There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

A Manyeleti throwback by Neil Jennings

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Mwk85 Offline

(02-17-2023, 03:09 AM)Tonpa Wrote: A Manyeleti throwback by Neil Jennings

Is there any members of the Koppies pride still alive or were they all killed/died out by other means?
4 users Like Mwk85's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-17-2023, 03:44 AM by Tonpa )

(02-17-2023, 03:40 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:

Is there any members of the Koppies pride still alive or were they all killed/died out by other means?

I think the last lioness took some cubs and fled into Kruger in late 2020, no word of them ever since
7 users Like Tonpa's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(02-17-2023, 03:44 AM)Tonpa Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 03:40 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:

I think the last lioness took some cubs and fled into Kruger in late 2020, no word of them ever since

As soon as I saw the pics you posted, Koppies was the one that stood our for me. I wish they had stuck around, but with the second to last being killed by the Mbiris, and the last lioness being stuck with those little ones, she didn't have much choice. Really sad, after Buddy passed their fortunes dwindled quickly.
7 users Like BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Help me

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

By Hotelsteamtation

Lambile ( I think)

Mandevu

Mbiris with Mandevu

8 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-20-2023, 09:35 PM by lionuk )

Although Ncile is still on the outskirts, he's making a great progress recently, he's getting closer and closer probably around two and half metres from the closest lioness. He was a good 100 metres from them in the beginning of 2023. Keep it up, Ncile! 

A great sighting of some members of the pride at the waterhole

Apparently Kupona's mother wasn't with them as she's still denning.
9 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

RRM:

Photo credits : rosatogiuseppe

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(02-23-2023, 12:36 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: RRM:

Photo credits : rosatogiuseppe

Handsome King!!
3 users Like afortich's post

Korea, Republic of veritas Offline

It's painful to see Ncile holding out.
I think the life of a lion is really cold.
He's really threatened by humans.
There have already been several poaching incidents there.

I'm getting a really bad salary.(Really sad hehe) 
Although I am not capable, I am willing to raise funds to prevent poaching there.

I hope Ncile cheer up!! I hope Lambile will live long and healthy, and I look forward to the performance of solo man Redroad.

Thanks to thank all users♡
5 users Like veritas's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

So after viewing the most recent video from Tintswalo I was trying to sex all the cubs/Subs from the Mbiri . 

This is what my eyes tell me:

The Orpen are 1M & 1F
The Cousins are 1M & 1F
Solo is 1M

I have never seen the new cubs from Kiponas mother.  

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(02-26-2023, 10:03 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: So after viewing the most recent video from Tintswalo I was trying to sex all the cubs/Subs from the Mbiri . 

The Orpen are 1M & 1F
The Cousins are 1M & 1F
Solo is 1M

So, the Tintswalos have only 3 offspring distributed amongst 3 males? They've been pride males for years now! I'd love for them to not waste more of their prime years with their natal pride!  I know it means we get to see them hanging around the reserves, getting filmed, but it's not good for their bloodline or the pride.
4 users Like Cath2020's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

9 users Like Tonpa's post

India Mabande Offline

How many lionesses are there in the Nharu pride? Are all the original 3 lionesses alive? How old and how many are the Red Road offsprings?
1 user Likes Mabande's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(02-26-2023, 10:21 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 10:03 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: So after viewing the most recent video from Tintswalo I was trying to sex all the cubs/Subs from the Mbiri . 

The Orpen are 1M & 1F
The Cousins are 1M & 1F
Solo is 1M

So, the Tintswalos have only 3 offspring distributed amongst 3 males? They've been pride males for years now! I'd love for them to not waste more of their prime years with their natal pride!  I know it means we get to see them hanging around the reserves, getting filmed, but it's not good for their bloodline or the pride.

While I agree with everything you said, I think it is best for all involved for young males to get as far away from their natal pride as is possible, it just isn't very clear how bad it is for the future of the pride when they do not. We see it often in feral cat colonies, Scar Mbiri mated with his sister, and I personally believe the best pride for a case study on this phenomena would be the pride that Loonkito has controlled for so long. He is a 19 year old male lion, who was shown in pictures just a couple of weeks back still alive but it is not clear if he still controls his pride any longer. Loonkito has controlled the same pride for so long he was seen breeding with his own great-grand-daughter/daughter, From all that I have read there does not appear any negative impact thus far on the pride. That is not to say there isn't any, and I would love to read of more observations done on the pride, but I have not read of any deformed or strangely behaving lions coming out of that pride. 

So, the impact of this behavior remains unknown, but it would appear to me that nature has taken such behavior into account.
2 users Like BA0701's post