There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
Tiger Predation

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(08-04-2019, 02:50 AM)Diamir2 Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 01:28 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 06:37 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: A lot of your preconceived notions on Raja will be clarified, @Shadow from this article. It is by one of the foremost scientists in his field. Do read on about the part about Das, a chunky tiger and his obsession with gaur.

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2013/12/03/rare-video-captures-tiger-making-its-kill/

Oh, one thing.... "preconceived"? I would love to hear what do you mean? I saw a video, where tiger was hunting and I was interested about the case. Is pointing out some observations for you in some way same as preconceive? I have to say, that I find it quite odd, what you say and I am curious to hear, that what do you mean?

My points were, that the buffalo didn´t die immediately in that video and it is clear, that it didn´t. Then I was curious to know what might have happened after that recording ended, because I am curious about animal behavior and especially when something unexpected happen. I hadn´t seen anywhere any good information about that video and incident, so I commented about it in hope, that someone might notice and have more information. Then I said, that it is very rare, that kills are clean and instant, I meant by it big cats, in which I maybe wasn´t clear, but as you too know, that is reality, usually there is fight and suffocating.

So what do you mean by "preconceived"? I don´t think, that pointing out facts fit to that.

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2014/08/15/bold-tigers-of-malenad-bpt-222-strikes-again/

Nice find, thanks !

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Tiger catches Sambar deer, quite good footage.

4 users Like Shadow's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-05-2019, 10:10 PM by Pckts )

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2019, 08:55 AM by Rishi )

(08-05-2019, 09:19 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Sorry I can't see anything

Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-05-2019, 09:46 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 09:19 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Sorry I can't see anything

Weird, I'm not sure why it isn't showing up. 
The link should work

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0utRkblxlwn2TIL80CWaFohGPUFX48M8DXO_o0/
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-09-2019, 03:21 AM by Pckts )

(08-03-2019, 06:13 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 05:53 PM)Pckts Wrote: It's fairly obvious the Buffalo is incapacitated, the exact state of its injuries are unknown and unless you bring an MRI machine out there you can debate it as much as you want. But in the 10 sec encounter with Raja the Buffalo was injured so badly it couldn't stand even though it was still in obvious danger.

Now I recall it being a total of 3 buffalo being killed but his caption says "2 and went back for a 3rd."
https://www.facebook.com/bommaanu.bomma/...997889997/

I'd post the video myself but I'm on my cell and it's a pain to post FB videos.

Could be injured of course badly. But from video it´s difficult to say alone. There are cases, where animals rise up later. Anyway whatever was result, that attack was impressive and fierce and without any doubt, there are similar cases where tiger breaks neck of buffalo/cow/whatever. This one just didn´t die at least instantly. So if someone thought, that fast/clean and kind of merciful, that wasn´t the case. It is quite rare to see really fast kills so, that prey animal barely has time to get scared. 

Still this is one very impressive attack and damn that tiger was fierce! That long roaring was really something, it can be only imagined what it would be like to stand in some forest or field and suddenly hear that voice somewhere close :) I bet, that most of us should change underwear after that.

A new angle I've not yet seen from this attack

A few comments on him killing 3 of them that day as well

Praveen Siddannavar Soumyajit Nandy you are right earlier this week, infact the tiger killed 3 buffaloes

Aravind Srinivasan Hello sir, I had been there the next day and all the 3 carcass was eaten by the prince.. Amazing to see the capacity.

Praveen Siddannavar Meera Bopardikar yes we often see this unity especially in the Buffalo family, however in this case the Tiger managed to kill 3 Buffaloes.

Anurag Kakkar I was the witness of all these 3 kills. This tiger known as "Prince" !!
7 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Uday Patel
Munna in Year 2010

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(03-08-2019, 12:18 PM)Apollo Wrote: Chota Matka trying to hunt gaur in Tadoba.

I "had to" reply to this, because maybe someone had missed this. And this is a good video, imo. Handsome, strong looking and brave tiger, which might be one day giving to some lucky one an opportunity to film how tiger catches a gaur and what happens then. A little more luck/experience... anyway a good video and no hideous music, gaur voices etc. can be heard clearly.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

United Kingdom Megalodon Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 08-22-2019, 09:35 PM by Megalodon )

Tigress killed a large adult gaur:

*This image is copyright of its original author

"There was news of a tiger kill, and this was no ordinary prey. It was an 800 kg gaur, also known as the Indian bison. A tiger feasting on a gaur would be a spectacle to behold."

( Tiger expert, Valmik Thapar was also present at the scene of this kill )

https://www.outlookindia.com/outlooktraveller/travelnews/story/36317/maharashtra-tadoba-tales
5 users Like Megalodon's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Jason Fernandes

4 users Like Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2019, 01:43 PM by Shadow )

Looks like quite new footage.

Translation from description:
In Ranthambore National Park, sometimes such an interesting incident happens that people are thrilled to see…. Something similar was seen recently when Jai, the tigress T8 cub, hunted a chital. Najra tourists captured in their cameras .... This video is going viral in social media these days.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2019, 02:11 PM by Shadow )

This is something, which isn´t seen every day. In this case I was happy, that tiger failed :) Pity that nothing in normal speed with authentic sounds too.

Edit: I found more :)

3 users Like Shadow's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

@Pckts nice find. Munna is easily 250+kg tiger. The gaur is well over a ton. Killing such a massive animal is true indicative of strength of tigers.
4 users Like parvez's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-26-2019, 10:44 AM by Ashutosh )

(08-25-2019, 02:08 PM)Shadow Wrote: This is something, which isn´t seen every day. In this case I was happy, that tiger failed :) Pity that nothing in normal speed with authentic sounds too.

That is the tigress Raj Bhera from Bandhavgarh. She died early last year. Peacocks can be very irritating with their shrill noises, so can’t blame her.
2 users Like Ashutosh's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(08-25-2019, 11:59 PM)Ashutosh Wrote:
(08-25-2019, 02:08 PM)Shadow Wrote: This is something, which isn´t seen every day. In this case I was happy, that tiger failed :) Pity that nothing in normal speed with authentic sounds too.

That is the tigress Raj Bhera from Bandhavgarh. She died earlier this year. Peacocks can be very irritating with their shrill noises, so can’t blame her.

Pity to hear, that she is dead especially if not for old age mainly. That peacock was fast though. That footage would be interesting to see in normal speed to get better impression about speed. I can understand Raj Bhera too, impossible to sleep if that bird is there screaming all the time :)