There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Persian Leopard (Panthera pardus saxicolor)

Austria Brehm Offline

*This image is copyright of its original author

Two female persian(?) leopards in the caucasian region. I'm not quite sure if leopards northwest side from Iran belong to the persian subspecies, some sources say yes, others disagree...

If not, here is picture from a "real" persian:

The persian subspecies of leopards is the most beautiful one in my eyes, equally breathtaking like some iranian landscapes! A colleague -born and grew up in iran- showed me a few days ago some pictures from his country, i really liked the great variety of persian nature.

6 users Like Brehm's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Beautiful images.
I'm always at awe by how versatile and adaptable the leopard is. Lions and tigers are big and beautiful, but if something happens in their environment, maybe a drastic change in the landscape or big prey start to die or something like that and they are probably doomed.
But not the leopard and this is why it is my favorite big cat.
Yeah, maybe he's not as big or strong as the other big cats, but a leopard can survive everywhere, with the tiniest of prey or hunting big deers. This and the other leopard threads give testimony to how perfect of a creature they are.
Thank you.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-17-2015, 09:52 PM by Pckts )

(06-17-2015, 06:07 PM)'Majingilane' Wrote: Beautiful images.
I'm always at awe by how versatile and adaptable the leopard is. Lions and tigers are big and beautiful, but if something happens in their environment, maybe a drastic change in the landscape or big prey start to die or something like that and they are probably doomed.
Yeah, maybe he's not as big or strong as the other big cats, but a leopard can survive everywhere, with the tiniest of prey or hunting big deers. This and the other leopard threads give testimony to how perfect of a creature they are.
Thank you.

Extremely versatile cat, probably the most versatile.
But the tiger and lion are also extremely versatile as well, just look at the adaptions made in Tigers, the immense difference in size and personality from Sumatra to India to Russia/China to Sunderbans and so on.... But they will always need more food and land as they are still much larger than Leopards, even at their smallest.

I also think Jags are extremely underrated, they have few run ins with human beings and live in very close proximity to them.

2 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-17-2015, 09:52 PM)'Pckts' Wrote:
Thank you.

But the tiger and lion are also extremely versatile as well, just look at the adaptions made in Tigers, the immense difference in size and personality from Sumatra to India to Russia/China to Sunderbans and so on.... But they will always need more food and land as they are still much larger than Leopards, even at their smallest.

I also think Jags are extremely underrated, they have few run ins with human beings and live in very close proximity to them.

Jaguars can be as low as 38 kg, leopards as high as 90 kg. 

2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-18-2015, 02:21 AM by Pckts )

(06-17-2015, 11:57 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
(06-17-2015, 09:52 PM)'Pckts' Wrote:
Thank you.

Jaguars can be as low as 38 kg, leopards as high as 90 kg. 

90kg for a leopard is a freak show number and fairly regular number for a Jaguar.
And isn't the heaviest verified Leopard weight 77kg (sri lanka)?

But either way, its not the difference of 85kg-120kg+ you see in tiger sub species average weights, so Im not sure exactly what the point of the statement above is?

Norway Jubatus Offline

@Pckts
No the biggest Leopard ever found was 96 kgs (Namibia), you also have an 86 kg perisan, and an even bigger 91 kg Persian, the list goes on. You also have reports of the Vin Diesel Male Leopard being weighed at 97 (Though there aren`t any good evidence of it, and it can`t be proved).

3 users Like Jubatus's post

Norway Jubatus Offline

Rica the Persian Leopard undergoes surgery

This is Rica, a 12 year old Persian Leopard from Theran zoo. The Leopard had to undergo surgery because of a rotten tooth, that had to be replaced by an artificial one

Norway Jubatus Offline

Some dominant huge looking, Persian Male Leopards.

5 users Like Jubatus's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-25-2015, 07:53 PM by Pckts )

(06-25-2015, 05:10 PM)'Jubatus' Wrote: @Pckts
No the biggest Leopard ever found was 96 kgs (Namibia), you also have an 86 kg perisan, and an even bigger 91 kg Persian, the list goes on. You also have reports of the Vin Diesel Male Leopard being weighed at 97 (Though there aren`t any good evidence of it, and it can`t be proved).

DO we have verified weights on these with measurements who took they weight?

So if there is no good evidence, than it cant be proven.
I assume that 300kg tigers exist right now, but I technically cannot prove it.

And even if these few leopards way that, its still only 3 out of 100s which I think constitute a freak show weight for them.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Norway Jubatus Offline

here you can see a research on Persian leopards also weight mesurements are taken here, as you can see there are many persian leopards that weigh over 77 kg. even one at 115 kg, I work to find more information on this indevidual. 

here is the PDF: 
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/...rentiation

2 users Like Jubatus's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-25-2015, 09:47 PM by Pckts )

"We excluded an adult male from Tonekabon (northern Iran) with an exceptionalweight of 115 kg (I. Memarian, pers. comm.)which is the heaviest specimen ever rec-orded across the species’ global range (Stander, 1997; Sunquist & S"

So that weight is not included since it wasn't reasonably found, the weights they used all show that the max was 91kg and specifically says that the males can add 20% to the body weight with their stomach contents.
So realistically these males are all below that weight. So obviously the 90kg mark is a massive leopard and not common by any means.

So like my original statement says,
90kg is a freak show mark for Leopards and common for jaguars.

Edit: Sorry if it sounded harsh, not my intention.
I don't doubt that leopards can reach 90kg mark, but the ones that have are including stomach content and are very few and far between. Lots of leopards have been measured, the 90kg mark is very rare to see.
Which is what I meant by "freak show"

Bigcat Enthusiast

2 users Like Pckts's post

Norway Jubatus Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-26-2015, 12:33 AM by Jubatus )

Well I never Said they were common, but I Said that they do reach above 77kgs. And some of the Leopards from this study is above that. They can add on 20% by stomachcontent, but its very unlikely that each and every male has 13 kg pluss stomachcontent. I've got pictures of the 115 kg leopard. But I'm working on better proof on the weight, a picture, video of him being weighed. I'll post the pictures and story on him later tonight.

No problem, I never think you sounded Harsh, We have different meanings, and we must discuss them ;-)
2 users Like Jubatus's post

Norway Jubatus Offline

Alborz

This huge male Persian Male Leopard called Alborz sadly comes to a tragic ending, as he had to be put down because of a fatal shot to his spine. On Jan. 3 2014 local authorities was called out to a huge, wounded Leopard barely crawling by the side of a river. A local wildlifeteam rushed out to find a leopard unable to properly move, that also had a fracture in one of his forelimbs. He was after taken to a rehablilitation center in Theran, where they tried to heal him. When he was taken back to the center it showed that he weighed 115 kgs, and was 8 years old (!). The examination showed that he had been shot several times during a one year period, with the most recent one penetreting his spine. The veterenarians relentles work to keep this magnificent animal alive sadly failed after 10 days, when they saw that the injury was to dredful for the leopard to stay alive, and he had to be put down. The person guilty was luckily found, it turned out to be a father and a son who had shot the Leopard. And they were detanied to 6 months of prison, and a fine of 50,000,000 IRR (1600 USD). 

The whole article, and other Leopard news can be read in the Iranian Cheetah Society`s Perisan Leopard News letter. Here is a link to the one with this article:
http://www.rufford.org/files/Persian%20L...202014.pdf

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-26-2015, 01:18 AM by Pckts )

(06-26-2015, 01:08 AM)'Jubatus' Wrote: Alborz

This huge male Persian Male Leopard called Alborz sadly comes to a tragic ending, as he had to be put down because of a fatal shot to his spine. On Jan. 3 2014 local authorities was called out to a huge, wounded Leopard barely crawling by the side of a river. A local wildlifeteam rushed out to find a leopard unable to properly move, that also had a fracture in one of his forelimbs. He was after taken to a rehablilitation center in Theran, where they tried to heal him. When he was taken back to the center it showed that he weighed 115 kgs, and was 8 years old (!). The examination showed that he had been shot several times during a one year period, with the most recent one penetreting his spine. The veterenarians relentles work to keep this magnificent animal alive sadly failed after 10 days, when they saw that the injury was to dredful for the leopard to stay alive, and he had to be put down. The person guilty was luckily found, it turned out to be a father and a son who had shot the Leopard. And they were detanied to 6 months of prison, and a fine of 50,000,000 IRR (1600 USD). 

The whole article, and other Leopard news can be read in the Iranian Cheetah Society`s Perisan Leopard News letter. Here is a link to the one with this article:
http://www.rufford.org/files/Persian%20L...202014.pdf

I would definitely do a little research into this.
Such a large weight for a severely wounded leopard that would obviously not be in full health isn't likely.

I'd like to see body measurements to actually see if his weight adds up.
Looking at him, he certainly doesn't look like a 250lb animal.
I have sent an email and will post any response if received.
Thanks for the link and info