There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

RookiePundit Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 02:10 AM by RookiePundit )

This is supposed to be Mbiri pride and thus Tintswalos as well, hunting a buffalo (warning, succesfully).

3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-12-2021, 02:10 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: This is supposed to be Mbiri pride and thus Tintswalos as well, hunting a buffalo (warning, succesfully).

Not recent, that was almost 1 year ago if i remember correctly.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

6 users Like Tonpa's post

RookiePundit Offline

They are looking good, Thanda Impis' sons, right, all of them? I want them to succeed just somewhere else. At least the new cubs are still sired by the Orpens.
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(02-12-2021, 05:37 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: They are looking good, Thanda Impis' sons, right, all of them? I want them to succeed just somewhere else. At least the new cubs are still sired by the Orpens.

It is untypical for the lions in Greater Kruger to mate with females from their natal pride. Tintswalo males haven't been seen doing that as well so I believe they won't try and stick around too long.

Psyckoo Offline

(02-12-2021, 05:37 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: They are looking good, Thanda Impis' sons, right, all of them? I want them to succeed just somewhere else. At least the new cubs are still sired by the Orpens.

Yes they are sons of Thanda Impi males.
1 user Likes Psyckoo's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Mbiri males with Skorro pride in Manyeleti

1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Guide of Tintswalo Neil Jennings was asked (on that group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1798656796868524/permalink/3826520234082160/?comment_id=3826620330738817&reply_comment_id=3826742340726616) what does he think about size comparison between Zig Zak Mbiri and RRM and that is what he said:

" that Mbiri male is very big! I think he is slightly bigger than Red Road but Red Road is not far behind"

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-16-2021, 10:01 PM by Tr1x24 )

(02-16-2021, 08:53 PM)Potato Wrote: Guide of Tintswalo Neil Jennings was asked (on that group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1798656796868524/permalink/3826520234082160/?comment_id=3826620330738817&reply_comment_id=3826742340726616) what does he think about size comparison between Zig Zak Mbiri and RRM and that is what he said:

" that Mbiri male is very big! I think he is slightly bigger than Red Road but Red Road is not far behind

He said," he think", so thats more of a spelucation, Scar is very muscular lion with massive head, so he gives that impression, in height, i think he is not any taller then Shaka. 

Also, when those rangers are speaking "who is bigger", keep in mind that size difference between those males is prob very minimal, might not be even noticeable when they stand against each others let alone if they where never seen side by side.. 

For example Mpondos, mostly unrelated males, and you even couldn't tell "who is bigger" when they where seen together, let alone if you see them separated.. 

Size difference between DM, Junior, RRM and Scar Mbiri is prob impossible to tell unless they stand against each others, might not even then..

By that logic if Scar > RRM >DM/Junior (Junior was the size of  Ginger when he was only 3.5 yrs old, and HB is slightly bigger then Ginger, HB was biggest of Matimbas and prob one of the biggest in Kruger) then Scar should dwarf every other lion around, and i dont think thats the case..

Size difference in male lions is very minimal, we can see that in numerous bigger coalitions, yes here and there some male is bigger/smaller but thats barely visiable, most of them is very close/similar in size.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(02-16-2021, 09:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: He said," he think", so thats more of a spelucation
No he wrote  that Mbiri male is very big! I think he is slightly bigger than Red Road but Red Road is not far behind"

(02-16-2021, 09:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Scar is very muscular lion with massive head, so he gives that impression, in height, i think he is not any taller then Shaka
Both Mbiri males are tall and muscular tho have in mind that every guide which worked with Mbiris seemd to not have any doubts that Scar is the overall larger of the Mbiris. Now big mane covers a lot of Scar's mucle so it is hard judge his size, but back in the day when Mbiris were settling down as dominant males and Scar did not have that big mane it was visible that his chest and back are wider than those of Shaka. On the other note I believe Shaka's size is very underrated as most view him through comparison to his brother, but in fact it is not that Shaka is small, but rather that Scar is very big and Sharka not that far behind him.
(02-16-2021, 09:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: For example Mpondos, mostly unrelated males, and you even couldn't tell "who is bigger" when they where seen together, let alone if you see them separated.. 
Do you compare ludging Mpondos by forum users by Pictures and very few videos of Mpondos to judge of guide who had good view on life on Mbiri males and multiple good life views on RRM? Really?

(02-16-2021, 09:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Size difference between DM, Junior, RRM and Scar Mbiri is prob impossible to tell unless they stand against each others, might not even then..
Nobody say they are huge. Also different guides many times compare size of various lions and they seem to know what they are talking about, especially when it comes to compare lions within one coalition.  

(02-16-2021, 09:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: By that logic if Scar > RRM >DM/Junior (Junior was the size of  Ginger when he was only 3.5 yrs old, and HB is slightly bigger then Ginger, HB was biggest of Matimbas and prob one of the biggest in Kruger) then Scar should dwarf every other lion around, and i dont think thats the case..

Guide said Scar is bigger than RRM and RRM is bigger than DM and Orpens, the rest is purely your (over)interpretation. Firstly Junior did not necessarily (yeah I know you have different opinion regarding to what age lions keep on growing) grow much or even at all. Secondly Junior did not necessarily was quite as large as Ginger. I know on videos he looks close or around Ginger's size, but on life difference could possible (I am just speculating) be visible. Thirdly you say HB was slightly bigger than Ginger, but word "slightly" in itself is a very a relative term.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

@Potato I was expecting that kind of reaction from you, I said my opinion.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Which prides make up the lions of manyeleti?

RookiePundit Offline

Talamati pride (Dark Mane Avoca) in the south, spending a lot of time in northern Sabi Sands as well.
Ximhungwe lioness with her cub, if you call them a pride (cub sired by Avocas, Blondie specifically)
Nharu pride (Red Road Male), to the north of Talamatis, moving more south lately avoiding
Mbiri pride or rather the Tintswalo coalition of 4 (3 of them born in Mbiri pride, one joined them from Nharu).
There used to be Koppie pride north of Mbiri pride, but second to last lioness got killed and eaten by Mbiri lioness + Orpen male, so the remaining one with remaining cubs left the area and they are probably in Kruger if alive.
And in the north, members of Birmingham pride from Timbavati wander in sometimes, mostly north of Manyeleti or in the very north of Manyeleti is Skorro pride and there should be Skorro breakaway - lioness with 4 sub-adults of 2 different ages (results of change of dominant males in Scorro pride).
Imbali pride is roughly east of Nharus in Kruger and sometimes could be seen on the property as well.
5 users Like RookiePundit's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(02-17-2021, 01:38 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Which prides make up the lions of manyeleti?

Mbiri, Nharu and Talamati + few not resident, showing themselfs once for couple of months or so like Skorro, Birminghams or Imbali.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Hairy tummy Offline

The mbiri male does look a awesome specimen, he definitely has a huge head and big mane, does he look so big because the females are on the  smaller side? Just a thought