There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

One of the males shifted from Ranthambore to Sariska, can anyone ID him ?

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Apollo's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(12-30-2015, 06:58 AM)Dr Panthera Wrote: Lions and tigers being very similar in morphology and ecology may lose up to 20% of body mass per year when they enter old age ( over ten years of age) , more drastic weight loss is likely to be due to injury or disease, this tiger was not old so it is unusual to drop from say 250kg to 180 in a few months is due to disease or injury.
I know of an old lion who was evicted at age 10 from a pride in Kruger when he was around 222 kg he died at age 14 and his mass was estimated at 102 kg so old animals can lose condition quickly but not young or prime aged animals.

The old individuals in the wild always turned into bone and skin, but I guess in the captivity they won't lose the weight so quickly as in the wild.

United States BoldChamp Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 01:48 PM by BoldChamp )

(12-29-2015, 08:59 PM)Pckts Wrote: Show me the STP report where a healthy male dropped 40kgs in a 3 month time frame?

It's never happened unless said animal is injured or sick. And I still see no point here that goes against what is already been said and shown for  Ustad.
He was healthy, breeding and hunting, captured at 250kg, then forced to be caged, wouldn't eat and had surgery again.

I dont have an account of that happening, but some of his weight could have been stomach contents, and he could have lost his stomach reserves, as well as natural weight loss from receiving little food. I also think the 250 kg Ustad was stated to weigh was an estimate. That`s the problem when several different articles are used, sometimes the info gets misconstrued. I dont doubt he was weighed, but i`v seen several times when articles misquoted the weight of a particular animal that was actually weighed. One article states that the container T-24 was transported in weighed 250 kg, and then we have another saying that cat weighs that amount?
1 user Likes BoldChamp's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-30-2015, 10:22 AM)Apollo Wrote: One of the males shifted from Ranthambore to Sariska, can anyone ID him ?

Wasn't he s6 or something like that? Weighed 220kg
2 users Like Pckts's post

( This post was last modified: 01-01-2016, 09:49 PM by BoldChamp )

(12-30-2015, 08:40 PM)Pckts Wrote: I'd also like to see the alleged article where it quotes "the container" as being 250kg.
The only article I have seen that quoted him at 250kg is the one posted here and the weight of 240kg at 3.5yr isn't a article, it's an email from the vet.

You cannot just switch from an alleged Stp report that you can't provide or say he was gorged which would never account for a 50+kg weight loss or old age since he's in his prime or whatever else until you find something that sticks.
This is a completely unprecedented incident, simple as that.

I figured you`ve seen everything from the STP. Also, i dont think Ustad ever weighed 250 kg. I dont have a lot of time these days to search through all the data though. Not now, anyways.

(12-30-2015, 08:40 PM)Pckts Wrote: I'd also like to see the alleged article where it quotes "the container" as being 250kg.
The only article I have seen that quoted him at 250kg is the one posted here and the weight of 240kg at 3.5yr isn't a article, it's an email from the vet.

You cannot just switch from an alleged Stp report that you can't provide or say he was gorged which would never account for a 50+kg weight loss or old age since he's in his prime or whatever else until you find something that sticks.
This is a completely unprecedented incident, simple as that.

Here is that article (page 5):

http://www.teriuniversity.ac.in/mct/pdf/...khawat.pdf

Another non-pdf article stated the container weighed that as well. When the weight of this tiger was first brought to my attention, the first article i saw on him never mentioned his weight....just the weight of the container he was carried in.

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-02-2016, 01:21 AM by tigerluver )

@BoldChamp. T24 was confirmed by Dr. Bilal Habib to weigh 240 kg at 3.5 yrs old and took 270+ kg of sedative to be tranquilized last year for constipation. 

Yes, the article mass has yet to be confirmed, but if he was 240 kg and 3.5 yrs, 250 kg is nearly guaranteed in his prime. Moreover, listen to yourself. So T24 weighs 0 kg if the container weight was included? Please do not debate this point any longer, it was settled long ago. We want productive discussion and debate, and sometimes, you have to step away from the obsession with control of size.
5 users Like tigerluver's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Like tigerluver said, it's already confirmed. If you'd like me to post the confirmation email here, just ask. But something tells me you've already seen it so what point are you trying to make exactly?

The tigers from that article are about s6 who weighed 220kg btw.

Ustad was weighed during a medication treatment like tigerluver said.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

Hi guys,

This is not bengal tiger but siberian tiger, if u guys feel its inappropriate then please feel free to move this post to a different section.

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin aided a program to track the tigers by shooting a 5-year-old female cat with a tranquilizer gun after it had freed itself from a restraint.

2 users Like Apollo's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

We have been getting alot of reliable information on weights and measurements on wild tigers, but unfortunately most of this info and data is scattered all over in several threads.
Thanks to @peter for suggesting this idea of starting a thread dedicated for wild tiger weights and body measurements.
I request all mods to kindly move all related posts here from other threads.
I also request all members to continue the discussions and informations related to wild tiger weights at here from now onwards.

Thanks
5 users Like Apollo's post

India Vinay Offline
Banned

Superb idea and this format is better. 

Siberian

Bengal

4 users Like Vinay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

1) Tiger named poochkanta exceeded 230 kg. (Sinha via facebook)

2) Tiger Konda and Banda both exceeded scale of 225 kg in 2007, in Kanha national park. (Minh Ha via facebook). Tiger son of BMW of pench weighed 225 kg at 2.5 years old, after death. And a female tiger, also mentioned at the bottom, weighed 145 kg at 2.5 years old, weighed in 2008.

Also an message confirming Jai was weighed a second time (Sadly, conflicting data shown) one 240 kg and another 215kg. Best go with original figure c.230kg from first weighing.

A picture of the 145 kg tigress...

Another female tiger. Credits to pckts weighed 150 kg...

"T-2 of Panna who was originally Indri female junior of Kanha, weighed 150kg at 3.5 yrs old. Both of these weights were taken when they're darted."
according to minh source...
Indri female eating her dead cub. Another interesting behaviour. She was Indri female Junior and now she's T2 of Panna.
OL:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/...311389.cms

2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

250kg Ustad

220-238kg for Jai from UK

185kg For Gabbar from Tadoba
85kg Choti Tara