There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

Russian Federation Nyers Offline

Earless.

credit Charukesi Ramadurai

5 users Like Nyers's post

United States swtlei4u Offline

(08-02-2018, 05:32 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 09:47 AM)swtlei4u Wrote: is there something wrong with earless? he looks like he loss some bulk and mane?

Well, he's been kicked out of his territory.

It's usually seen in older lions, but one of the effects the displacement has is a loss, or a degree of a loss in the physical condition. It may be that it's a bit harder for him to get meals, or simply that he isn't eating as much and as good as before.

It can also be a sign of stress, because of the hardships of being alone, but I think that's coupled with not having a stable territory.
what coalition displaced him n boxernose?

(01-19-2018, 09:07 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Jasper Thind - Mara Lion Project.

We found the old male lion Boxernose in Naboisho Conservancy recently and he is not looking his best. He is very skinny and is probably not able to hunt very well. He had a few porcupine quills stuck in him and so he is going after anything he can.

We assume he must have lost a face off with other males, separating him from Earless and their pride and making Boxernose shoot all the way to Naboisho. Today we tried to find out what has happened to the cubs and the rest of the pride the two males were with, but we were not able to access the area due to floods.

*This image is copyright of its original author
was this the reason earless and boxer nose has been seen recently? who was the males did they get into a fight with?

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-05-2018, 04:02 PM by Tshokwane )

(08-05-2018, 11:37 AM)swtlei4u Wrote: was this the reason earless and boxer nose has been seen recently?

Yes, that was the time when it happened.

(08-05-2018, 11:37 AM)swtlei4u Wrote: who was the males did they get into a fight with?

I'm not so sure, there were talks of some young nomads, but I'm not sure who they are.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Benjamin Kiseme - Naboisho Camp.

It’s has happened! Like anticipated, the four Rekero Males, caught an intruding young male lion inside their territory! Lions are extremely territorial, and they don’t tolerate strangers within...

Click on it to play.

8 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Benjamin Kisemei - Naboisho Camp.

Big fight this morning at Naboisho conservancy. The four dominant males have attacked a young male lion who belongs to offbeats coalition. Eventually, they let him go but with some injuries although not fatal ones.

11 users Like Tshokwane's post

jordi6927 Offline

(08-07-2018, 03:37 AM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Benjamin Kisemei - Naboisho Camp.

Big fight this morning at Naboisho conservancy. The four dominant males have attacked a young male lion who belongs to offbeats coalition. Eventually, they let him go but with some injuries although not fatal ones.

That young lion is a badass ... would love to see him in a dominant coalition one day.
2 users Like jordi6927's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-07-2018, 06:12 AM)jordi6927 Wrote: would love to see him in a dominant coalition one day.

He is, apparently. Offbeat males, they're a young coalition, what I recall is that they're six in total, although I'm not entirely sure.

(08-07-2018, 06:12 AM)jordi6927 Wrote: That young lion is a badass

He stood up alright, true. 

I think that is actions seem all the more impressive because in the video, the big lion that bragged and roared in front of him seemed more concerned with keeping his hair looking good than in engaging him in a fight.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(08-07-2018, 06:12 AM)jordi6927 Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 03:37 AM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Benjamin Kisemei - Naboisho Camp.

That young lion is a badass ... would love to see him in a dominant coalition one day.

Which brings to light an interesting aspect of lion-fight interaction. Lions tend to gang up on their target, but that target  has to fight multiple antagonists simultaneously.
That's an important dynamic for a young, up and coming, eventual pride leader. Its part of the overall "schooling" necessary to acquire that status.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-07-2018, 08:08 PM)chaos Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 06:12 AM)jordi6927 Wrote:

Which brings to light an interesting aspect of lion-fight interaction. Lions tend to gang up on their target, but that target  has to fight multiple antagonists simultaneously.
That's an important dynamic for a young, up and coming, eventual pride leader. Its part of the overall "schooling" necessary to acquire that status.

Which is probably why lions fight with their back ends down, fighting like Leopards or Tigers is more suitable for a 1 v 1 encounter but being tangled up vs multiple assailants would obviously be a huge disadvantage.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

jordi6927 Offline

(08-07-2018, 05:15 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 06:12 AM)jordi6927 Wrote: would love to see him in a dominant coalition one day.

He is, apparently. Offbeat males, they're a young coalition, what I recall is that they're six in total, although I'm not entirely sure.

(08-07-2018, 06:12 AM)jordi6927 Wrote: That young lion is a badass

He stood up alright, true. 

I think that is actions seem all the more impressive because in the video, the big lion that bragged and roared in front of him seemed more concerned with keeping his hair looking good than in engaging him in a fight.

when the 2 olders lions were approaching him the young boy attacked one which changed his position not allowing the 2nd one to get advantage over his backside / spine ....... then he settled down and submitted only to have the one try to gain an advantage from the side / rear .... again he attacked and changed his position ... in mid attack he switched his attention to the 2nd older male ..... then submitted again ... now its pretty clear that the older fellas could probably gang up and kill him but I like the way the young boy was changing some things in that fight ... it was just a great short clip ... im sure he took a little beating though .... just my two pence
1 user Likes jordi6927's post

Russian Federation Nyers Offline

Stan Sta from Big Cats of Masai Mara:

Good and bad news,

Earless with a new friend
Also it means that Boxernose is no longer alive, hope I'm wrong but I will miss that veteran.

credit imani nami

4 users Like Nyers's post

(08-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Nyers Wrote: Stan Sta from Big Cats of Masai Mara:

Good and bad news,

Earless with a new friend
Also it means that Boxernose is no longer alive, hope I'm wrong but I will miss that veteran.

credit imani nami

im glad he befriended another young lion so he doesnt have to start all over again. i was worried about this big boy!
1 user Likes swtlei4u's post

Australia Herekitty Offline

I often wonder how lions go about becoming friends. Maybe they first encounter each other and give a strong roar, "how's that eh, you like that, what have you got?
Ok not bad, you have a nice roar too."

Then they come in a little closer, "well you're a big bugger and that's a nice mane you've got, I'd probably prefer not to mess with you if I can."

Then they approach a little closer with their mane up, but not too aggressive, maybe spray some scent around like a CV detailing their particulars, "I see you've been up north chasing the buffaloes, did you have much success?"

Then they're almost face to face and they look each other full in the eyes; who blinks first; what caliber of lion am I really dealing with? "Yes I see you are indeed a big, battle scarred warrior, but wait... what's that? What's that look in your eyes? I know that look! You're..... you're lonely!

RRROOOAAARRR!!!

"Well join the club brother. How about we sit down for a day and then go and chase some kudu, maybe see if we can find the Wildfact Pride, I hear a few of those girls are coming into heat!"

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

About post #1400

What a way to defend yourself against this young male! It is evident that his determination to defend himself prevented him from being hit harder.
1 user Likes Cunaguaro's post