WildFact
Why tiger has 9 subspecies not 1? - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Questions (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-questions)
+--- Thread: Why tiger has 9 subspecies not 1? (/topic-why-tiger-has-9-subspecies-not-1)

Why tiger has 9 subspecies not 1? - P.T.Sondaica - 05-13-2017

Why in NGC Tiger still 9 subspecies not 1 sub like u say

Edit:
Question is re-framed

RE: Why - Rishi - 05-13-2017

(05-13-2017, 04:41 PM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: Why in NGC Tiger still 9 subspecies not 1 sub like u say

Who says??!!!

RE: Why - P.T.Sondaica - 05-13-2017

(05-13-2017, 05:08 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(05-13-2017, 04:41 PM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: Why in NGC Tiger still 9 subspecies not 1 sub like u say

Who says??!!!

@Ngala

RE: Why - brotherbear - 05-13-2017

NGC = ?

(05-13-2017, 07:20 PM)brotherbear Wrote: NGC = ?

National geographic channel...i think.

(05-13-2017, 06:22 PM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote:

Who says??!!!

Ngala

People have their own opinions...& others are allowed to disagree.

(Why is this in "Premiere league" while there is a fuporum called "Questions"??!!!)

RE: Why tiger has 9 subspecies not 1? - sanjay - 05-13-2017

Moved to question.
 NGC means National Geography channel

We have some discussion going on real number of tiger subspecies and I think @P.T.Sondaica asking by reading those

RE: Why tiger has 9 subspecies not 1? - Ngala - 05-13-2017

(05-13-2017, 06:22 PM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote:

Who says??!!!

@Ngala

Why you have tagged me?

I think that i've never said or written anything like that. Maybe you're confusing me with another user.

RE: Why tiger has 9 subspecies not 1? - tigerluver - 05-25-2017

Hi @P.T.Sondaica,
The tiger subspecies issues is not agreed upon by everyone just yet. More recent studies have called for 2 subspecies, the island tigers and mainland tigers. Simply put, the bases of these studies is that there is not enough genetic difference between the mainland subspecies to warrant the label.

On the other hand (such as this one), older studies feel this difference is enough. Unlike the term "species", the term "subspecies" has not yet been given a unanimously accepted definition. For instance, orcas have ecotypes rather than subspecies. The difference? Depends on who you ask. 

Another reason why the authors such as Cooper and Kitchener propose a 2 subspecies classification is, from their own words, to have a "pragmatic approach." Meaning, time is running out and populations of the "subspecies" are running thin and thus, being too specific with subspecies is unneeded trouble. Here, scientific definition is being given in context of reality. Here's a short article that discusses the pros and cons of the 2 subspecies vs. multi-subspecies debate.

RE: Why tiger has 9 subspecies not 1? - Rishi - 05-25-2017

(05-25-2017, 02:47 AM)tigerluver Wrote: ...r hand (such as this one), olde...

How do i tag links like ^^that??..

@P.T.Sondaica Then again science lets everything be debatable..no matter whoever says it. 

Siberians, Bengals, Sumatrans are easily distinguishable even by a layman.
IndoChinese & Malayan..not so much (they weren't even differentiated a few years ago).

Caspian & Siberians were later found to be genetically same & not seperate subspecies, inspite of being visibly different, like the Sundarban & (probably) Bhutanese populations with the rest of Bengal tigers.

Contagious populations like Bengal-IndoChinese & IndoChinese-Malayan merge into each other with no distinctive boundary. Maybe someday Amoys & Amurs did so as well.

Large sprawling populations like Bengals show minor genetic variations, like the average size of India tigers tends to reduce from North to Central to South.
Maybe Caspian, Russian & Korean tigers were similarly related.

Bottomline, it's complicated...& way too complex to be described perfectly.