There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 02:40 PM by Rishi )

Father vs son, the remaining old Avoca male battle Red Road male over buffalo calf kill.
https://www.facebook.com/181324685890740...462882931/

[video=facebook]https://www.facebook.com/181324685890740/videos/545960462882931/[/video]
4 users Like Potato's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 06:30 PM by BorneanTiger )

(11-02-2019, 05:16 PM)Potato Wrote: Father vs son, the remaining old Avoca male battle Red Road male over buffalo calf kill.

[video=facebook]https://www.facebook.com/181324685890740/videos/545960462882931/[/video]

Let me help you with that:

2 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Credits to Tintswalo

The lions of the Manyeleti continue to amaze with no less than six prides being viewed in the last while including the exciting visit of the Birmingham pride, complete with the two white lions that have made this pride famous!
The Talamatis have been seen on a regular basis and all nine cubs are happy and healthy, seemingly thanks to the ever continuing presence of the Avoca male who still stays with the pride to look after the youngsters.
The Mbiris have, once again, provided us with plenty of entertainment with various kills and attempted kills. They have also started moving further into the Northern regions of the reserve, seemingly putting themselves further into the territory of the Orpen males.

Orpen male

*This image is copyright of its original author

Mbiri pride

Avoca male

5 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tintswalo

The Mbiri have been on a buffalo killing spree and have killed 2 huge buffalo bulls within the last week. The sub-adults are all coming of age and are helping a lot during the hunt. The young Nharu male is looking really impressive.
The 6 Nharu females remain around main dam and it looks like the 5 boys have left the pride as they drift further south and have even moved quite far into the northern Sabi Sand.
The Talamati Pride killed a zebra one rainy morning and the cubs continue to thrive in the South.
The Koppies Pride were seen with one of the females mating with one of the Orpen Males.
The old Avoca/ Giraffe male was seen once and had lost a lot of his mane due to his poor condition. It’s amazing that he is still alive in this harsh environment, a real warrior of a lion!
3 unknown females were seen at S8 dam, which must have come in from the Kruger.The 2 Ximungwe females were also found in the South.

Orpen males

Mbiri pride

Talamati pride

6 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-14-2019, 09:00 PM)Potato Wrote: Tintswalo

The Mbiri have been on a buffalo killing spree and have killed 2 huge buffalo bulls within the last week. The sub-adults are all coming of age and are helping a lot during the hunt. The young Nharu male is looking really impressive.
The 6 Nharu females remain around main dam and it looks like the 5 boys have left the pride as they drift further south and have even moved quite far into the northern Sabi Sand.
The Talamati Pride killed a zebra one rainy morning and the cubs continue to thrive in the South.
The Koppies Pride were seen with one of the females mating with one of the Orpen Males.
The old Avoca/ Giraffe male was seen once and had lost a lot of his mane due to his poor condition. It’s amazing that he is still alive in this harsh environment, a real warrior of a lion!
3 unknown females were seen at S8 dam, which must have come in from the Kruger.The 2 Ximungwe females were also found in the South.

Orpen males

Mbiri pride

Talamati pride

In regards of 5 Nharu young males, i think this update is not to date. They where seen in north Sabi Sands, in Buffelshoek, around 1 month ago, but after that there was no report or sighting of them in that area as i know. North of Sabi Sands is well covered with camps, lodges and rangers on every corner, so 5 male lions would be spotted for sure if they are still there. 

They didn't return to Tintswalo as is reported, but they are not in Sabi Sands either. I think they are somewhere in south Manyeleti or further east in KNP, they are nomadic, so they will be moving around alot.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"In regards of 5 Nharu young males, i think this update is not to date. They where seen in north Sabi Sands, in Buffelshoek, around 1 month ago, but after that there was no report or sighting of them in that area as i know. North of Sabi Sands is well covered with camps, lodges and rangers on every corner, so 5 male lions would be spotted for sure if they are still there. "

I agree althrough raport does not say that they curently are in Sabi sands, just that they ventured there.

"They didn't return to Tintswalo as is reported, but they are not in Sabi Sands either. I think they are somewhere in south Manyeleti or further east in KNP, they are nomadic, so they will be moving around alot."

Very likely you are right. I hope we wiill yet see Nharus again (that they  will not go into Kruger for good).
4 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Orpen males

7 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

7 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tintswalo update

The Mbiris have been spending most of their time around the lodge area and have been very successful in bringing down a few more buffalo. The males are looking really impressive and the young Nharu male will in particular become a beautiful animal. It appears that some of the females are showing signs of oestrus, as he is continually following and isolating some of the females and trying to mount them.

The Koppies Pride is looking strong and a couple of the females have been seen mating with the Orpen Males. The young male in the pride is also looking healthy and growing at a rapid rate.The Nharu Pride have been seen less frequently and the older female with the damaged tail was seen mating with the Red Road Male around Main Dam. It seems that the females are happy to mate with Red Road and haven’t gone looking for the Orpen Males.

Young Nharu with Mbiri Pride

Mbiri pride

6 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 01:15 AM by Tr1x24 )

(12-06-2019, 12:47 AM)Potato Wrote: Tintswalo update

The Mbiris have been spending most of their time around the lodge area and have been very successful in bringing down a few more buffalo. The males are looking really impressive and the young Nharu male will in particular become a beautiful animal. It appears that some of the females are showing signs of oestrus, as he is continually following and isolating some of the females and trying to mount them.

The Koppies Pride is looking strong and a couple of the females have been seen mating with the Orpen Males. The young male in the pride is also looking healthy and growing at a rapid rate.The Nharu Pride have been seen less frequently and the older female with the damaged tail was seen mating with the Red Road Male around Main Dam. It seems that the females are happy to mate with Red Road and haven’t gone looking for the Orpen Males.

Young Nharu with Mbiri Pride

Mbiri pride

Why this Nharu male isnt with his 5 brothers? He seems to be a bit older then them, prob from older litter and he left pride earlier. 

Red Road male still causing trouble for Orpen males, first he was seen with their Koppies pride, they chase him away and now hes seen with their Nharu pride, brave boy.

Atm situation in Manyeleti seems to be : Orpen males with Koppies, Scorro and Nharu (Nharus might go with Red Road male if Orpens dont return and chase them away), Mbiris are atm with young Nharu male, its yet to bee seen if he will try to become dominant over them or if he wil try to form a coalition with their young male ( I know theres atleast 1 young male there, maybe more).
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 03:49 AM by Potato )

That Nharu male split from his netal pride way ago. He started to follow Mbiri pride and was accepted into the pride were he grow up to that point. It is not one of 5 nomadic Nharu males. You talk about Scorro Thanda Impi? As far as I know he left arena in early 2018 and haven't benn seen there since. Red Road male is indeed full of confidence and courage. I wish that he can get some coalition partner to full secure central Manyeleti from Orpen males. This self confident dude is one of my favorites lion at the moment.
3 users Like Potato's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(12-06-2019, 01:31 AM)Potato Wrote: That Nharu male split from his netal pride way age. He started to follow Mbiri pride and was accepted into the pride were he grow up to that point. It is not one of 5 nomadic Nharu males. You talk about Scorro Thanda Impi? As far as I know he left arena in early 2018 and haven't benn seen there since. Red Road male is indeed full of confidence and courage. I wish that he can get some coalition partner to full secure central Manyeleti from Orpen males. This self confident dude is one of my favorites lion at the moment.
I think he meant the Scorro pride and not the male.
2 users Like Matimbalani's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 01:46 AM by Potato )

Ah, that makes sense. I wouldn't casiffy Nharu as Orpen males pride.  They hardly shown intrest in spending time in central Manyeleti with Nharu pride. They instead spent their time in northen Manyeleti and at Orpen Gate only accasionally shoing themself in central Manyeleti. As you can see by the newest raport even Nharu females lost faith that Orpen males can became their pride males and seems they are starting to accept Red Road male in that role.
2 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-06-2019, 01:31 AM)Potato Wrote: That Nharu male split from his netal pride way age. He started to follow Mbiri pride and was accepted into the pride were he grow up to that point. It is not one of 5 nomadic Nharu males. You talk about Scorro Thanda Impi? As far as I know he left arena in early 2018 and haven't benn seen there since. Red Road male is indeed full of confidence and courage. I wish that he can get some coalition partner to full secure central Manyeleti from Orpen males. This self confident dude is one of my favorites lion at the moment.

I know hes not one of the 5 Nharu young males, unfortunately he split earlier as you said, coalition of 6 with his leadership would be awesome to see. 

No, im talking about Scorro pride, they are one of the prides of Orpen males.

I too like Red Road male, but its hard for him alone vs 2 Orpen males, lucky for him, Orpen males have too many prides for a coalition of 2 to be able to always control all of them, so he always has 1 pride to hang out with when Orpen males are with other prides, risky game, but hey, it worked so far.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States NCAT33 Offline

Who are the Orpen males? I know it was mentioned in an earlier post.
1 user Likes NCAT33's post