after sunrise, at 5:15 AM, when the sun had already risen and it was completely dry; we entered the jungle with our fingers crossed. We successfully spotted wild dogs, jackals, sambhar + spotted deers, magnificently massive gaurs (Indian bison) and several kinds of wild birds + a few creepy yet fascinating insects into the wild. However, we did not see a single #tiger. We collectively decided to bravely enter the jungle again, twelve hours later in the evening. After an hour and a half of battling our immunities against the ice cold droplets, Vipul continued driving until the Rain Gods subsided the downpour momentarily, probably only for us to coincidentally take a short break at Baghpullia, a small territory frequented by tigers of the national park. We waited. What happened next, not only left me oddly scared and silent immediately afterwards but shaken and stunned for 2 days after that moment. The Umarpani Male, also known as T30, the biggest and the dominant king of Mukki jungle in #Kanha, suddenly appeared out of the bushes and walked straight towards our jeep! He was is in his prime, weighing about 245 KGs and holds around 3 females I was told. Out of the three, 2 females have cubs; one has 4 cubs and the other just one. Umarpani stopped only for a few seconds meters away from our vehicle, to give every one of us inside a long intense stare; before he continued marking his territories again by spraying urine on the bushes out there. We followed him for the next 15 minutes and I still cannot believe what I witnessed out there. Thank you Taj Safaris and Vipul (gonna call him 'Modern Mowgli' for life) for this one-of-a-kind and unforgettable experience. It was nothing short of pure magic! I'll be back very soon!"

https://facebook.com/TheBigBhookad/photo..._tn__=EH-R
2 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-17-2019, 09:08 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: The Big Bhookad

"Welcome to the jungle and my office! In Kanha, if you spot a Tiger, you will either be following it or it will be following you." said Vipul to introduce himself on our first safari together on Sunday morning; who had eyes and a smile as curious and innocent as Mowgli and is practising being a naturalist (an expert in natural history) at Taj Banjaar Tola since the last three years of his life. During our first safari which began moments after sunrise, at 5:15 AM, when the sun had already risen and it was completely dry; we entered the jungle with our fingers crossed. We successfully spotted wild dogs, jackals, sambhar + spotted deers, magnificently massive gaurs (Indian bison) and several kinds of wild birds + a few creepy yet fascinating insects into the wild. However, we did not see a single #tiger. We collectively decided to bravely enter the jungle again, twelve hours later in the evening. After an hour and a half of battling our immunities against the ice cold droplets, Vipul continued driving until the Rain Gods subsided the downpour momentarily, probably only for us to coincidentally take a short break at Baghpullia, a small territory frequented by tigers of the national park. We waited. What happened next, not only left me oddly scared and silent immediately afterwards but shaken and stunned for 2 days after that moment. The Umarpani Male, also known as T30, the biggest and the dominant king of Mukki jungle in #Kanha, suddenly appeared out of the bushes and walked straight towards our jeep! He was is in his prime, weighing about 245 KGs and holds around 3 females I was told. Out of the three, 2 females have cubs; one has 4 cubs and the other just one. Umarpani stopped only for a few seconds meters away from our vehicle, to give every one of us inside a long intense stare; before he continued marking his territories again by spraying urine on the bushes out there. We followed him for the next 15 minutes and I still cannot believe what I witnessed out there. Thank you Taj Safaris and Vipul (gonna call him 'Modern Mowgli' for life) for this one-of-a-kind and unforgettable experience. It was nothing short of pure magic! I'll be back very soon!"

https://d.facebook.com/TheBigBhookad/pho..._tn__=EH-R

Is that an actual weight? Can’t belive it’s such a low weight if it’s true. Umarpani was so big compared to MV2.

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-17-2019, 10:57 AM by Rishi )

(02-17-2019, 10:42 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: Is that an actual weight? Can’t belive it’s such a low weight if it’s true. Umarpani was so big compared to MV2.

50kg is a significant weight difference! 

245kg is a very specific number, but I don't know if he was ever tranqed & weighed though... @Kingtheropod did you learn anything on that regard from them?

Bigcat Expert

(02-17-2019, 10:56 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 10:42 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: Is that an actual weight? Can’t belive it’s such a low weight if it’s true. Umarpani was so big compared to MV2.

245kg is a very specific number, but I don't know if he was ever tranqed & weighed though... @Kingtheropod did you learn anything on that regard from them?

I haven't heard anything more, but I'll keep you posted if I get more info.
2 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-17-2019, 10:56 AM)Rishi Wrote:

I know it’s a big difference, but I have personally worked with two adult male lions where the larger one, out weighed the smaller by 60+ kg. And they where much more similar in size than Umarpani and MV2 in that video. Both lions where slim and fit. 

Will ofcourse be different with wild animals and another species, but it’s probably a true weight because 245 was very specific. Just a little surprised, maybe MV2 had fed well when captured? But still 245 kg is enormous for a cat.
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Can someone verify this with Minh Ha or @Vijay Rajan

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-17-2019, 02:38 PM by Pckts )

I'm sure it's an estimate, he hasn't been captured or weighed any time leading up to now, so unless it was recently done which I doubt, it's got to be an estimate.
Also the person speaking is just a tourist, very few people would have access to that info and a tourist or aspiring naturalists would not.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-22-2019, 04:16 AM by epaiva )

Book The Way of the Tiger - K. Ullas Karanth

4 users Like epaiva's post

Canada Wolverine Away

6 users Like Wolverine's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

Yes, I noticed him in your post in the Amur tiger thread. Some years ago, I contacted Miquelle about new info on the weight of wild Amur tigers. He said there would be a follow-up on the table published in 2005, but I haven't seen anything so far.

For now, 'Luke', at 212 kg. or 468 pounds, still tops the table. Two other males, at 207 kg. (459 pounds) and 204 kg. (451 pounds), also exceeded 200 kg. (442 pounds). Same for the famous bear hunter 'Dale', who was 205 kg. (453 pounds) the first time he was weighed. Not much later, after losing a few canines, he was 170 kg. (375 pounds). His average (he was weighed 3 times) was 192 kg. (424 pounds). This means he was about 202 kg. (447 pounds) the third time he was weighed.

Maybe the time has arrived to contact Miquelle or the one heading the Amur Tiger Programme again, Wolverine.
5 users Like peter's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 08:09 AM by Wolverine )

This extremely impressive male looks like a tank. The only info I have is that he was noticed last spring (2018) walking on the road not far from town of Blagoveshchensk on the north of Amur river. Its known that Amur tigers now are colonizing the areas north of Amur river but its surprise for me that they have moved so far on the west. See where is on the map Blagoveshchensk, its far beyond Ussuriland:

1 user Likes Wolverine's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 08:04 AM by Rishi )

(03-01-2019, 01:27 PM)Wolverine Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 03:55 AM)Wolverine Wrote: This extremely impressive male looks like a tank. The only info I have is that he was noticed last spring (2018) walking on the road not far from town of Blagoveshchensk on the north of Amur river. Its known that Amur tigers now are colonizing the areas north of Amur river but its surprise for me that they have moved so far on the north. See where is on the map Blagoveshchensk, its far beyond Ussuriland:

Same guy? Then put that map in your "Amur tigers" post on him too...
Is his weight in the post #300 by @peter?

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 08:21 AM by Wolverine )

I don't think we have any particular data for this mighty specimen with exception of the location where the photo was made.

I got the image from here:
http://www.nat-geo.ru/photo/1199786/
1 user Likes Wolverine's post