There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 05:30 PM by Pckts )

(04-24-2019, 11:26 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts :

An other video between the two cats, but here they are both cubs, and seemingly Sonny is the youngest one, because also the smallest... The keeper had to proctect him.

That's not Achiles, Achiles could barely move when he was received by BJWT.
His hind legs were completely useless, he had to be transported by box. He was completely nutrient deficient and it's why he's still so small to this day, Achiles is only 145kg I believe. Sonny also isn't a very large lion just to give you an idea of how small achiles actually is. But just the c
Fact that he's walking and playing with a pride is a miracle.

Just to give you an idea, it took achiles weeks just to get to here
[Insta] https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZDt9ZryaL/...wvz4ev7qvw[/insta]

I'll find some longer ones later today.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-24-2019, 05:30 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 11:26 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts :

An other video between the two cats, but here they are both cubs, and seemingly Sonny is the youngest one, because also the smallest... The keeper had to proctect him.

That's not Achiles, Achiles could barely move when he was received by BJWT.
His hind legs were completely useless, he had to be transported by box. He was completely nutrient deficient and it's why he's still so small to this day, Achiles is only 145kg I believe. Sonny also isn't a very large lion just to give you an idea of how small achiles actually is. But just the c
Fact that he's walking and playing with a pride is a miracle.

Just to give you an idea, it took achiles weeks just to get to here
[Insta] https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZDt9ZryaL/...wvz4ev7qvw[/insta]

I'll find some longer ones later today.
@Spalea 
Here's a great video of the miracle boy

He definitely has odd facial markings as well.
But he's a great success story.
2 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Pckts :

About #1519: thank you for this video ! You're going to laugh but I just come to realise that Achilles is really a black tiger with his very numerous stripes... Was it because of that he was very weak ? I believe to have read that the black tigers were very weak during their childhood.

But it's a great story and a nice success ! Bravo !

Do you often go into this foundation ?

Sanju Offline

Each and every lion and lioness is trying to avoid direct eye contact and displaying submissive postures to the BOSS or dominant lion. He asserting his dominance and supremacy over every member of the pride or group.

Very nice video showing lion behavioral dynamics, social structure and ethology.

4 users Like Sanju's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Sanju :

About #1521: interesting video ! In front of the dominant male, the other males are submissive (especially at 2mn11). The lionesses, as you said, either avoid him or together rebel against him if he looks for the fight too much.

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2019, 05:46 PM by Sanju )

(04-26-2019, 11:50 AM)Spalea Wrote: together rebel against him if he looks for the fight too much.
and.. he won (still !!). Wink

Wildanimal Lover

(04-26-2019, 11:51 AM)Sanju Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:50 AM)Spalea Wrote: together rebel against him if he looks for the fight too much.
still he won. Wink

Yes of course ! He is a conqueror, a permanent conqueror... Joking

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

sumatran beast...
5 users Like Rage2277's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Rage2277 

About #1526: I believe to never have seen a such hefty tiger, especially in captivity... Like
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Sanju Offline

@Rage2277  Confused shocked 

That tiger is smaller version of Shere Khan. What a build and gait like CGI sherekhan ... osm Like Fantastic

Good genes, that specimen is really important.
1 user Likes Sanju's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 08:31 AM by Rishi )

Many zoos nowadays are shaping the structures in their tiger enclosures to look like jungle ruins taken over by vegetation...

Tulsa Zoo (Malayan).

*This image is copyright of its original author

Memphis Zoo (Bengal).

Miami Zoo. (Sumatran).

6 users Like Rishi's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Big captive gujarat fusca

1 user Likes Lycaon's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

South African lions and Siberian tigers 

2 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Nanjing Hongshan Forest Zoo

African lion and siberian tiger

3 users Like Betty's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2019, 12:16 AM by Shadow )

(05-05-2019, 12:00 AM)Betty Wrote: Nanjing Hongshan Forest Zoo

African lion and siberian tiger

When putting photos, it would be nice, that both in same scale. This kind of "comparisons" are nonsense. I could take also two photos and scale a lion to be 1,5 times higher than tiger :)
When all know, that lions are usually taller what comes to shoulder height and tigers then longer, this kind of photos doesn´t look too honest.

I looked now a bit closer. I have to admit, that somewhat interesting photos, it would be nice to see more photos of these animals. Is there more information about these individuals?