There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Lion and Tiger Fight Interaction in Zoo, Circus or Any Other Captive Places

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

One thing, which I have to say about that video I shared. When watching it, it can be analyzed in many ways. Still I recommend to look it as it is in normal speed. From start to finish a lot of action in fast pace, never a moment for either animal to "think", only time to react and all the time more or less "out of balance". Action-reaction-reaction-reaction-reaction-reaction...... until in the end both startle that gunshot. When I read, what @peter writes, I agree and disagree in different parts. That is what I meant, that when asking from 10 different people, 10 different analysis.

I have watched this in normal speed and in slow motion and I think, that all, who are interested, have done the same. I personally always look in normal speed last. Just to remind about reality, what looks in slow motion maybe carefully considered action, changes back to what it is, fast and no time to think.

Commenting in this is quite ok, imo, just if all remember that people can see things in different way. For instance it would be useless to try to convince me, that there was a winner in this fight. I then again don´t care if someone disagrees with me, feel free, whoever does so. I don´t take it personally :) No-one should. 

Just keep it civilized.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(08-13-2019, 02:56 AM)Shadow Wrote: This is one serious fight between tiger-lion and unedited, unlike most videos on youtube. 

This is for me a good example about it, that how useless it is to create fancy theories how fights go, like it would be some video game. Both animals are very capable to fight in different positions. This time luckily trainer was able to shoot that gun and confuse/scare animals to stop fighting. If not able to separate, impossible to say which one would have been lifeless in the end. Of course some people without any doubt are able to tell how it would have ended Wink 

This has happened some time in February 2018 in Russia. I haven´t shared it before, but since there is so much edited crap in youtube, maybe it is good to see one real incident, where it all can be seen from start to finish.

Seems to be so, that these trainers maybe shouldn´t have these animals.

I forgot to put this translation from description of that first video:

"zapashny.ru: My brother and I are constantly asked: how often do predators attack you?
Predators are much more likely to sort things out with each other than with us!
Today, Dieter (an adult and a dangerous tiger) decided to show the place to a still very young lion David and attacked him! This was David’s first fight in his life and he wasn’t ready, but after we managed to break them for the first time, David decided to punish the offender and went to the frontal!
For the first time in many years, my brother had to shoot with a BLANK shot at a performance and that only stopped the fight !!!
As a result of the fight, both had several wounds, but we didn’t have to sew them up !!!"

I hope, that mentioning "This was David´s first fight in his life" doesn´t mean, that now when performing many to come.... I am not sure if there was some other incident also concerning these same trainers.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 05:30 PM by sanjay )

Ok, this one is new, posted on 29th July this year.
The Lion Pack and Tiger pack interact with each other in very interesting way, Though there is separation between them. Tiger seems to be little confuse and fierce not with other tiger but with lion also.

Lioness / Lion is calm on the other hand.

Comments and Language is Russian I guess?

5 users Like sanjay's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 06:06 PM by Shadow )

(08-15-2019, 05:28 PM)sanjay Wrote: Ok, this one is new, posted on 29th July this year.
The Lion Pack and Tiger pack interact with each other in very interesting way, Though there is separation between them. Tiger seems to be little confuse and fierce not with other tiger but with lion also.

These lionesses looked like very robust. Anything more and goes to obese, imo, but in this condition looking like as heavy as possible and still quite fit. It would be interesting to know weights. And that male lion in the beginning also looked like to be as big as possible to be called still robust and not fat :) They didn´t look like to have anything to be ashamed of in comparison to those tigers. Of course it wasn´t possible to see side by side though. 
It would be very interesting to get more information about these tigers and lions.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Sanju Offline

(08-15-2019, 05:28 PM)sanjay Wrote: Ok, this one is new, posted on 29th July this year.

its oleg zubkov's lions-taigan park, crimea.
1 user Likes Sanju's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2019, 03:26 PM by Shadow )

One more thing about that posting of @Megalodon.

Quote:

"There's no way that lion was "very young" according to you're translation. It couldn't be because the lion had a fully-developed mane. I'd say it was probably around 5 years old."

When starting to use words like "no way". Or "fact". Then check the facts, before writing or just state, that your opinion is, that probably older. Do not write "no way" when you are just speculating.

Here is interview of Edgar Zapashny from October 8th 2015 where he has lion David with him and it is 3 months old there. So born in early July 2015 (no exact date, so could be late June or late July too). Name is mentioned on video 0:40-0:42 and 1:38 so, that even if not speaking Russian language, easy to understand. And it is mentioned in article.

That fight was mentioned July 22nd 2018 first time (based on what I found). When taking in account, that David was mentioned to be young or very young in every possible article I have seen in English or in Russian, logical conclusion is, that same lion. And so David was, when this fight occurred 3 years old, maybe a few days younger, but probably a few d a y s  older.

Your estimation @Megalodon was then 2 years wrong and considering how young this lion was, you were almost doubling it´s age in your estimation. So if you still one day post here and write something in a way, that you want to deny some information or state something as a fact, be sure, that you can back it up and show sources. Too much vague statements and misinformation stated as facts this far. If you want to continue same way, go to some other place, where people don´t care about facts and/or source criticism.

Here is article and video about young David the lion.

Quote: 
"People's Artist of Russia Edgard Zapashny demonstrates his young pupil - three-month-old David - and talks with representatives of which sex is easier for him to work with. A fragment of the program "Alone with everyone."

https://www.1tv.ru/shows/naedine-so-vsemi/lichnyy-moment/edgard-zapashnyy-mne-bolshe-nravitsya-rabotat-s-pacanami-naedine-so-vsemi-fragment-vypuska-ot-08102015

And reason to post this isn´t to start debate about it, that how prepared lion was to this fight. It was already obviously big and capable. No-one asks in the wild too if ready or not, fight or flee (if possible) is the name of the game there too. I posted this only to show a bit more, why I suspended @Megalodon again. 

Disagreements etc. are ok, but not stating opinions like facts all the time even after clear warnings.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Spain Spotted Offline
New Join
( This post was last modified: 10-08-2019, 01:06 PM by Rishi )

A young lion reportedly killed a Siberian tiger in Korea:

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-08-2019, 11:43 AM)Spotted Wrote: A young lion reportedly killed a Siberian tiger in Korea:

It was a Tigress who jumped into her trench after the lion fell in, when she landed she did so awkwardly and the lion took advantage and bit her neck and killed her.
https://www.google.com/amp/m.koreatimes....sIdx=36355
3 users Like Pckts's post

Spain Spotted Offline
New Join

"It was a Tigress who jumped into her trench after the lion fell in, when she landed she did so awkwardly and the lion took advantage and bit her neck and killed her."

Pckts, it is clear that you are talking of a different account. In this case the lion is said to be young while in the old account you mention the lion was six years old. Besides, the pics show that the cats involved are clearly different in each of the two incidents.
1 user Likes Spotted's post

Spain Spotted Offline
New Join

*This image is copyright of its original author

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-09-2019, 06:41 PM by Pckts )

(10-09-2019, 03:57 PM)Spotted Wrote: "It was a Tigress who jumped into her trench after the lion fell in, when she landed she did so awkwardly and the lion took advantage and bit her neck and killed her."

Pckts, it is clear that you are talking of a different account. In this case the lion is said to be young while in the old account you mention the lion was six years old. Besides, the pics show that the cats involved are clearly different in each of the two incidents.

It's the same zoo and the only known account of it occurring there and the lion is said to be 5, the Tiger is said to be 6.
There is no other account of a lion killing a tiger at Jeonju zoo.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Pckts @Spotted

Perhaps more precision on this link:

https://bigcatrescue.org/lion-kills-tiger-in-zoo/

" By Kim Rahn
Staff Reporter
If a lion and a tiger fight, which will win?
At a zoo in Jeonju, North Jeolla Province, a lion did.
A male lion killed a female tiger by biting her in the neck at Jeonju Zoo around 3:40 p.m. Wednesday.
The incident occurred when the five-year-old lion, named “Cheongi,” fell into a trench five meters below his yard, which segregates the pen from zoo visitors, while attempting to catch a chicken that a zookeeper had thrown to him.
Right after the lion’s falling, the tiger, six-year-old “Hobi,” who was in her pen next to Cheongi’s, jumped into the trench. “Hobi, excited while watching it, jumped down to the trench. She made a poor landing, then Cheongi attacked her, bit a fatal spot, and killed her,” the zookeeper said.
The lion and the tiger were similar in length, but the former was heavier by about 20 kilograms, weighing 110 kilograms. Hobi, a Siberian tiger, was moved to the zoo in 2006.
“It is rare that a tiger and a lion fight. The lion seems to have thought the tiger invaded his territory and attacked her,” the zookeeper said. He said that the outcome of fight between a lion and a tiger depends on which gets a head start and which is more aggressive, adding that neither animal is always superior to the other.
The zoo plans to donate the body of the tiger to Chonbuk National University. "

But 110 kilos for a male lion and 90 kilos for a tigress... Were these felids underfed ? I would believe it with ease.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-09-2019, 07:02 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts @Spotted

Perhaps more precision on this link:

https://bigcatrescue.org/lion-kills-tiger-in-zoo/

" By Kim Rahn
Staff Reporter
If a lion and a tiger fight, which will win?
At a zoo in Jeonju, North Jeolla Province, a lion did.
A male lion killed a female tiger by biting her in the neck at Jeonju Zoo around 3:40 p.m. Wednesday.
The incident occurred when the five-year-old lion, named “Cheongi,” fell into a trench five meters below his yard, which segregates the pen from zoo visitors, while attempting to catch a chicken that a zookeeper had thrown to him.
Right after the lion’s falling, the tiger, six-year-old “Hobi,” who was in her pen next to Cheongi’s, jumped into the trench. “Hobi, excited while watching it, jumped down to the trench. She made a poor landing, then Cheongi attacked her, bit a fatal spot, and killed her,” the zookeeper said.
The lion and the tiger were similar in length, but the former was heavier by about 20 kilograms, weighing 110 kilograms. Hobi, a Siberian tiger, was moved to the zoo in 2006.
“It is rare that a tiger and a lion fight. The lion seems to have thought the tiger invaded his territory and attacked her,” the zookeeper said. He said that the outcome of fight between a lion and a tiger depends on which gets a head start and which is more aggressive, adding that neither animal is always superior to the other.
The zoo plans to donate the body of the tiger to Chonbuk National University. "

But 110 kilos for a male lion and 90 kilos for a tigress... Were these felids underfed ? I would believe it with ease.
Yes, it's the same account.
I'm not so much concerned about their weights, not all Lions and Tigers are 220kg monsters plus both are young for captive cats so they'll continue to put on size.

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Pckts :

About #104:

The lion "Cheongi" was 5 years old and weighed 110 kilos.
The tigress "Hobi" was 6 years old and weighed 90 kilos.

Perhaps being captive they were still subadult, but I don't think so and in wild they would be in their best period of vigour, power. So yes, I repeat they might be underfed, both could easily weigh 40 kilos more (without being 220 kilos monsters as you told).
2 users Like Spalea's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-09-2019, 07:43 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts :

About #104:

The lion "Cheongi" was 5 years old and weighed 110 kilos.
The tigress "Hobi" was 6 years old and weighed 90 kilos.

Perhaps being captive they were still subadult, but I don't think so and  in wild they would be in their best period of vigour, power. So yes, I repeat they might be underfed, both could easily weigh 40 kilos more (without being 220 kilos monsters as you told).

You cannot compare captive to wild, Wild cats have the best genetics possible and are forced to grow fast or die while captive cats have no need to live by the law of survival of the fittest. Even in the wild you have adult lions and Tigers who have been under 90kg and under 160kg respectively and they were prime aged.
Also, they're both still around 2 years away from their primes in the wild.