There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Tanzania (Serengeti, Ngorongoro and others)

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

credits Daniel Dolphire, Black Rock males, Tanzania, Kleins Camp :)

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Gamiz's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I'll be adding some personal pictures here in no time. :)
4 users Like Pckts's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

when was this photo taken?
how old are the lions now?
are they still alive?
2 users Like LionKiss's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Those lions are probably 4-5 years old, The Serengeti has 2500 lions or so which is where those lions are probably from. Since Tarangire isn't visited as frequently and selous park is very hard terrain to spot lions but it's actually almost double the size of the Serengeti. There are a few other smaller parks as well but I'm not familiar with them.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

(09-16-2016, 11:33 AM)Pckts Wrote: Those lions are probably 4-5 years old, The Serengeti has 2500 lions or so which is where those lions are probably from. Since Tarangire isn't visited as frequently and selous park is very hard terrain to spot lions but it's actually almost double the size of the Serengeti. There are a few other smaller parks as well but I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks, I am glad to see a big lion population in Serengeti.
this is a map with all the Parks in Tanzania 

5 users Like LionKiss's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Tanzania is the african country which still counts the biggest lion population and is also one of the poorest country of this continent. You cannot have one without the other. Actually it is a fact...
Because it is one of the poorest country of the continent, Tanzania has a lot of big parks. But because it is one of the poorest, it could suffer from an intensive and disastrous poaching (like Mozambique, Ouganda, Zambie and so on, before and now). The balance is very fragile.
The inhabitants of Tanzania have always been around the lions. Because of this tradition they can accept them. But the countries having never provided shelter for wild populations of big felines cannot be able to accept them from day to day. This is illusory to believe that.
If the country enjoys big open natural spaces, it can provide shelter for wild animals and big felines, but it has ot be helped (persuasion and approval of the people living around this future animal sanctuaries): persuasion and source of funding.
5 users Like Spalea's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Tanzania isn't as poor as you make it out to be and the country receives massive amounts of financial gain from its tourism. Even the Maasai are very wealthy they just choose to live the way they do. They are rich in cattle and land.
5 users Like Pckts's post

Wildanimal Lover

per capita gnp of Tanzania: 674 $ per years (Wikipedia). OK not as poor as that, but it is not a lot.

Yes, fortunately, the tourism is the main resource of the country.
5 users Like Spalea's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-17-2016, 01:03 PM by Pckts )

The Maasai doesn't register in the gnp and the country is a tourist attraction meaning most of the money they receive is through tips and the selling of good by street venders that are made by them.

Trust, I'm here as we speak, this country is full of money and beautiful adventures at every turn and the safaris are the glue that hold it together. You can bet that Tanzania will always be a safe haven for wildlife enthusiasts.
6 users Like Pckts's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Pckts:

About #39: You told: "You can bet that Tanzania will always be a safe haven for wildlife enthusiasts."

Very happy to read that !
6 users Like Spalea's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

@Pckts,

above I have posted a map of Tanzania, could you tell me in what other areas there are lions?
Are there only in the Parks or all over the country.
5 users Like LionKiss's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-17-2016, 11:06 AM by Pckts )

I know for sure they are in Tarangire, selous, Serengeti and the crater but from the sounds of it, they are pretty much all over Tanzania. The terrain is so different from mile to mile that some parts are just very hard to explore and lions travel so far. For instance, the Maasai are not allowed inside the Serengeti and sometimes the lions travel all the way out to occasionally take cattle. 

Lions pretty much adapt to every terrain here and other than the human inhabitated parts of the country and the dense forest, lions will roam.

Lions and all wildlife are very cautious of human beings, the Maasai are allowed to walk their cattle inside the crater to graze every day and yet they hardly ever suffer attacks, it's always at night if no one is watching. I went to a Maasai village as well and that was the most eye opening experience of my life.
6 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-17-2016, 01:09 PM by Pckts )

Also, one more thing to add, in Tanzania there are 4 different tribes and the Maasai are the 3rd largest, even with in the Maasai they can speak upwards of 120 different dialects, my guide is banto (I don't know how to spell it) and that is the largest tribe in Tanzania.

The Maasai walk their cattle to graze every day and this is done by 5 year olds, I'm not kidding!
The women build the houses, cook and make goods to sell. My guide jokingly said the men "drink beer" but it really sounds like the women hold it together. Men will travel into town and they intermix with the people, no problem. They just prefer to live their traditional way, they don't need educations for their survival, only natures law.
5 users Like Pckts's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Kitty of the Day - "Bad Hair Day" - Namiri Plains, Serengeti, Tanzania

Invite you all to visit my on-line gallery at ... http://www.PCRimages.com
7 users Like Gamiz's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

credits Osman Nnacho...............Ngorongoro crater

4 users Like Gamiz's post