There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-26-2020, 11:47 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Red Road Male looking fantastic, such a powerful looking beast.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

This is precisely why I cannot understand why the injured Birmingham male insists on remaining in this pride. I think the Ross Males may end up killing him one of these days, if he doesn't trek out on his own, and start looking for friends. 

3 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2020, 11:10 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-27-2020, 10:50 PM)BA0701 Wrote: This is precisely why I cannot understand why the injured Birmingham male insists on remaining in this pride. I think the Ross Males may end up killing him one of these days, if he doesn't trek out on his own, and start looking for friends. 

As rangers said, young male was playing with his sister and then Tyson attacked him.. Thats just dominant behavior of a male lion, young male needs to know his place, otherwise he would start challenging them and trying to mate with the females..

As ranger said, it was nothing serious, just a little scrap.. And as we see they where ok with each others later on.. 

Tyson attacks even his brother Fabio like that, when Fabio is near females that Tyson likes, so i wouldn't made much off that scrap.. 

People always saying that they will kill him, but i doubt it..what are they waiting for then?? Fabio is very tolerate of young male, and Tyson cant kill it alone anymore..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-27-2020, 11:10 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 10:50 PM)BA0701 Wrote: This is precisely why I cannot understand why the injured Birmingham male insists on remaining in this pride. I think the Ross Males may end up killing him one of these days, if he doesn't trek out on his own, and start looking for friends. 

As rangers said, young male was playing with his sister and then Tyson attacked him.. Thats just dominant behavior of a male lion, young male needs to know his place, otherwise he would start challenging them and trying to mate with the females..

As ranger said, it was nothing serious, just a little scrap.. And as we see they where ok with each others later on.. 

Tyson attacks even his brother Fabio like that, when Fabio is near females that Tyson likes, so i wouldn't made much off that scrap.. 

People always saying that they will kill him, but i doubt it..what are they waiting for then?? Fabio is very tolerate of young male, and Tyson cant kill it alone anymore..

You and I have both seen the video of him trying to mount one of the lionesses. He got away with it then, but I believe had even Fabio seen that incident he would have attacked, that one incident could have been deadly for the young Birmingham if witnessed by both Ross males. 

The young Birmingham is getting to the age where he might not be able to control those urges much longer, as he has already shown to have given into them on at least one occasion. While Fabio has been tolerant, I don't believe that tolerance would include his trying to mate with the pride. 

Just like the incident with Sekekama, when he killed his own son, and the young Birmingham is not their son, such behavior could be deadly. They perhaps won't kill him, but he has already been given an injury that may affect him for the rest of his life and could make things more difficult for him out on his own, they could very well injure him even further, causing it to be near impossible for him to survive a nomadic life. Most males his age would have left after all of this, I am trying to understand why he hasn't. 

I suppose that amounts to attempting to apply logic to a situation where none exists. But, isn't that quest for knowledge what draws us all to these wonderful pages to begin with? Cheers my friend!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-27-2020, 11:24 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Most males his age would have left after all of this, I am trying to understand why he hasn't. 

Well, he doesnt have much of a choice now with that leg injury.. Even if he could survive on his own, i think he is affraid to try it.. Injured animal definitely thinks and acts different, and they will try to heal up and get easy meals, and for him thats sticking with his pride..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-27-2020, 11:10 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

I'm not sure that "ok with each other" is how I'd describe it. The young male is clearly very concerned about Tyson, and appears a little skittish around him, rightly so imo. 

3 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-28-2020, 12:10 AM)BA0701 Wrote: I'm not sure that "ok with each other" is how I'd describe it. The young male is clearly very concerned about Tyson, and appears a little skittish around him, rightly so imo. 

Well ofc because they just had a scrap, so there was a bit of tension.. But they where lying just few meters apart and young male choose to walk just in from off him, if he was affraid, he wouldn't do that..

He was also with the pride today, Fabio lying just behind him:

*This image is copyright of its original author

I agree that this is very rare and unusual situation, any scenario can happen, we will need to wait and see i guess..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

The ross males were especially watchful cuz there was a female in estrus. But how the young male was walking away and looking back at the ross male like that, he has some balls.
3 users Like sik94's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

6 users Like Matimbalani's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

So apperantly 1 of the Koppies lionesses died month or so ago, leaving only 2 females in the pride with the cubs, and with Mbiris moving into their territory following Junior, those cubs are in serious danger.. 

I like Orpen males, but those guys are just shifting from pride to pride after they are done mating and females are not in estrus anymore..

They abandon their cubs from Scorro pride, and now will prob do the same with Koppies pride, especially if Buddy passes away, Junior will prob chose the bigger and stronger pride of the 2...
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(09-01-2020, 01:17 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: So apperantly 1 of the Koppies lionesses died month or so ago, leaving only 2 females in the pride with the cubs, and with Mbiris moving into their territory following Junior, those cubs are in serious danger.. 

I like Orpen males, but those guys are just shifting from pride to pride after they are done mating and females are not in estrus anymore..

They abandon their cubs from Scorro pride, and now will prob do the same with Koppies pride, especially if Buddy passes away, Junior will prob chose the bigger and stronger pride of the 2...

Aren't the Scorro pride cubs a bit older? It probably doesn't help that those prides don't have a male so they can just waltz in without much resistance.
3 users Like Matimbalani's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

I thought Hercules and Sumatra were with the Scorro pride and had even accepted the cubs of the Orpen males.
2 users Like sik94's post

New Zealand Selati Offline

(09-01-2020, 03:58 AM)sik94 Wrote: I thought Hercules and Sumatra were with the Scorro pride and had even accepted the cubs of the Orpen males.

They are with the Skorro Pride. Don't think they accepted the Orpen cubs as there is now a Skorro Breakaway Pride which has the sub-adults and a older lioness with them.
2 users Like Selati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-01-2020, 03:58 AM)sik94 Wrote: I thought Hercules and Sumatra were with the Scorro pride and had even accepted the cubs of the Orpen males.

No, those current Scorro cubs are their cubs.. Orpen offspring was killed and few run away with 1 lioness..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"Orpen offspring was killed and few run away with 1 lioness"

Asumption based on what exactly? There wasn't any report of Sumatra and Hercules killing any sub adults sired by Orpen males. Orpen males bassicly succesfully raised their generation in Skorro pride and it is natural for them to move further. Leaving Koppies pride behind is indeed unfortunate, but also it is better for Orpens as well as for lion population that they chossen to be with pride of 6 insteed pride of 2. Also I do not think Mbiri pride move into Koppies pride territorry is permament and they very soon should be back further south.
1 user Likes Potato's post