There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cryptozoology, Ghosts, Aliens and other mysteries

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2019, 10:24 PM by BorneanTiger )

(06-07-2019, 06:58 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 06:04 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 02:26 PM)Shadow Wrote: Heh, this time bigfoot is some deer :) This article also shows good how "seriously" FBI has taken this myth... 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/us/fbi-bigfoot-file.html

But can you explain what that dark hairy thing, photographed at different angles on the edge of Intracoastal Waterway in the US State of Virginia by Randy O'Neal's father and his friend on the 28th of June 2014, is? Also, unlike for the video and story on the "baby Megalodon", this 'Bigfoot' story did make a lot of news around the time that it was released, be it in June (https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-ne...ms-3789645) or July that year (https://wtvr.com/2014/07/02/man-claims-b...ar-photos/, https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/...604514.phphttp://weekinweird.com/2014/07/01/fishin...-virginia/), not just in English news (https://www.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland/daa...gle.com%2F), and it's important to note that O'Neal didn't say that it was definitely Bigfoot, letting others judge it for what it was, and it's definitely not a deer or tree stump (how can tree stumps move around?), and that his dad had gone there due to a mysterious incident over there 25 years prior, in which O'Neal said that he saw "red eyes" staring at him from the darkness of the woods, before apparently managing to shoot it under his father's instructions, and then they heard it screech in pain as it tore through the woods and fell into water, which made a sound as if a car had fallen into the river, and then in the next morning, he and his dad were shocked to see saplings damaged as if they had been torn apart by a powerful, moving thing:

*This image is copyright of its original author

As for this video which claims to 'debunk' the photos, it makes 2 mistakes: Capturing a moving object at different angles doesn't make it fake, and it wasn't Randy O'Neal that took the photos, so its claim to 'debunk' the photos is pointless: 

What is there to explain in some bad quality photos? Maybe Finnish formula 1 driver Kimi Räikkönen is there in gorilla suit once again Wink But when I see some photos, which can be basically anything, I don´t know what value those have, when we are talking about something, which can be found in old myths and fairy tales. I understand, that some people make money by maintaining old myths, so this kind of photos are no surprise. But if someone one day would have a good quality photo, then I would be more than surprised :) But to be honest, I believe to bigfoot just as much as I believe, that Peter Pan exists. So in this matter I don´t participate to any debate, I just don´t see any point in that. I am not interested about bigfoot in that way, that I would believe to it, I don´t as I said. But I have been interested about it in that way, that how some myths born and spread among people.

For good quality images, either somebody would have to get closer to one, or camera-trap one in case it prefers to avoid humans:

Image 1, bear cubs, no doubt about it: http://www.bfro.net/avevid/jacobs/jacobs_photos.asp

Image 2 taken about 30 minutes later, a creature that resembles an ape more than a bear: 

Image 3, taken over half a minute after Image 2, same as above, even in the words of experts who spent time with bears and primates, it looks more like a primate scanning the ground than even a mangy bear scanning the ground, which is what a number of people suspected that Jacob's creature, photographed in Allegheny National Forest in Northwest Pennsylvania on the 16th of September 2007, was: 

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(06-07-2019, 10:22 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 02:26 PM)Shadow Wrote: Heh, this time bigfoot is some deer :) This article also shows good how "seriously" FBI has taken this myth... 

But can you explain what that dark hairy thing, photographed at different angles on the edge of Intracoastal Waterway in the US State of Virginia by Randy O'Neal's father and his friend on the 28th of June 2014, is? Also, unlike for the video and story on the "baby Megalodon", this 'Bigfoot' story did make a lot of news around the time that it was released, be it in June (https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-ne...ms-3789645) or July that year (https://wtvr.com/2014/07/02/man-claims-b...ar-photos/, https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/...604514.phphttp://weekinweird.com/2014/07/01/fishin...-virginia/), not just in English news (https://www.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland/daa...gle.com%2F), and it's important to note that O'Neal didn't say that it was definitely Bigfoot, letting others judge it for what it was, and it's definitely not a deer or tree stump (how can tree stumps move around?), and that his dad had gone there due to a mysterious incident over there 25 years prior, in which O'Neal said that he saw "red eyes" staring at him from the darkness of the woods, before apparently managing to shoot it under his father's instructions, and then they heard it screech in pain as it tore through the woods and fell into water, which made a sound as if a car had fallen into the river, and then in the next morning, he and his dad were shocked to see saplings damaged as if they had been torn apart by a powerful, moving thing:

As for this video which claims to 'debunk' the photos, it makes 2 mistakes: Capturing a moving object at different angles doesn't make it fake, and it wasn't Randy O'Neal that took the photos, so its claim to 'debunk' the photos is pointless: 

What is there to explain in some bad quality photos? Maybe Finnish formula 1 driver Kimi Räikkönen is there in gorilla suit once again Wink But when I see some photos, which can be basically anything, I don´t know what value those have, when we are talking about something, which can be found in old myths and fairy tales. I understand, that some people make money by maintaining old myths, so this kind of photos are no surprise. But if someone one day would have a good quality photo, then I would be more than surprised :) But to be honest, I believe to bigfoot just as much as I believe, that Peter Pan exists. So in this matter I don´t participate to any debate, I just don´t see any point in that. I am not interested about bigfoot in that way, that I would believe to it, I don´t as I said. But I have been interested about it in that way, that how some myths born and spread among people.

For good quality images, either somebody would have to get closer to one, or camera-trap one in case it prefers to avoid humans:

Image 1, bear cubs, no doubt about it: http://www.bfro.net/avevid/jacobs/jacobs_photos.asp

Image 2 taken about 30 minutes later, a creature that resembles an ape more than a bear: 

Image 3, taken over half a minute after Image 2, same as above, even in the words of experts who spent time with bears and primates, it looks more like a primate scanning the ground than even a mangy bear scanning the ground, which is what a number of people suspected that Jacob's creature, photographed in Allegheny National Forest in Northwest Pennsylvania on the 16th of September 2007, was: 

To put this in short, I have never seen anything convincing. But more than enough hoaxes. For me in myths, as said, only interesting thing is origin. Some shaman taking too much hallucinogens or something like that...  These photos which could be some young people having fun, when knowing location of some camera are entertaining in a way, but I just don´t see anything special in these. Maybe I am too old and boring in that way :)  Seen too many hoaxes to take seriously something what comes to mythical creatures.

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 06:43 PM by Sully )

Said to be the foremost expert on the topic, Jonathan McGowan discusses his research on big cats in the British countryside. Though some of his facts are off on big cats in general (you can tell he's more interested in the mystery of the whole thing than the cats alone), it's clear he has done much research into the topic. His claims are big, suggesting a government conspiracy covering the phenomena up, but his evidence if he's to be believed, is undeniable. A good listen, even if the interviewer didn't push as much into it as I'd have liked. 

3 users Like Sully's post

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 05:13 PM by AlexE )

Flat Earth - Nikon P900 - Clouds BEHIND the moon

(I'm sober)

We live in a world of lies

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 05:22 PM by AlexE )

It's not poltergeist / ghost. Poltergeists aliens and ghosts were invented by humans...

Matrix / Game

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2019, 12:41 PM by BorneanTiger )

(11-04-2019, 05:18 PM)AlexE Wrote: It's not poltergeist / ghost. Poltergeists aliens and ghosts were invented by humans...

Matrix / Game

Just because we don't see something, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, so just because we don't see aliens, poltergeists or ghosts (at least on a regular basis), that doesn't mean that they don't exist per se, and that is especially true for black holes. We don't see black holes, not even for that famous photo, which shows the shadow of a black hole, surrounded by red hot plasma, but not the black hole itself: https://eventhorizontelescope.org

Australia GreenGrolar Offline

The Maltese tiger, or blue tiger, is a reported but unproven coloration morph of a tiger, reported mostly in the Fujian Province of China. It is said to have bluish fur with dark grey stripes. Most of the Maltese tigers reported have been of the South Chinese population. The South Chinese tiger today is critically endangered, due to their illegal and continued use in traditional Chinese medicine[1] and the "blue" alleles may be wholly extinct. Blue tigers have also been reported in Korea.

The term "Maltese" comes from domestic cat terminology for blue fur, and refers to the slate grey coloration. Many cats with such colouration are present in Malta, which may have given rise to the use of the adjective in this context.

Sightings

Around 1910, Harry Caldwell, an American missionary and big game hunter, claimed to have spotted and hunted a blue tiger outside Fuzhou. His search is chronicled in his book Blue Tiger (1924),[2] and by his hunting companion Roy Chapman Andrews in his Camps & Trails in China (1925, chapter VII).[3] Chapman cites Caldwell thus:

The markings of the beast are strikingly beautiful. The ground colour is of a delicate shade of maltese, changing into light gray-blue on the underparts. The stripes are well defined and like those of the ordinary yellow tiger.

— Caldwell, Chapman (1925)

A more recent report, given to Mystery Cats of the World author Karl Shuker, comes from the son of a US Army soldier who served in Korea during the Korean War.[dubious – discuss] The man claimed that his father sighted a blue tiger in the mountains near what is now the Demilitarized Zone. Blue tigers have also been reported from Burma.[citation needed]

The black tiger was also long considered mythical, but several pelts have proven that pseudo-melanistic or hypermelanic tigers do exist. They are not completely black, but have dense, wide stripes that partially obscure the orange background colour.

Genetics

In support of the blue tiger theory, Maltese-colored cats certainly do exist. The most common are a domestic cat breed, the Russian Blue, and a variety of the British Shorthair, the British Blue, but blue bobcats and lynxes have also been recorded, and there are genetic mutations and combinations that result in bluish hue, or at least in the impression of a blue-gray animal.[citation needed]

White tigers are not albinos, as they retain their black stripes. Rather, the fur between the stripes lacks pheomelanin entirely.

Simply combining non-agouti and dilute alleles would probably indeed result in a greyish or "maltese" tiger, but such an animal would have hardly-visible stripes or none at all: Normal tigers switch between agouti (orange) and non-agouti (black) in different areas of their pelage, as well as suppressing melanin production thoroughly (white). The non-agouti mutation would produce animals similar to black panthers which have only a "ghost" pattern, all hair being black but the hairs of their rosettes retaining a different texture and thus, "black-on-black" rosettes are visible under appropriate lighting. Combined with all-dilute alleles, the color would be grey, but it would still result in an unstriped or ghost-striped tiger.

For a Maltese-and-striped fur, pheomelanin production must probably be suppressed (to switch from an orange to a greyish color) but agouti retained (to yield darker stripes); perhaps some hypermelanism would also be present, to produce an animal with a non-white belly as reported by Caldwell. Indeed, such a genotype is known in cheetahs, where it produces animals that are bluish gray with dark slate grey pattern. If factors such as lighting conditions are accounted for, this makes a reasonable match with Caldwell's individual.

A variant expression of the non-inhibited pigment ("chinchilla") allele is also sometimes deemed possible. This would produce a "haze" effect over the whole body. Combined with a pheomelanin suppression, it would produce a white animal with light gray pattern; such specimens are also known in the cheetah.

Possible distribution

In small or isolated populations, genetic drift can fix unusual traits such as aberrant coloration. A non-harmful mutation can soon become widespread in small, isolated populations. Moreover, if the mutant gene confers benefits, such as better camouflage, then affected individuals may out-compete those without the mutation; this would happen faster in a small inbred population close to panmixia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_tiger
1 user Likes GreenGrolar's post

Watchlisted Member

(11-29-2019, 12:39 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 05:18 PM)AlexE Wrote: It's not poltergeist / ghost. Poltergeists aliens and ghosts were invented by humans...

Matrix / Game

Just because we don't see something, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, so just because we don't see aliens, poltergeists or ghosts (at least on a regular basis), that doesn't mean that they don't exist per se, and that is especially true for black holes. We don't see black holes, not even for that famous photo, which shows the shadow of a black hole, surrounded by red hot plasma, but not the black hole itself: https://eventhorizontelescope.org

it's my opinion. That doesn't mean that my opinion doesn't exist. I like to think and don't like to study. My opinion can change. Because thinking does not stand still.
1 user Likes AlexE's post

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

A short overview of a Pakistani equivalent of the bigfoot (BARMANOU)

there are lots of stories about it in the locals of northern pakistan

1 user Likes fursan syed's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

This is one radio interview and gives some perspective to it, how pseudoscience tv-shows edit things and make their best to twist statements from people doing real and serious scientific research. It is over an hour, but quite interesting, not only what comes to pseudoscience, it opens up also quite good things concerning dna-tests.

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/7/0/2/7021b8f2df6f167e/001_Monstertalk.mp3?c_id=1862982&cs_id=1862982&expiration=1595603091&hwt=d7cf50206f6d55ce9125bdc531f7df05

If someone doesn´t have interest or patience to listen whole thing, there is one interesting part starting from 59:16 concerning pseudoscience tv-show MonsterQuest. Interesting to learn how much effort producers are doing to get results they want to hear and how they twist things. There is a lot of interesting things here and there, so my recommendation is to listen whole thing.

Interviewed person is Dr. Todd Disotell, who appears in some pseudoscience tv-shows and is legit scientist.

Quote: 
"
DR. TODD DISOTELL JOINED US for our first MonsterTalk episode to discuss his various appearances on cryptozoology television shows as the DNA expert. He holds a PhD from Harvard, and a BA from Cornell. Dr. Disotell is currently teaching at NYU and his expertise is in primate evolution. His full professional biographical information can be found on his NYU webpage.

Dr. Disotell’s background in primate studies made him a logical choice for cryptid-TV, though we noticed his screen time was usually short and all of his analysis thus far has turned up no evidence of an unknown ape.

His appearance on the television show Monster Quest was somewhat controversial among Bigfoot enthusiasts in that after his lab found no DNA, a second lab’s results were characterized by The History Channel as suggestive of “non human primate” DNA. (See clip below) In our interview with Dr. Disotell we discuss the Monster Quest claim and get his surprising take on the second lab’s findings.

Questions in this episode include:
  • How did Todd get involved in cryptid DNA analysis?
  • How does DNA get culled from contaminants?
  • What have Todd’s findings been so far?
  • What was his take on the DNA from the Monster Quest “Sasquatch Attack” episode?
  • What would Bigfoot DNA actually look like?
  • How big was Giganto and what does a primatologist think of the “Giganto Hypothesis” to explain Bigfoot?
  • What does “unknown” mean in DNA analysis?
  • What about grant money for Bigfoot research?

India spencer Offline
New Join

(09-16-2014, 03:46 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: Interesting topic and I have quite a lot of stories.

I'll start off [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

My family moved into what we thought would be our dream home in June/2007, I never thought to search into the history of the house first. Two weeks after we moved in, strange things started happening. It started with the sounds of door slamming on their own (I ruled out wind everytime). At first it did not bother me too much as I was born hypersensitive to certain things. One evening, My family left to go on a picnic trip. (being summer - picnics were almost a weekly thing for my family) and I was the only one up at home, planning a little "reunion" of my own with my friends but while i was waiting to be picked up. I started hearing banging noises from Upstairs and then shortly after, a loud BANG - as if something had fallen. (Nobody was home btw). needless to say, I went upstairs to check it out and found that a large mirror had fallen off the wall in my parent's room (I didn't think much of it, I cleaned up the mess and went back downstairs). I went the next three days without incident, on the fourth night. I was in my room and watching tv in bed. From my bed I could see a small portion of the hallway and stairs. On this occasion while watching TV, the bathroom light in the hall turned on. I thought nothing of it as my younger brother was at home. Shortly after that the radio in that bathroom went on cartooncrazy techavy. It was very loud. I was a bit upset as I could no longer hear my tv. I looked out into the hall and saw what I thought was my younger brother in the house going by my room toward his bedroom. I was angry and turned off my tv out of frustration. Approximately 5 minutes later my younger brother at home came up from the main floor wondering why the radio was blaring. I was shocked. Since this incident, I've personally felt that I was being watched at home, like this sense of feeling that even when you're alone at home, you're really not alone. I've also heard weird noises coming from the kitchen and the hall area at some nights is just a disaster to look at. So far, nothing serious has happened and I still don't believe in ghosts or this supernatural stuff. not gonna lie though, first few times these events sent chills down my spine but now I have an open mind and I know, even if there is an entity or anything. It doesn't want to harm anyone. [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

wow nice story!
2 users Like spencer's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-23-2020, 11:51 AM by BorneanTiger )

North America isn't the only place where people, whether or not indigenous, believe in mysterious apes, and that indigenous people have believed in such things for ages means that this simply cannot be a hallucination coming from a man who lived only recently: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/5151...-said-roamhttps://1428elm.com/2018/12/09/call-cryptid-barmanou/

Earlier this year in the U.S.A., something really mysterious was spotted at Salt Fort State Park, eastern Ohio. This video of the "Ohio Grassman" was taken by 2 men using drones for aerial surveillance. You can hear some sounds at 0: 32–53, then a number of skeletons (presumably of deer) are seen at 1:00–1:34, then you can hear more chilling sounds or 'cries' at 2: 16–40, then at 3: 12–34, you can see 2 dark figures or things underneath the dead trees, then from 4:07–8:53, at 7: 51–53, you can hear a weird cry or sound coming from the direction of the hairy guy or thing in the woods, followed by sounds at 8:32–38 (similar to the sounds that were heard at 2: 16–40): https://www.foxnews.com/tech/bigfoot-sig...goes-viral

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(06-01-2020, 12:11 PM)fursan syed Wrote: A short overview of a Pakistani equivalent of the bigfoot (BARMANOU)

there are lots of stories about it in the locals of northern pakistan

Yes: https://1428elm.com/2018/12/09/call-cryptid-barmanou/

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-23-2020, 12:12 AM)BorneanTiger Wrote:

North America isn't the only place where people, whether or not indigenous, believe in mysterious apes, and that indigenous people have believed in such things for ages means that this simply cannot be a hallucination coming from a man who lived only recently: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/5151...-said-roamhttps://1428elm.com/2018/12/09/call-cryptid-barmanou/

Earlier this year in the U.S.A., something really mysterious was spotted at Salt Fort State Park, eastern Ohio. This video of the "Ohio Grassman" was taken by 2 men using drones for aerial surveillance. You can hear some sounds at 0: 32–53, then a number of skeletons (presumably of deer) are seen at 1:00–1:34, then you can hear more chilling sounds or 'cries' at 2: 16–40, then at 3: 12–34, you can see 2 dark figures or things underneath the dead trees, then from 4:07–8:53, at 7: 51–53, you can hear a weird cry or sound coming from the direction of the hairy guy or thing in the woods, followed by sounds at 8:32–38 (similar to the sounds that were heard at 2: 16–40): https://www.foxnews.com/tech/bigfoot-sig...goes-viral

I found already a long time ago explanation to it, why people never get any decent photos or footage what comes to bigfoot. Here is photo and article explaining it, it´s not own species, they are medicine men.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2020/03/1...kinwalker/

It makes perfect sense, they don´t get caught because they know all the ways people try to track them.

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(12-23-2020, 06:34 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 12:12 AM)BorneanTiger Wrote:

I found already a long time ago explanation to it, why people never get any decent photos or footage what comes to bigfoot. Here is photo and article explaining it, it´s not own species, they are medicine men.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2020/03/1...kinwalker/

It makes perfect sense, they don´t get caught because they know all the ways people try to track them.

As in, thousands of naked, hairy, uncivilised human beings (Homo pongoides, as some would say) wondering around here and there, whether in North America or Eurasia, trying to avoid being seen by their civilised relatives (Homo sapiens sapiens)?

Even within the U.S.A., thousands of annual sightings have been reported, with Washington State being the most active region at 2,032 reported sightings, and California (which had that famous footage from 1967) being second at 1,697 (!) encountershttps://video.foxnews.com/v/6039928130001#sp=show-clips

Here is an interesting case from California: https://www.foxnews.com/tech/bigfoot-rep...s-go-viral

"Published October 17, 2017
'Bigfoot' reportedly sighted in Northern California, pictures go viral
By | Fox News

Credit: Jeffrey Gonzalez

The legendary Bigfoot and other creatures like it have reportedly been spotted near a Northern California lake, according to a paranormal investigator. Jeffrey Gonzalez, a self-described paranormal expert, said he heard about the sighting from a local farmer who said he saw the creature and five others running on his ranch near Avocado Lake.
“One of them, which was extremely tall, had a pig over its shoulder," Gonzalez said in comments obtained by Fox 26, a Fox News affiliate. "And the five scattered and the one with the pig was running so fast it didn’t see an irrigation pipe and it tripped, with the pig flying over."

'BIGFOOT' REPORTEDLY SPOTTED IN NORTH CAROLINA FOREST

According to his Facebook page, Gonzalez is a talk show host and an investigator at Paranormal Central, in addition to being a technician at AT&T. He also founded the Sanger Paranormal Society. Gonzalez said that the sighting is not that uncommon, with three additional Bigfoot sightings in the past five years, all located in East Fresno County.
“I would have never guessed in a million years that you would have told me there were Bigfoot on Shields or Ashlan Avenue. Right? So, I want to know what’s going on. Is this for real?” Gonzalez added.

He recounted two others stories, including one from a woman who said her two sons saw a Bigfoot in their orchard and one from a man who saw five creatures in the same orchard.
“What are the odds of three people, three different families, who don’t know each other, within a radius of 2 to 3 miles, come and tell me what they witness, and it matches up,” Gonzalez said.
The images are reminiscent of the famous Patterson-Gimlin film footage from the 1960s.

File photo: A still image of the infamous 1967 Roger Patterson film which appeared to show Bigfoot on film, credit: YouTube

In the footage, Roger Patterson and his partner, Robert Gimlin, shot a short motion picture the filmmakers have said was a Bigfoot. Experts have bandied about for years whether the footage was real or fake, though Patterson maintained it was real until his death in 1972.

This story originally appeared in Fox 26."