There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-24-2023, 08:30 AM by Timbavati )

Actually, as per the Expert Darren Donovan who worked in Manyeleti through the golden years of the Matimbas, HB was massive, despite all six being big males, he described as "They're all big. But the hairy belly is massive" . November, 2015.
Which could indicates that he was the biggest of the 6 as well.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(03-24-2023, 08:28 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Actually, as per the Expert Darren Donovan who worked in Manyeleti through the golden years of the Matimbas, HB was massive, despite all six being big males, he described as "They're all big. But the hairy belly is massive" . November, 2015.
Which could indicates that he was the biggest of the 6 as well.

Interesting, so it's a different opinion from the Timbavati ranger. Guess then it may be a case HB and Ndhuna were close enough that different people would have different takes. Still I'd say that HB had by far the most impressive mane which may make him look more impressive, in comparison Ndhuna had the smallest mane between all 6. I remember Rob saying Masai Mara lions looked more impressive because they often had larger manes but were likely not any bigger than S.Africa lions, and he worked years in both SS and Mara.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-24-2023, 09:30 PM by Tr1x24 )

(03-24-2023, 08:19 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Nov 18 2011:

*This image is copyright of its original author

This massive male is Hairy Belly and not Ndhuna.

Even on this most famous photo of Matimbas together, we can see how massive HB was in body (although picture is not good for comparing) :

Ndhuna was the biggest when they where young and hanging in Manyeleti (where rangers call him biggest) , but once they all matured, rangers said HB was biggest.

Not saying that Ndhuna was small, he was bigger then SN in height.

Rest of Matimbas, including HB and Ndhuna where all around the same height and lenght ,even HB was not noticable taller then Ginger.

But why HB stand out from the rest, its his massive body structure, just look at some HB pictures from his prime years, you dont get much bigger and bulkier then that.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 yes, it's HB, like I said it was... Dunno why you thought I was saying it was Ndhuna.

I was showing that even HB, the youngest, was already very well developed 1 year before the ranger called Ndhuna the biggest, meaning there'd be no excuse about them not being in their prime at the end of November 2012.

Idk why you think HB was taller than Ginger, do you have any evidence? All photos and vids I see it seems they are either same height or Ginger is taller.

I agree HB was more robust than Ginger and extremely impressive in his prime, but you're ignoring that he was like basically in his prime already at the end of 2012, he has the most developed mane by far which makes him look bigger but still ranger thought Ndhuna was the biggest.

Also worthy mentioning that he vanished at the end of 2012, beginning of 2013, so talks about HB being the biggest later may not include him.

Anyway I don't doubt HB may have been the biggest, like you said at his prime it's hard to imagine something more impressive, but I think it's not 100% certain given Ndhuna was said to be the biggest and despite there being very little photos of him ( unlike HB ) some shared here show he also was very robust.

Look at his arms and body, credit to Katia Meijs:

1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-25-2023, 12:27 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 yes, it's HB, like I said it was... Dunno why you thought I was saying it was Ndhuna.

I was showing that even HB, the youngest, was already very well developed 1 year before the ranger called Ndhuna the biggest, meaning there'd be no excuse about them not being in their prime at the end of November 2012.

Idk why you think HB was taller than Ginger, do you have any evidence? All photos and vids I see it seems they are either same height or Ginger is taller.

I agree HB was more robust than Ginger and extremely impressive in his prime, but you're ignoring that he was like basically in his prime already at the end of 2012, he has the most developed mane by far which makes him look bigger but still ranger thought Ndhuna was the biggest.

Also worthy mentioning that he vanished at the end of 2012, beginning of 2013, so talks about HB being the biggest later may not include him.

Anyway I don't doubt HB may have been the biggest, like you said at his prime it's hard to imagine something more impressive, but I think it's not 100% certain given Ndhuna was said to be the biggest and despite there being very little photos of him ( unlike HB ) some shared here show he also was very robust.

Look at his arms and body, credit to Katia Meijs:

Nhduna and Slitnose in the picture above. Just in case anyone doesn’t know it
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Original image of the Matimba males (except for Ginger) together posted before by @Tr1x24 
Photo credits: Tintswalo Lodge

7 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

11 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

WhiteFace greeting Shaka.

One of the rare footages of Shaka, he disappeared/died later that year i think.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Hairy Belly in June 2011 by Rudolf Kals:

8 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Was browsing FB and by accident found a cool post by Agustin Sepulveda with photos of the Birmingham pride, young Matimbas, Matimba's sisters, and one of the Old Skybed males in October 2006:

He said in the post that he couldn't find any photos with HB before May 2007, reasoning that he must have been born very late into 2006 and that's why he didn't show up in earlier photos, which was what we already thought was the case.
10 users Like Mapokser's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Recent picture of Zigzag and Shaka by Tintswalo

9 users Like lionuk's post

Pakistan Asif Ali Offline
Banned

Matimba Male

Taken by Drizzle Jordan

Attached Files Image(s)

Banned

[attachment=10753]Nduna Matimba

Banned

I am unable to upload. Someone please guide. Thanks

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Could this be Slitnose?

Shared by Richard Miller in 2010, he used to take photos of the Matimbas in that year.
2 users Like Mapokser's post