WildFact
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers (/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers)

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Charger01 - 09-15-2022

[attachment=8897]

[attachment=8898]

[attachment=8899]

[attachment=8901]

[attachment=8900]

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 09-15-2022

@"Khan85" 

back in the days when Jhumroo was treated. i asked tigerwalah if the weight was real. i was told that it was an estimate. who’s your source on whatsapp?

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 09-15-2022

(09-15-2022, 09:08 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: @"Khan85" 

back in the days when Jhumroo was treated. i asked tigerwalah if the weight was real. i was told that it was an estimate. who’s your source on whatsapp?

DO you know what access if any did Anurag Sharma from Tigerwalah have to the operation?

Khan's source was mentioned to be part of the team during capture.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 09-15-2022

i know he did all those ranthambore blogs but i’m not sure how connected he was with the team that worked with the tigers on the field. this was a while ago, i’m talking like 10 years back. 

i believe he was here momentarily 

https://wildfact.com/forum/user-tigerwalah

edit : just saw @"Khan85" PM, the source is good to go.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Jerricson - 09-19-2022

(09-06-2022, 09:26 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-06-2022, 07:25 PM)Jerricson Wrote: I messaged a WII researcher, who actively takes part in tiger collaring ,regarding the body mass of largest male and female he's come across . Unfortunately , regarding females , he didn't have much idea but for the male , this was what he said :

"I'll check records. As far as I remember , the largest male weighed 244 kg . He was darted on a kill in Maharashtra."

Any chance you can ask which reserve?
Sorry for the delay. The researcher was quite busy and he got back to me just yesterday . This was what he told : "I have been travelling for quite sometime . The male was from Umred Karhandla WLS"

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 09:57 AM)Jerricson Wrote:
(09-06-2022, 09:26 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-06-2022, 07:25 PM)Jerricson Wrote: I messaged a WII researcher, who actively takes part in tiger collaring ,regarding the body mass of largest male and female he's come across . Unfortunately , regarding females , he didn't have much idea but for the male , this was what he said :

"I'll check records. As far as I remember , the largest male weighed 244 kg . He was darted on a kill in Maharashtra."

Any chance you can ask which reserve?
Sorry for the delay. The researcher was quite busy and he got back to me just yesterday . This was what he told : "I have been travelling for quite sometime . The male was from Umred Karhandl
About the same size as Jai assuming that male had a full belly. Wonder if it was one of his sons.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 09-19-2022

it could be Jai and if this is after Jai. it is Jaichand. both Bittu and Srinavasa didn’t stick around much. however, both were weighed periodically. at 18 months of age, Bittu weighed 138kg and Srinavasa weighed 127kg. at roughly 3 years of age, they weighed 230kghttps://wildfact.com/forum/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers?page=8

post #116

the two tadoba males (Lakha is now missing) and Surya (son of Matkasur male and Maya) no studies have been done on both the males from my knowledge. the 244kg male seen on a kill is most likely from the Jai clan.

@Jerricson are you able to find the year? that could solve a lot of questions. knowing how small Umred is. it will be a no-brainer if we find out the exact year.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rage2277 - 09-19-2022

yea gotta be one of jai's boys wasn't jaichand collared at one point? @Roflcopters

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Charger01 - 09-19-2022

For anyone who needs this, here are all the male tigers collared in Maharashtra for a study from 2014-2019

[attachment=8936]

A small confusion is there regarding "Shivanzari M" as he could be same as one of the other tadoba tigers.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - abhisingh7 - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 09:40 PM)Khan85 Wrote: For anyone who needs this, here are all the male tigers collared in Maharashtra for a study from 2014-2019

A small confusion is there regarding "Shivanzari M" as he could be same as one of the other tadoba tigers.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/bor-tiger-reserves-dominant-male-bajirao-killed-in-hit-and-run-on-nh-6/articleshow/62300662.cms

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GreenForest - 09-20-2022

(09-19-2022, 06:51 PM)AristotelWAW Wrote: Just saw that information regarding T-20 / Jhumroo on a YouTube Community Tab. However in a other community tab this is the information that was posted.

*This image is copyright of its original author

This sounds right. As per the original report by tiger walah (2012), the tiger was swiftly tranquilized and moved to the safety of protected area. It is quite unlikely they would have measured the tiger after it woke up. It is possible 280kg is estimated weight by vets before tranquillisation. 

@"Khan85" Mate, you have to reveal the source from where you got it.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Charger01 - 09-20-2022

(09-19-2022, 06:51 PM)AristotelWAW Wrote: Just saw that information regarding T-20 / Jhumroo on a YouTube Community Tab. However in a other community tab this is the information that was posted.

Hello "old friend"

That definitely sounds like a secondary source not involved in the capture of Jhumroo. 

Communication mentioned earlier was with the leader of the team who rescued the tiger. 

Sorry but the this one isn't credible.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Charger01 - 09-20-2022

(09-20-2022, 12:02 AM)GreenForest Wrote:

This sounds right. As per the original report by tiger walah (2012), the tiger was swiftly tranquilized and moved to the safety of protected area. It is quite unlikely they would have measured the tiger after it woke up. It is possible 280kg is estimated weight by vets before tranquillisation. 

So you guys can spam him asking the same thing a 100 times?

Our chances of getting information about multiple other ranthambore tigers has already been ruined

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GreenForest - 09-20-2022

(09-20-2022, 12:04 AM)Khan85 Wrote:

Our chances of getting information about multiple other ranthambore tigers has already been ruined

What makes you to think so? We only care about authentic, reliable information. Cross verification, double checking is part of the process. You should not be worried that someone will ask your source again.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 09-20-2022

(09-20-2022, 12:04 AM)Khan85 Wrote:

His source is valid, there's no question. I'm not one to be easily convinced without verifiable proof.