WildFact
Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Leopard (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-leopard)
+----- Thread: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards (/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-of-leopards)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - GuateGojira - 10-13-2020

(10-12-2020, 10:48 PM)Styx38 Wrote: What do you think is the minimum size required for a Leopard to take on a Gorilla?

Do you think the large males of Kruger and Sabi Sands may be able to take on Silverback?

You question is interesting, but I think that will be important to ask what type of gorilla is involved.

Recently I made a new comparative image of the body size of the two species of gorillla and there is some differences on the dimentions, check this:

*This image is copyright of its original author

So, if the leopard attack the smallest species it will had more advantage than if it attack the biggest one.

Some time ago I also created a comparative image of the large carnivores of India, here you can check the body size of an average sized Indian leopard:

I guess that the diference in size between the African and the India leopard is not too much, so you can use it as surrogate and get an idea of the size between these two species (predatos and prey) and try to get a conclution.

Greetings.

RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Styx38 - 10-13-2020

@GuateGojira

Wow.

Great images.

Nice to see that Eastern Lowland Gorilla are the heaviest.

Are they really that tall?

Anyway, my main question is that what would be a minimum weight for a Leopard to take on an adult Gorilla?

Would the the Leopard be at least 70 kg?

I am assuming the Leopards that are bold and/or strong enough to at least attempt predation on adult Gorillas must be the large 70-80 kg males, 80+ kg or the rare 90+ kg Leopards.

RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Styx38 - 10-17-2020

The Leopard weights in Kavango West have the highest weights based on trophy records in Namibia.

"The average weight recorded of the leopard in each region ranged from 65 kg in Kavango West "

There was also a 95 kg specimen from either that region or the Khomas Region.

source:

THE NAMIBIAN LEOPARD:
NATIONAL CENSUS AND
SUSTAINABLE HUNTING PRACTICES (2019)

by Dr. Louisa Richmond-Coggan

RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Styx38 - 10-17-2020

Leopards in Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana, average around 70 kg.

RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Luipaard - 10-24-2020

(translocated) South African leopards from the Majete Wildlife Reserve, Malawi

Source: Ecology of three apex predators in Majete Wildlife Reserve, Malawi

Namibian leopards

Source: A home away from home: insights from successful leopard (Panthera pardus) translocations

Botswana leopards from the Central Kalahari Game Reserve

Source: Is translocation of stock-raiding leopards into a protected area with resident conspecifics an effective management tool?

RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Styx38 - 10-24-2020

@Luipaard

So Namibian Leopards range in size that much?

We have small to mediocre sized Leopards.

We have 60-80 kg Leopards in Na'an Kuse and Okonijima.

We also have two different 90+ kg Leopards.

There was a 96 kg(?) specimen from Valencia, and there was also a 95 kg Leopard from Khomas as recently as 2017.

RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Luipaard - 10-26-2020

(10-24-2020, 05:37 AM)Styx38 Wrote: @Luipaard

There was a 96 kg(?) specimen from Valencia, and there was also a 95 kg Leopard from Khomas as recently as 2017.

Namibian leopards vary in size regionally (like most leopard populations); they're bigger where the density is highest, which is Central Namibia. The 96kg male also originated from this region. 

Could you share the 95kg male from Khomas Highland? I'm not aware of this one. I do know male leopards in particular from this area are sometimes known as problematic animals as they can become cattle killers. It's the main reason they're being hunted over there. The reported 108kg male I posted before was also from the Khomas Highland region.

Quote:Leopards in Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana, average around 70 kg.

This 76kg male was also from the Tuli Predator Project (from page 1):

"Here's a general summary of this project: Aspects of the ecology of leopards (Panthera pardus) in the Northern Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana

I do know that a particularly big male captured by this project was weighed at 76kg, again can't find the original webpage but that's what I have noted down. This male, named Skebengwa, unfortunately died after a fairly minor wound got very badly infected. You can read about him here: Tribute to a King

Another photo of "Skebengwa", looks like a short chunky male."

RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Styx38 - 10-26-2020

@Luipaard

The 95 kg specimen was reported here:

"The highest weight of a hunted leopard was recorded in the Khomas region on a freehold farm at 95 kg (2017)"

THE NAMIBIAN LEOPARD:
NATIONAL CENSUS AND
SUSTAINABLE HUNTING PRACTICES (2019)

by Dr. Louisa Richmond-Coggan

The 95 kg Leopard was shot in the Khomas region as recently as 2017. 

How long back was the previous 96 kg Leopard reported?

RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Pckts - 10-26-2020

(10-26-2020, 03:42 PM)Luipaard Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 05:37 AM)Styx38 Wrote: @Luipaard

Namibian leopards vary in size regionally (like most leopard populations); they're bigger where the density is highest, which is Central Namibia. The 96kg male also originated from this region. 

Could you share the 95kg male from Khomas Highland? I'm not aware of this one. I do know male leopards in particular from this area are sometimes known as problematic animals as they can become cattle killers. It's the main reason they're being hunted over there. The reported 108kg male I posted before was also from the Khomas Highland region.

Quote:Leopards in Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana, average around 70 kg.

This 76kg male was also from the Tuli Predator Project (from page 1):

"Here's a general summary of this project: Aspects of the ecology of leopards (Panthera pardus) in the Northern Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana

I do know that a particularly big male captured by this project was weighed at 76kg, again can't find the original webpage but that's what I have noted down. This male, named Skebengwa, unfortunately died after a fairly minor wound got very badly infected. You can read about him here: Tribute to a King

Another photo of "Skebengwa", looks like a short chunky male."

Do you have the remaining article for the measurements of the 76kg Male?