WildFact
Bovids of the Pleistocene - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Extinct Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-extinct-animals)
+---- Forum: Prehistoric animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-prehistoric-animals)
+---- Thread: Bovids of the Pleistocene (/topic-bovids-of-the-pleistocene)

Pages: 1 2

Bovids of the Pleistocene - Spalea - 01-28-2018

The Pleistocene undoubtely, appears to have been a golden Age concerning the great mammals. Among them the American buffalos:

1) bison latifrons. Length: 3,40 m, Height: 2,50 m, weight: 2000 kilos North America

*This image is copyright of its original author

Bison priscus: lenght: 3m, heigth: 2m, weigth: 1200 kilos Eurasia and North America

Let us also mention Bison Antiquus. 3m60 lenght, 2m27 height, 1600 kilos weigth. The most common large herbivore of the North American continent.

To be continued...

RE: Bovids of the pleistocene. - brotherbear - 01-28-2018

That long-horned bison even dwarfs a bull gaur.

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Spalea - 01-29-2018

(01-28-2018, 08:59 PM)brotherbear Wrote: That long-horned bison even dwarfs a bull gaur.

2 tons ? It was perhaps the biggest bovid of all times. At last one of the biggest...

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Spalea - 02-14-2018

Just a sketch of this impressive Bison Latifrons:

And a possible analogy from a recent movie "King Kong Skull Island": of course the fictionnal buffalo is much more monstruous with their tripled directional horns. What do you want, we can fantasize all what we want to imagine.

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Spalea - 02-14-2018

An other famous bovid of the Pleistocene, but in Africa this one: Pelorovis.

Just try to imagine an extant African buffalo, same repartition, with much longer horns: weighing between 1200 kilos (average) and 2000 kilos. Each horn could reach one meter long.

If you want to compare with his descendants:

More precisions: https://prehistoric-fauna.com/Pelorovis-antiquus

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Wolverine - 09-10-2018

Bison latifrons

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - brotherbear - 09-15-2018

Which Pleistocene predator would have hunted the giant bison's of N. America, dire wolves, scimitar cat, saber-toothed cat, or American lion?  -Just curious.

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - epaiva - 09-15-2018

(09-10-2018, 12:33 PM)Wolverine Wrote: Bison latifrons

It was a incredible animal Huge and Powerful

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Spalea - 09-16-2018

@brotherbear:

About #7: American lion and saber-toothed cat like homotherium, I would say... And perhaps a pride of dire wolves as concerns the jung and subadult ones...

I reproduce here an illutration of the very good book "The big cats and their fossil relatives" from Alant Turner (text) and Mauricio Anton (illustrations).

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - brotherbear - 09-16-2018

Thank you Spalea. BIG big cats for huge bison. As a kid, I was super-interested in dinosaurs. Now its the Pleistocene that I find so interesting.

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Spalea - 09-16-2018

#10: Same process for me, brotherbear... Kid, I was fond of the dinosaurs (and always now) but now I found the pleistocene period clearly fascinating, especially in North America.

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Smilodon-Rex - 10-03-2018

Smilodon fatalis attacking Giant bison

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Smilodon-Rex - 10-03-2018

(09-16-2018, 01:36 AM)Spalea Wrote: @brotherbear:

About #7: American lion and saber-toothed cat like homotherium, I would say... And perhaps a pride of dire wolves as concerns the jung and subadult ones...

I reproduce here an illutration of the very good book "The big cats and their fossil relatives" from Alant Turner (text) and Mauricio Anton (illustrations).

Spalea, is the bison hunted by lions was discovered in Alaska? if so, the lions were the alaska cave lion but not panthera atrox

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Spalea - 10-03-2018

(10-03-2018, 06:06 PM)Smilodon-Rex Wrote:

Spalea, is the bison hunted by lions was discovered in Alaska? if so, the lions were the alaska cave lion but not panthera atrox

It is spoken about American lion and evoked some possible interactions with homotherium... So here is the previous page of the book relating it:

And the entire following page:

RE: Bovids of the Pleistocene - Smilodon-Rex - 10-28-2018

(10-03-2018, 08:37 PM)Spalea Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 06:06 PM)Smilodon-Rex Wrote:

It is spoken about American lion and evoked some possible interactions with homotherium... So here is the previous page of the book relating it:

And the entire following page:

East Africa Pleistocene,  a herd of Pelorvis and three lions(Panthera leo shawi?) walking on the bank of water, at the nearing woods, two giraffes(Giraffa jume)taking food