WildFact
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers (/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers)

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 07:17 PM)Kk LonePredator Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 07:03 PM)Pckts Wrote: Here is a comparable male in all departments

*This image is copyright of its original author

213cm in HBL but taken over curves so around 208cm in a straight line.
His chest girth is 140cm *4 cm* larger than Wagdoh 

Shoulder height unknown but it’s safe to say it’s going to be at least as tall as Wagdoh since he wasn’t a very tall Tiger.

This males weight was 546lbs or 247 kgs.

213cm over the curves would mean 200-203 cm in straight which totally adds up with the weight of 247kg.

And like I have already stated, chest girth does not correlate with weight as much as bodylength does and also the fact that Wagdoh was so old his chest girth would have shrunk due to old age.

No it wouldn’t, generally you’ll see anywhere from 2-4” difference between the two. So assuming they both are fairly close in length, Wagdoh is outsized in chest and most likely shoulder. And Branders 600lb Tiger significantly outsized him in every department 

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - abhisingh7 - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 07:22 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 07:17 PM)Kk LonePredator Wrote:

Shoulder height unknown but it’s safe to say it’s going to be at least as tall as Wagdoh since he wasn’t a very tall Tiger.

213cm over the curves would mean 200-203 cm in straight which totally adds up with the weight of 247kg.

And like I have already stated, chest girth does not correlate with weight as much as bodylength does and also the fact that Wagdoh was so old his chest girth would have shrunk due to old age.

No it wouldn’t, generally you’ll see anywhere from 2-4” difference between the two. So assuming they both are fairly close in length, Wagdoh is outsized in chest and most likely shoulder. And Branders 600lb Tiger significantly outsized him in every department 

bro brander didn't weighted this giant although , he had estimated it no less than 600lbs roughly .

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - LonePredator - 10-07-2022

Completely wrong. The straight bodylength is about 0.94-0.955 times the curved bodylength. Your method of ‘subtracting’ 2-4 inches is invalid because the bigger the Tiger, the more you’ll have to subtract and the smaller the Tiger, the less.

Maźak even suggests subtracting 20cm (8 inches) for the largest Tigers so your method of subtracting 2-4 inches is completely wrong.

And even if you subtract 4 inches since this was a large Tiger, it would still mean 203cm in straight line so where did you pull out 208cm from??

And I am saying this the 17th time, chest girth does not have a good enough correlation between with weight and neither does height and Wagdoh was so old his chest would have shrunk anyway.

And the Brander example is invalid since that Tiger was never weighed on a scale.

(10-07-2022, 07:30 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

bro brander didn't weighted this giant although , he had estimated it no less than 600lbs roughly .

Not “no less” but “was about”

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Orpadan - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 06:51 PM)LonePredator Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 06:26 PM)Orpadan Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 05:51 PM)LonePredator Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 05:24 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: Very interesting, now finally we have actual measurments of Wagdoh. the interesting here is the weight, as far as I know dead and bloated animals are not heavier they just look that way. So it won’t affect the weight, but it can however affect the measurments….  

Since the measurments does not suggest a 270 kg cat especially one that old. Does it even say 270 kg? I first read 240 kg, then 210 kg… I those who say it’s 270 kg, but is that 100% certain?  if that is the case he probably had a lot of fat on him. Still a very impressive male. 
I think we just need to get more info on this before we conclude with anything.

The measurements make sense for that weight. A Tiger with 208cm head body length in straight line can surpass 280kg. And yes, 270kg is confirmed. Khan85 has confirmed it from the official who sent him this document.

And bloating can’t really affect the bodylength by more than 1cm and the bodylength is the key here. And Wagdoh was not excessively fat either. He had normal levels of bodyfat.

In the video below, you can see that his carcass doesn’t look particularly fat. In fact, looks quite normal.

https://youtu.be/4MsNA8GofLA

The bloating thing doesn't really affect the body length you're right. but We need to also make it clear what protocols were used for his body length measurments. But the chest measurment is affected by the bloating and puffiness though. His normal chest would have been about 130cm. In the paper they do lebel him as fat. Also Khan85 needs to directly ask them again and send a ss here so we can be sure what number they actually wrote...was it 210? 240? 270?.

Where does the document say that he was fat? All I can see in the document is that his carcass was putrefactioned and bloated due to the process of decomposition. We must point out that there’s a big difference between swelling due to putrefaction and being straight up ‘fat’.

As for his chest girth, chest girth alone without bodylength is not the best way to estimate weight. Bodylength has better correlation with weight and also, he was so old that his chest girth likely would’ve shrunk due to old age. We should focus more on bodylength than chest girth.

And I also sent you a video of his carcass on the day of his death. You can see in that video that he was not fat at all. Please see that also.

And I think he was measured in straight line because that is the only method that makes sense. If he was measured over the curves then his straight length would be about 197cm which does not add up with his weight.

208cm in straight line makes perfect sense since he weighed 270kg. And in his prime, he would’ve weighed even more.

it clearly indicates that he was fat in the paper.

(10-07-2022, 07:52 PM)Orpadan Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 05:24 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: Very interesting, now finally we have actual measurments of Wagdoh. the interesting here is the weight, as far as I know dead and bloated animals are not heavier they just look that way. So it won’t affect the weight, but it can however affect the measurments….  

Since the measurments does not suggest a 270 kg cat especially one that old. Does it even say 270 kg? I first read 240 kg, then 210 kg… I those who say it’s 270 kg, but is that 100% certain?  if that is the case he probably had a lot of fat on him. Still a very impressive male. 

The measurements make sense for that weight. A Tiger with 208cm head body length in straight line can surpass 280kg. And yes, 270kg is confirmed. Khan85 has confirmed it from the official who sent him this document.

And bloating can’t really affect the bodylength by more than 1cm and the bodylength is the key here. And Wagdoh was not excessively fat either. He had normal levels of bodyfat.

In the video below, you can see that his carcass doesn’t look particularly fat. In fact, looks quite normal.

The bloating thing doesn't really affect the body length you're right. but We need to also make it clear what protocols were used for his body length measurments. But the chest measurment is affected by the bloating and puffiness though. His normal chest would have been about 130cm. In the paper they do lebel him as fat. Also Khan85 needs to directly ask them again and send a ss here so we can be sure what number they actually wrote...was it 210? 240? 270?.

Where does the document say that he was fat? All I can see in the document is that his carcass was putrefactioned and bloated due to the process of decomposition. We must point out that there’s a big difference between swelling due to putrefaction and being straight up ‘fat’.

As for his chest girth, chest girth alone without bodylength is not the best way to estimate weight. Bodylength has better correlation with weight and also, he was so old that his chest girth likely would’ve shrunk due to old age. We should focus more on bodylength than chest girth.

And I also sent you a video of his carcass on the day of his death. You can see in that video that he was not fat at all. Please see that also.

And I think he was measured in straight line because that is the only method that makes sense. If he was measured over the curves then his straight length would be about 197cm which does not add up with his weight.

208cm in straight line makes perfect sense since he weighed 270kg. And in his prime, he would’ve weighed even more.

Why do you not see the video I sent you? That video was probably taken on the same day when Wagdoh was weighed or at least around the same time. You can clearly see Wagdoh’s body from all angles in that video.

He does not look fat in the clip. He’s normal and you can clearly see that in the video but you keep ignoring that part. Please check that for once as well.

And ‘fat’ can also mean bulky. He was still fairly bulky especially for a Tiger his age. And he also looked puffed up from the decomposition which also may have caused him to look bulky (‘fat’).

(10-07-2022, 07:52 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Still the fact is that this Tiger was never weighed on a scale. You can’t use this to prove anything in this case.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Orpadan - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 07:58 PM)LonePredator Wrote:

Why do you not see the video I sent you? That video was probably taken on the same day when Wagdoh was weighed or at least around the same time. You can clearly see Wagdoh’s body from all angles in that video.

He does not look fat in the clip. He’s normal and you can clearly see that in the video but you keep ignoring that part. Please check that for once as well.

And ‘fat’ can also mean bulky. He was still fairly bulky especially for a Tiger his age. And he also looked puffed up from the decomposition which also may have caused him to look bulky (‘fat’).

So your pretty much telling me to be an expert when the experts themselves have clearly labelled him as fat.

yes bro he roughly estimated about 600lbs , but bro it was 221cm between pegs and had height of 43inh or 109cm and girth of 150cm , it will be a lot more than 600lbs , something like 630-650lbs . we had seen measurements of star male , sauraha etc .

(10-07-2022, 07:37 PM)LonePredator Wrote:

Completely wrong. The straight bodylength is about 0.94-0.955 times the curved bodylength. Your method of ‘subtracting’ 2-4 inches is invalid because the bigger the Tiger, the more you’ll have to subtract and the smaller the Tiger, the less.

Maźak even suggests subtracting 20cm (8 inches) for the largest Tigers so your method of subtracting 2-4 inches is completely wrong.

And even if you subtract 4 inches since this was a large Tiger, it would still mean 203cm in straight line so where did you pull out 208cm from??

And I am saying this the 17th time, chest girth does not have a good enough correlation between with weight and neither does height and Wagdoh was so old his chest would have shrunk anyway.

And the Brander example is invalid since that Tiger was never weighed on a scale.

First off, no two people measure the same which is why you can have different results from the same Tiger depending on who took them. So it doesn’t matter how long or short a Tiger is if the protocol of between the pegs or over the curves is different.

Next is that generally speaking the differences between the two is going to be in the range I specified. What Mazak quoted is too much unless the cat has extreme curvatures or the person taking the measurements is doing it “wrong.” Brander specifically mentions 3-5” for his cats. And this includes the tail which is 1/3 the length of the total body.

And who is saying to take off 4”, certainly not me. Like i said, generally it’s between 2-4” so they’ll be “around” the same length but that male with have a larger chest. So assuming his height is at least as tall he by all accounts will be within the same range as Wagdoh.

Chest girth is one factor, like weight, and height. All show decent correlations to total weight but none will point the whole picture.
Hence the shorter Tiger weighing more than the longer one with the same chest girth.

Lastly back to Brander, his weight estimate is far more valid than 99.9% of the people out there since he’s weighed and measured many cats who were fresh.

(10-07-2022, 08:04 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

yes bro he roughly estimated about 600lbs , but bro it was 221cm between pegs and had height of 43inh or 109cm and girth of 150cm , it will be a lot more than 600lbs , something like 630-650lbs . we had seen measurements of star male , sauraha etc .
Star is over the curves and like I mentioned, that leaves far too much room for error especially when taken by vets who don’t necessarily follow the trophy hunting protocols nor put as much emphasis on it since it’s not important to them. You can almost guarantee Sauraha was full and also larger in the chest and most likely taller in the shoulder.
Brander killed and measured many, same with the other tables I’ve presented. A 600lb cat is very rare, if brander says he’s close to 600lbs that’s all you can go off of.

(10-07-2022, 08:04 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 07:37 PM)LonePredator Wrote:

First off, no two people measure the same which is why you can have different results from the same Tiger depending on who took them. So it doesn’t matter how long or short a Tiger is if the protocol of between the pegs or over the curves is different.

Next is that generally speaking the differences between the two is going to be in the range I specified. What Mazak quoted is too much unless the cat has extreme curvatures or the person taking the measurements is doing it “wrong.” Brander specifically mentions 3-5” for his cats. And this includes the tail which is 1/3 the length of the total body.

And who is saying to take off 4”, certainly not me. Like i said, generally it’s between 2-4” so they’ll be “around” the same length but that male with have a larger chest. So assuming his height is at least as tall he by all accounts will be within the same range as Wagdoh.

Chest girth is one factor, like weight, and height. All show decent correlations to total weight but none will point the whole picture.
Hence the shorter Tiger weighing more than the longer one with the same chest girth.

Lastly back to Brander, his weight estimate is far more valid than 99.9% of the people out there since he’s weighed and measured many cats who were fresh.

Wrong again and thanks for proving my point.

Brander suggests subtracting 3-5 inches. Doesn’t matter if it’s with tail or without tail because tail is ALWAYS measured in straight line even when the total length is measured over the curves because tails have no ‘curves’. 

So 3-5 inches is what you have to subtract from bodylength (excluding tail) as well.

And by this, we can understand that Brander tells us to subtract 3 inches for the small males and 5 inches for the large males and this 213cm male was large so we have to subtract 5 inches which gives us 200cm length in straight line.

And a 200cm Tiger in straight line weighed 247kg which makes total sense. This example of yours once again further proves my point.

(10-07-2022, 08:08 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Star is over the curves and like I mentioned, that leaves far too much room for error especially when taken by vets who don’t necessarily follow the trophy hunting protocols nor put as much emphasis on it since it’s not important to them. You can almost guarantee Sauraha was full and also larger in the chest and most likely taller in the shoulder.
Brander killed and measured many, same with the other tables I’ve presented. A 600lb cat is very rare, if brander says he’s close to 600lbs that’s all you can go off of.
 was brander tiger from madhya pradesh or mahrastra ?

(10-07-2022, 08:02 PM)Orpadan Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 07:58 PM)LonePredator Wrote:

So your pretty much telling me to be an expert when the experts themselves have clearly labelled him as fat.

No, I’m telling you to use your device, your eyes and a little bit of common sense.

You are on this forum discussing about these animals and somewhat contributing so I’m sure you must be smart enough to tell whether an animal is fat or not by looking at it from different angles. You are not even making a valid excuse here.

(10-07-2022, 08:15 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 08:08 PM)Pckts Wrote:

was brander tiger from madhya pradesh or mahrastra ?

I’m not sure, I’ll have to read through again. But i doubt it would matter, Pench for instance runs through both. It has more to do with the actual climate, forest type and prey density.