WildFact
The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-general-section)
+--- Forum: Debate and Discussion about Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-debate-and-discussion-about-wild-animals)
+--- Thread: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom (/topic-the-strongest-bites-in-the-animal-kingdom)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - Vinay - 04-03-2017

(04-02-2017, 10:06 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: @Vinay why are you so disrespectful towards lions? You're really underestimating them. A male lion is just as tough as a male tiger..,I can't help for getting annoyed about seeing this from posters, that will disrespect L or T, then to praise the other., aswell as being rude towards other members.. Those two animals are in fact very equal.

I really hope that if you keep posting stuff like this, that moderators will ban you..

What?? 

I simply put scientifically measured data (FACTS) here not my personal opinion.

9.African Lion   

PSI: 691 

15.Bengal Tiger 

PSI: 1,050

I said many times Jaguar and Leopard are equal/same but many have problem with that too...

Edit(sanjay):
Removed the some part of the Post

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - Tshokwane - 04-03-2017

(04-03-2017, 11:57 AM)Vinay Wrote: I simply put scientifically measured data (FACTS) here not my personal opinion.

That's not the problem. Data can be countered.

The problem is this:
(04-03-2017, 11:57 AM)Vinay Wrote: Of-course facts annoy many.  Ha Ha

The attitude. 

Sometimes I think you want to discuss things, others that you're intentionally trolling everyone. 

And I'm leaning towards the latter because you don't seem to listen to the warnings the mods give to you.

You want to post facts? Do it. But leave the sarcasm aside, because it creates problems and when others respond in kind you won't like it, and I'll remember who started it initially.

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - Polar - 04-03-2017

(04-03-2017, 09:55 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Polar

About #59:

the deinonychus bite force:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1080/02724634.2010.483535

The dromaeosaurid bite force (titled paragraphs "bite me (redux)":

https://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/dromaeosaurs-are-terrestrial-hawks/

About the theropods:

http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2010/06/09/4549384.html

As concerns the deinonychus, I think a 8200N bite force is clearly exaggerated. Especially when we consider the skull structure

I would agree with your last statement too. Considering Deinonychus's thin and not-so-muscled skull, the bite estimates should be much lower.

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - epaiva - 06-27-2017

(01-14-2017, 01:50 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Apollo

About #52: with the detailed link you downloaded, here are the big cats' bite forces.

By decreasing order:

1) Tiger                   1234,3 N
2) Lion                    1198,6 N
3)Jaguar                   879.5 N
4)Leopard                 558,6 N
5) Puma                   499,6 N
6) Snow leopard        363 N
7) Clouded leopard     344,2N
I am sure that Jaguars bite much harder than what you see ranked here  because they are the only Big Cats that destroy the Skulls of the biggest  prey and destroy carapaces of even the Biggest Sea Turtles.

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - Pckts - 06-27-2017

Jaguar's jaw muscles used to generate power a long with their skulls are much smaller which means they aren't able to generate the same power as the big boys, but they do have the highest lb for lb bite force of any big cat.

"Relative to weight, it’s the jaguar. Recent research by Adam Hartstone-Rose and colleagues at the University of South Carolina, who compared the bite forces of nine different cat species, reveals that jaguars have three-quarters the bite force of tigers.
However, given that jaguars are considerably smaller (the body mass of the individual in the study was only half that of the tiger), relatively speaking their bite is stronger.
“If you had to choose, you’d want to be bitten by a jaguar, not a lion or a tiger. But pound for pound, jaguars pack a stronger punch,” says Adam. “The strength of the jaguar’s bite is due to the arrangement of its jaw muscles, which, relative to weight, are slightly stronger than those of other cats. In addition – also relative to weight – its jaws are slightly shorter, which increases the leverage for biting.”
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ar.22518/full

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - epaiva - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 01:42 AM)Pckts Wrote: Jaguar's jaw muscles used to generate power a long with their skulls are much smaller which means they aren't able to generate the same power as the big boys, but they do have the highest lb for lb bite force of any big cat.

"Relative to weight, it’s the jaguar. Recent research by Adam Hartstone-Rose and colleagues at the University of South Carolina, who compared the bite forces of nine different cat species, reveals that jaguars have three-quarters the bite force of tigers.
However, given that jaguars are considerably smaller (the body mass of the individual in the study was only half that of the tiger), relatively speaking their bite is stronger.
“If you had to choose, you’d want to be bitten by a jaguar, not a lion or a tiger. But pound for pound, jaguars pack a stronger punch,” says Adam. “The strength of the jaguar’s bite is due to the arrangement of its jaw muscles, which, relative to weight, are slightly stronger than those of other cats. In addition – also relative to weight – its jaws are slightly shorter, which increases the leverage for biting.”

It would be great to see measurements of bite force of the biggest Jaguars from Pantanal in Brazil and from the Venezuelan Llanos.

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - Pckts - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 05:59 AM)epaiva Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 01:42 AM)Pckts Wrote: Jaguar's jaw muscles used to generate power a long with their skulls are much smaller which means they aren't able to generate the same power as the big boys, but they do have the highest lb for lb bite force of any big cat.

It would be great to see measurements of bite force of the biggest Jaguars from Pantanal in Brazil and from the Venezuelan Llanos.

Absolutely, I'd also love to see skulls from Tigers in Kanha and Kaziranga measured and Lions from Ngorongoro as well.

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - Apollo - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 01:30 AM)epaiva Wrote:
(01-14-2017, 01:50 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Apollo

About #52: with the detailed link you downloaded, here are the big cats' bite forces.

By decreasing order:

1) Tiger                   1234,3 N
2) Lion                    1198,6 N
3)Jaguar                   879.5 N
4)Leopard                 558,6 N
5) Puma                   499,6 N
6) Snow leopard        363 N
7) Clouded leopard     344,2N
I am sure that Jaguars bite much harder than what you see ranked here  because they are the only Big Cats that destroy the Skulls of the biggest  prey and destroy carapaces of even the Biggest Sea Turtles.

As per the study the bite force of the tiger involves several subspecies.
If we were to consider only the bigger subspecies Bengals and Siberians.
I would presume the biteforce results would be higher.

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - paul cooper - 09-09-2017

(04-03-2017, 11:57 AM)Vinay Wrote:
(04-02-2017, 10:06 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: @Vinay why are you so disrespectful towards lions? You're really underestimating them. A male lion is just as tough as a male tiger..,I can't help for getting annoyed about seeing this from posters, that will disrespect L or T, then to praise the other., aswell as being rude towards other members.. Those two animals are in fact very equal.

I really hope that if you keep posting stuff like this, that moderators will ban you..

What?? 

9.African Lion   

15.Bengal Tiger 

I said many times Jaguar and Leopard are equal/same but many have problem with that too...

Edit(sanjay):
At the same weight the tiger has a higher bite force..

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - HyperNova - 09-09-2017

(04-03-2017, 11:57 AM)Vinay Wrote:

What?? 

9.African Lion   

15.Bengal Tiger 

Edit(sanjay):
Where does this come from? I remember seing this on a random website that didn't have anything scientific. Regardless is psi even a good measurement for that? It's a measure of pressure, force is measured in newton.

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - parvez - 11-27-2017

When i went to kaziranga, one of the guards of the hotels there told me that once a single horned rhino attacked a forest guard. He bite the forest guard in such a way that his skull was broken and the blood oozed out as if the skin has been blasted and the blood oozed with speed. One must only imagine the bite force of one horned rhino which if measured i think surely will be one among the top 5 IMO.

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - AlexE - 01-21-2018

Animals with the largest skulls and jaws.
Crocodile hippo rhino

RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - brotherbear - 01-25-2018

Bite Force: 
*This image is copyright of its original author

http://listverse.com/2012/11/05/top-10-animal-bites-that-will-completely-destroy-you/  

Lion - 600 psi 

Tiger - 1050 psi 

Spotted Hyena - 1100 psi 

Grizzly - 1200 psi  

Gorilla - 1300 psi  

Hippopotamus - 1821 psi  

Jaguar - 2000 psi  

American Alligator - 2125 psi

Saltwater Crocodile - 3700 psi 

Nile Crocodile - 5000 psi

http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/9333832/1/