There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spotted Hyena (Crocuta crocuta)

United States ShereKhan Offline
Banned

(07-02-2018, 01:54 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 07:36 AM)Shir Babr Wrote: #68 & "a guy with a pet Hyena that he could never train because the Hyena never felt any of the punishment he used in trening."
Animal cruelty much?

(06-30-2018, 06:07 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: They are almost like a hybrid between a wolf and a bear. 

Hyenas belong to Feliformia, they're their own thing, can't really be compared to wolves and bears since they're completely different from physical characteristics to social behavior.
When you have a big powerful dog you need to diseplin them physically sometimes to make them learn and respect you. This guy couldn’t do that with a spotted hyena. 

BULLSHIT. No, you don't. I've trained dogs for almost 10 years. Police dogs, military dogs, house pets. Rottweilers, Danes, Dobermans, Dogos, Pitbulls....you name it. Never once have I used any sort of physicality on the dog. And I've never had one of my dogs not "respect" their owner or handler.

Earning "respect" through physical means on animals, children, or women is gutless. It means you're the one who is weak and afraid.
2 users Like ShereKhan's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-02-2018, 08:15 PM by Pantherinae )

(07-02-2018, 07:50 PM)ShereKhan Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 07:36 AM)Shir Babr Wrote: #68 & "a guy with a pet Hyena that he could never train because the Hyena never felt any of the punishment he used in trening."
Animal cruelty much?

(06-30-2018, 06:07 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: They are almost like a hybrid between a wolf and a bear. 

Hyenas belong to Feliformia, they're their own thing, can't really be compared to wolves and bears since they're completely different from physical characteristics to social behavior.
When you have a big powerful dog you need to diseplin them physically sometimes to make them learn and respect you. This guy couldn’t do that with a spotted hyena. 

BULLSHIT. No, you don't. I've trained dogs for almost 10 years. Police dogs, military dogs, house pets. Rottweilers, Danes, Dobermans, Dogos, Pitbulls....you name it. Never once have I used any sort of physicality on the dog. And I've never had one of my dogs not "respect" their owner or handler.

Earning "respect" through physical means on animals, children, or women is gutless. It means you're the one who is weak and afraid.

I have only owned a Bernese Moutain Dog he was just kind so I haven’t trained any dogs. 
But I have Friends traing large powerful breeds, that says (not beat the dog) but grab the dog and let it know who’s the boss, I guess if the dog has a bad temperament you should do what is nesasary espesially with a large potentially dangerous breed. The guy has the nicest dogs and has trained dogs for decades. In his defence he dosen’t beat the dogs he just grabs them when they don’t listen as they are young he has had massive mastiffs (90kg), you don’t want something like that out of controll! 

You are wrong. Dogs aren’t humans it’s silly even to make a comparison... They don’t look at you as weak in wild wolf packs (Hyena clans aswell) dominant members will physically dominate lower ranked members. To show who decides.

United States ShereKhan Offline
Banned

(07-02-2018, 08:10 PM)o Pantherinae Wrote:
Animal cruelty much?

I have only owned a Bernese Moutain Dog he was just kind so I haven’t trained any dogs. 
But I have Friends traing large powerful breeds, that says (not beat the dog) but grab the dog and let it know who’s the boss, I guess if the dog has a bad temperament you should do what is nesasary espesially with a large potentially dangerous breed. The guy has the nicest dogs and has trained dogs for decades. In his defence he dosen’t beat the dogs he just grabs them when they don’t listen as they are young he has had massive mastiffs (90kg), you don’t want something like that out of controll! 

You are wrong. Dogs aren’t humans it’s silly even to make a comparison... They don’t look at you as weak in wild wolf packs (Hyena clans aswell) dominant members will physically dominate lower ranked members. To show who decides.

I've trained mastiffs. Never laid a single f'ing hand on any of them. A dog who listnes to you out love and kindess will not turn on you like a dog who listens out of fear. Because one day, that fear won't be there. And then what? Now you're fucked.

I know a guy who "trained" pit bulls like your friend. Grabbed them by neck and yelled and even kicked them. They seemed "trained" because they cowered in fear. Until one day....he yelled and grabbed a dog......and the dog spun around and took a chunk out of his arm and bit him in the face and he needed over 100 stitches in his face, chest, and arm. Dog and human relationship doesn't have a damn thing to do with pack mentality or who is weak or stronger. That's a bunch of garbage that has no basis in fact or science.
2 users Like ShereKhan's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-04-2018, 08:47 AM by Pantherinae )

(07-03-2018, 07:56 AM)ShereKhan Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 08:10 PM)o Pantherinae Wrote:
Animal cruelty much?

I've trained mastiffs. Never laid a single f'ing hand on any of them. A dog who listnes to you out love and kindess will not turn on you like a dog who listens out of fear. Because one day, that fear won't be there. And then what? Now you're fucked.

I know a guy who "trained" pit bulls like your friend. Grabbed them by neck and yelled and even kicked them. They seemed "trained" because they cowered in fear. Until one day....he yelled and grabbed a dog......and the dog spun around and took a chunk out of his arm and bit him in the face and he needed over 100 stitches in his face, chest, and arm. Dog and human relationship doesn't have a damn thing to do with pack mentality or who is weak or stronger. That's a bunch of garbage that has no basis in fact or science.
As I said he never kicked the dogs and just grabbed them when they where aggressive. So the guy you know are probably not the same type of guy. The dogs he had was usually rescued dog and hated men. He managed to train them and make them nice family dogs, that's all I say. They weren't fearful or passive they seemed happy. So his methods seemed to work. 
Nobody should beat their dogs... 

The dogs will believe you are their leader. Dogs are pack animals I don't know if you have been to Eastern Europe where there are sadly many abounded dogs, they forms packs. They fight, they hunt and have a territory. I think the thing you said if they fear you and believe you are a leader, they will try to overthrow you. As happens with all wild animals as well as wild domesticated dogs.

Like the first clip here in this video, when the dog tries to attack he grabs the dog not aggressively, but shows he is dominant and makes the dog retreat. Did you think I meant he did physically abuse the the dogs? Because if that is what you think he wouldn't be my friend and I would get him arrested. 

it's no point in arguing with me here on this topic as I don't know or care much about the large "aggressive" dog breeds as I haven't trained one before. And I honestly don't think I have the patience to do so, (we had an American Akita when I grew up though said to be an aggressive dog, but he was laid back and extremely nice). I'm just saying what he has told me.
All I know is dogs are very different and someone is aggressive and bad tempered, if the parents are aggressive or the former owners haven't treated them well. And a large angry dog can be a very powerful and dangerous animal

Anyways back to the spotted hyena...

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Stealing a lechwe kill from wild dogs.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author

Sorry for the large image, it's the best I could do with my screen shot for some reason.

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-06-2019, 08:06 PM by Sanju )

Amazed... Wow 
(click to play the video)

Hyenas and Hippos...

Q: what happened to that 1st hippo's eyes???
That solo honey badger is the synonym of the bravery against the hyena clan...
Those Jackals showed hell to the trapped hyena, but hyena got one and ripped it while other jackals are tearing the hyena away. lol
1 user Likes Sanju's post

Sanju Offline

Zing Zing Amazing.....!!!!!

3 users Like Sanju's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Big looking individual 

4 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Spotted and Brown hyena

4 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Spotted hyenas killing large rhino calf 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqutR4OFQj_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=t13rwagoouq4
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Sanju Offline

1 user Likes Sanju's post

Poland nobody Offline

Three-Legged Hyena Falls Right Into Lion's Trap

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 07:44 PM by epaiva )

Exhibited in Museo de Ciencias de Caracas, Venezuela and skull

3 users Like epaiva's post