There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

Exclusive Mapogo pics 
Dreadlocks Mapogo

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like fursan syed's post

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned

"Sorry to bring the news: The trio is down to two, the legend have fallen, the Mohawk male, Mr T, of the Mapogo male lions was killed this morning by The Southern males." (Khimbini, March 16, 2012)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150627203169495&set=o.53143473813&type=3&theater
2 users Like AbcXyz's post

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned

The last battle.

"...These 4 new males have slowly come into the area over the last 2 weeks and finally caught 1 of 3 dominant males in our area and unfortunately he did die at the end of this battle, it was sad seeing this all happen in front of me. We didn't stay to the end because my guests and I actually had enough and we left the sighting. So now these four are probably going to find the other two eventually and do the same." (Craig Parsons)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=3&theater

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned

5th to 11th July 2010

Report by Liam Rainier, Simbambili (posted on July 16th, 2010)

"The most interesting developments regarding lions have arisen after the death of one of the Mapogo males. The four new males, known as the Majingilane males, have unfortunately caught and killed two of the Tsalala Pride cubs and the pride has split into two groups one of four and one of five. The two groups were seen moving through the property trying to locate each other, they eventually did this on Thursday evening and were seen moving north before they crossed out of our traversing area.

The Tsalala Pride, were moving away from the threat of the four new males, who killed and brought down a buffalo in the open areas around Arathusa Safari Lodge in the central part of the reserve. The males spent two days feeding on of the kill before heading further east.

The Styx Pride have had a rather tough time of late and are now down to six members, with one of the young females believed to have died after receiving a bad mauling from one of the male lions. The three adult lionesses are still moving constantly trying to keep the remaining three sub-adult lions alive."

https://www.thornybush.co.za/blog/5th-to-11th-july-2010

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2019, 01:52 PM by AbcXyz )

Simbambili is very close to Elephant Plains, only a couple of kilometers. Even a lion roar can be heard at that distance! I don't want to speculate, but the obvious fact that this ranger is not aware of a big lion fight is for me another proof that no lion fight took place in that area at that time.

This is a map of Sabi Sand lodges:
http://www.eyesonafrica.net/south-africa...safari.htm
How far could be Simbambili from Elephant Plains (lodges 7 and 30)? Probably less than 3 km.

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2019, 09:16 PM by AbcXyz )

Adam Bannister from Londolozi is unaware of a great fight between the Mapogos and Majingilanes.

" 'Greatest showdown of male lions ever seen', never actually materialized. " (Adam Bannister)
http://blog.londolozi.com/2011/03/02/the...coalition/

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2019, 01:58 PM by AbcXyz )

Elephant Plains Newsletter
Ranger’s Report - July 2010
http://www.elephantplains.co.za/newslett..._nr07.html

"At the moment, it is still a sad topic as the take-over by the Majingi’s seems to be well underway. I think it is safe to say that the Mapogo’s are no longer the dominant lions in our area, but I might still be surprised during the coming months. The western sector is where they are at and it seems that that is where they are going to stay. Why do I say this? During a cold morning drive this month, two of the Majingi’s picked up on the scent of the Tsalala’s and found them. We just had to sit and wait as the terrifying sound of their roaring came closer and closer. Some of the Tsalalas knew what was going on and ran off. But as always B.B stood her ground and did not run. The males saw her and started to run after her. Thankfully they gave up on her and let them get away. We sighed with relief when everything was over. 

Then it dawned on me: there was all this noise and commotion that went on and yet there was still no sign of the Mapogo’s arriving to save the day. To this day, we have not seen the Mapogo’s again. 

Time will tell if my predictions are correct. The Styx pride is all safe, except for the young male. The reason I reckon that they are safe is because the females have already mated with the new males, so they won’t kill them as they are awaiting the arrival of their new offspring. What you need to do is to keep watching this space, as well as our Face Book group, or Twitter updates for news on the new lion dynamics. 

As far as we know the Mapogo’s have re-established their territories to the west and they seemed to have lost all interest in the northern sector. But as I said, nothing is predictable!"
3 users Like AbcXyz's post

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 10:06 PM by AbcXyz )

Elephant Plains Newsletter
Ranger’s Report - August 2010

https://www.elephantplains.co.za/newslet...UJN2Ks3c48

"As far as the Mapogos go, they seem to be something of the past for now. We received news that they only stay in the far west and don’t move too far into our area. What we understand is that there are only four left and not five as we were previously told. The two that are dead are Kinky Tail and *Pretty Boy. The new Majingi males are having a ball in our traversing area! They have now pretty much mated with all the Styx females and we should be seeing some cubs by Christmas. This can only be good for the Styx pride as their numbers are very low. The old Styx female could not be contributing mush to hunting anymore, but she should come in handy when it comes down to staying behind and babysitting when the other females go out to hunt. The small male has been seen alone for a long time now, so we take it that he has been thrown out of the pride as he is too old to stay with them. The new males would also not want him around. At the moment the Majingis are mostly staying around in the east, around Wessels and Little Gowrie. With the Styx females in heat, they will be foolish to move away from the area as the main reason for taking over a territory is to get as many females as possible and mate with them. I am glad to say that the Golfcourse male is still doing well, even though we don’t get to see him very often. The times we do see him, he will usually be around a dead animal or a leopard’s kill. He still has a bit of a limp, but make no mistake, he gets around the whole of our traversing area, without any problems. And that is the way things happen in the wild: when down and out, try to survive by taking initiative. Even if, like in his case, it might involve being sneaky and steeling food from the smaller, weaker predators. We can only wait and see what will become of this courageous lion. We saw the Tsalala females only once this month and I am sad to report that there are now only five cubs left. I believe that they are keeping a low profile in Robson’s property, trying to stay closer to the Mapogos, in order to keep the rest of their cubs safe."

*In fact, the two dead Mapogo were Kinky Tail and Rasta.

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2019, 10:22 PM by AbcXyz )

"These are some of the lions you might encounter while on safari at Elephant Plains.

Mapogos

Of the original six only three remain, having been displaced by a new coalition of 4 younger and stronger males. The remaining Mapogos keep mostly to the western sector of the reserve.

Majingilane males

They are the new kids on the block! These males overthrew the Mapogo’s and now reign in our area. They dominate the whole of the northern Sabi Sand, as well as a few kilometers south of the Sand River. They have been responsible for a number of deaths amongst lions in the other prides, most noticeably Kinky Tail from the Mapogo’s and four of the Tsalala cubs. They have mated with most of the females in the area."

http://www.elephantplains.co.za/big-5-lion/

The Elephant Plains rangers remain unaware of Rasta killed by Majingilanes even after the Mapogos remained only three!!!
1 user Likes AbcXyz's post

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2019, 10:45 PM by AbcXyz )

"The Majingis came in from the east Kruger and the first time we saw them was on Chitwa Chitwa property. We did not see them on the 9 of July 2010. But we did see them on the 10th on a buffalo kill. They did have wounds from fighting with the Mapogos, but not live threatening. Nkorho Bush Lodge is the best rangers to ask because it all happened around their property. This is unfortunately the only information that we have of the Majingis on record. I hope that this will help you. Have a great day."

Ep Rangers talks about a fight between Mapogos and Majingilanes that took place at Nkorho. This is clearly the fight from June 8th, 2010. Nothing new for them occurred up to July 10th, 2010 (at least).

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2019, 10:50 PM by AbcXyz )

(09-04-2017, 01:21 AM)Fredymrt Wrote: The video was taken by guests (a ranger) in the night of July 3rd 2010.
and was posted by leopard hills blog in July 14th 2010.

Written on 03 July 2010

??We followed up on the Mapogo male lions that were found this morning in the vicinity of the Day One Drainage line. They were still in the same place, north of Day One Loop, just two the west of the drainage line. There has been some interesting developments with the coalition, as the two in the north east apparently were in a fight with a new coalition. One of the Mapogo was killed, as well as one of the new coalition (there were five)!

The remaining Mapogo male immediately moved south and joined up with the four brothers on our concession. All five were together this afternoon! After watching them sleep for 45 minutes, one got up and moved slightly off, before starting to roar! The other four joined in, making it the first time I have heard five males roaring together in 3 and a half years!

July 14 2010 leopard hills
Mapogo Welcome mapogo roaring
July 14, 2010 | Filed under: General

Well I have been well and truly welcomed or should I say put in my place by the resident coalition of 5 Male Lions.

My second day out on drive and all 5 Mapogo’s were together again for the first time in a while. We arrived as the sun was going down and the older male decided to reinforce his seniority and began roaring toward our vehicle. Not to be out done the other four responded but were too lazy to get up and roared while still lying down. Surround sound African, the most intense Lion audio I have heard that sent shivers through us all. Many Thanks to my guest Ellie for sharing his footage.

1) https://www.savannalodge.com/news/123

2) https://www.leopardhills.com/safari-lodge-general/mapogo-welcome
https://www.leopardhills.com/wp-content/...s_roar.flv

1) Savanna didn't mention any footage and seen the Mapogos in the afternoon.

2) Leopard Hills spotted the Mapogos in darkness, and the video recording shows all 5 Mapogos roaring in the night.

Dave Pusey, the Leopard Hills ranger who has written the blog article 2), was very kind and in July 2017 cleared any doubt.

Some could say that after 7 years he probably forgot the exact dates. But two Facebook posts from that time, one of Karen Gilliam from July 12th, 2010, and another one of Tara Pirie from July 19th, 2010, say the same thing: all 5 Mapogos at Leopard Hills on July 11th, 2010.

South Africa Clyde Offline
New Join
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 07:34 AM by sanjay Edit Reason: corrected the formating )

Thanks for this map, it was a fantastic representation of the Lion territories in the Sabi Sand during the Mapogos reign. I read this article about a broad history of the Mapogos. https://secretafrica.co/the-notorious-ma...e-reserve/
1 user Likes Clyde's post

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-03-2019, 02:35 AM by AbcXyz )

Let me say that the article you read is one of the worse I ever seen. If want to learn about the Mapogos then read original articles about them, not fabricated like that one where even the year when Makhulu was born is wrong.

This is much better: http://archive.is/R3mrA, but far from perfect.

And this picture shows the Mapogo territory, not what they published.

United Kingdom Big Mac Offline
New Join

(03-17-2017, 07:24 PM)Pckts Wrote: I'm sure the majin's have  ran as well, even though in the doc., it's just one majingilane running from t and kt. I'd like to see how it started in the beginning though if you have that proof?
In regards to T being chased by the Majinilanes:
Mr. T first got there, he assessed then engaged and was quickly overtaken by 2 majingilanes then was chased by 2 majingilanes while the other two stayed behind and finished off Kt.

The video posted on the mapogos fb yesterday has a slow motion moment where Mr. T stands up after laying down mind you and I thought I saw blood dripping down his hip, maybe not, but I'll look again. Either way, he is lying down, he's not rushing in, he's not fighting, he's lying down. 

If a full video exists and it shows Mr. T confronting them, charging into the fight against 4, I'll quickly say you're right, but since I've seen no such video and you say "it's lost" I certainly don't agree with your assessment.
So if you have rangers who were there before the fight started and they collaborate with what you're saying, please post it here. But if they arrived on the scene and the fight had begun prior and they're just going off of a lion roaring, that is far from confirmation.

Mr T had weeks to abandon his territory to the 4 selatis, the fact he was in his own territory and actually fought the 4 selatis, proves he chose to stay and fight them, those 4 selatis were trying to scare the mapogos out of their territory without actually fighting for a long time, if T didn't want to fight them he sure hang around long enough didn't he.... also look how cautious the selatis were when fighting T, it was easy for any unbias person to see they would've much preferred if T ran and they took his territory quickly and quietly without the risk of injury
2 users Like Big Mac's post

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned

(05-03-2019, 02:18 AM)Big Mac Wrote: those 4 selatis were trying to scare the mapogos out of their territory without actually fighting for a long time

I have no idea how you came up with this conclusion, but on February 23, 2012, the Selatis attacked Pretty Boy and injured him badly.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=3&theater