There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Big Males Compared to Females

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2017, 10:50 PM by Rishi )

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Rishi's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Prasanna Subramanian
#Love is in the air..

T-67 or Dhamangaon male with the beautiful Budbudi female

A Desai

Maya Tigress: I love you.

Matkasur Tiger: I love you too !

Tadoba National Park

6 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2017, 04:29 AM by Pckts )

Ram Kumar Yadav Kanha

Today evening KTR T 67& KTR T 83

Kapil Dixit

Mohan Moolepetlu

5 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2017, 11:47 PM by Pckts )

The courtship of the King and the Queen of Kanha
The Damangaon male wooing the Budbudi female.
Kanha National Park
June 2017
Video courtesy Dr. Dipa Pattanayak

3 users Like Pckts's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Anderson male mating with Salayexe female. From Elephant Plains Lodge, credits to Morné Fouché, 14 February 2017.

5 users Like Ngala's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-07-2017, 09:46 PM by Rishi )

A new breeding pair of Asiatic lions are to be shifted to Kolkata Zoo & expected to be on display by mid-November. I intend to pay them a visit..

PS: Another similar but inactive thread Estimated male size based on the female.
@sanjay consider merging them...

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-23-2017, 08:18 AM by Rishi )

Asiatic lions & lionesses..

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Golden mane Mjaingilane with Mangheni girl.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

What a difference!!!

From Onçafari Jaguar Project:
"Fera and Brutus taking a walk around Refúgio Ecológico Caiman. It’s not uncommon to see jaguar couples around here. We wish you all a great Sunday ! Photo: Cynthia Lebrão"

6 users Like Ngala's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

Wow Brutus looks prehistoric.
Kindly post a copy of it at Freak specimens.

Thanks
4 users Like Apollo's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

speechless! that male jaguar is just too powerful and easily dwarfs the female.
2 users Like Roflcopters's post

Michael Offline

(11-09-2017, 01:57 AM)Ngala Wrote: What a difference!!!

"Fera and Brutus taking a walk around Refúgio Ecológico Caiman. It’s not uncommon to see jaguar couples around here. We wish you all a great Sunday ! Photo: Cynthia Lebrão"

In which species is there a bigger size/weight difference between male and female specimens, leopard or jaguar ? Seems like the leopard is the species with the biggest difference but no idea why they evolved this way

And why is the difference so big in these two species and not in lions, cheetah and tigers ?

I guess lions don't need it because they evolved within a coalition system so male lions don't need to be that much bigger then females numbers matter more ?

In the case of the tiger I have no idea they occupy the same niche as the leopard and jaguar so I don't know why there isn't the same difference between males and females
1 user Likes Michael's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 11:29 PM by Pckts )

(11-09-2017, 05:17 AM)Michael Wrote:

In which species is there a bigger size/weight difference between male and female specimens, leopard or jaguar ? Seems like the leopard is the species with the biggest difference but no idea why they evolved this way

And why is the difference so big in these two species and not in lions, cheetah and tigers ?

I guess lions don't need it because they evolved within a coalition system so male lions don't need to be that much bigger then females numbers matter more ?

In the case of the tiger I have no idea they occupy the same niche as the leopard and jaguar so I don't know why there isn't the same difference between males and females

All big 4 show similar sexual dimorphism.

(Females)               (Males)
80kg-170kg       170kg-272kg     = Lions (Asiatic-African) and Tigers (Indian)
40kg-100kg       60kg - 150kg     = Jaguars
30kg-60kg         40kg - 100kg     = Leopards (African-Indian)

Locations not included.

Just to elaborate a bit further, Big Cats are like people, they come in all shapes and sizes. Some are much larger or smaller than others, so sometimes you'll see a large female with a small male or vice versa and it may give you a false sense of individual size. I generally try to avoid coming to conclusions on individual size unless I'm familiar with the female and/or male.

Michael Offline

(11-09-2017, 05:31 AM)Pckts Wrote:

80kg-170kg       170kg-272kg     = Lions and Tigers
30kg-60kg         40kg - 115kg     = Leopards

Depending on the subspecies and location of course.

Just to elaborate a bit further, Big Cats are like people, they come in all shapes and sizes. Some are much larger or smaller than others, so sometimes you'll see a large female with a small male or vice versa and it may give you a false sense of individual size. I generally try to avoid coming to conclusions on individual size unless I'm familiar with the female and/or male.

Wouldn't it be better to use average weights in this case, you want to know in average how much difference in weight there is between male and female because the average represents a lot more individuals than both ends of the spectrum.
1 user Likes Michael's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-09-2017, 07:32 AM)Michael Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 05:31 AM)Pckts Wrote:

80kg-170kg       170kg-272kg     = Lions and Tigers
30kg-60kg         40kg - 115kg     = Leopards

Depending on the subspecies and location of course.

Wouldn't it be better to use average weights in this case, you want to know in average how much difference in weight there is between male and female because the average represents a lot more individuals than both ends of the spectrum.

Whatever your personal preference is, scientifically speaking using averages may give you a round number but realistically the wild doesn’t follow such a rule.