WildFact
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers (/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers)

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 07-18-2022

(07-18-2022, 03:50 AM)Khan85 Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 03:21 AM)GreenForest Wrote:
(07-13-2022, 01:18 AM)Khan85 Wrote: Some large tigers of 21st century.

Wikipedia weights, newspaper weights are not reliable. Only peer reviewed, published weights are reliable. Other than nepal chitwan, panna, nagarhole tiger weights, others in your list are not reliable.

Verified by contacting vets/researchers/Forest Department people present on site so yes they are reliable. You want to believe it or not, that's up to you.

It’s always important to vet your sources. Hearing 2nd hand from a photographer or guide is very different from hearing first hand from the one involved with the actual procedure. Peer reviewed means little in this regard unless they actually participated in the capture and weighing. Almeida for instance is used in many peer reviewed studies but none were actually there during his hunts nor do they have any way to verify his captures outside of his own word. That being said, he went out of his way to provide an abundance of detail so he can be quoted for good reason. 

Khan also provided valid sources so most the weights mentions seem good to me.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - TemptingFate - 07-18-2022

(07-18-2022, 03:51 AM)Khan85 Wrote:
(07-15-2022, 09:57 AM)TemptingFate Wrote: It is fascinating to see what kind of weights tigers can reach. In the cat kingdom unrivaled (except the african lion, which have fairly comparable body masses). I can not judge the trustworthiness of all sources but even those that seem 100% confirmed are completely sufficient to be able to form a judgment what the maximum is and where it begins to become extraordinary. The others support the thesis in this case.

But I would also be interested in the weights of the female tigers. As far as I know, males are 40-50% heavier than females. Hence, I would estimate the maximum of the female tigers at 165-185 kg.

Ikr. Tigers truly are the largest cats!  Grin Grin Grin

You probably didn't fully understand the point GreenForest was making. There are many who only accept data from peer-reviewed articles and for good reason (Or it is their protocol... so they do not have to fear wrongly appearing selectivism). There are also people who do not accept personal communications, also for understandable reasons. GreenForest is not an unusual case. Whether I hold the same opinion or not is irrelevant in this specific situation.

I was able to find out that one of the males you mentioned have not been weighed at all (Booklet on Tiger Body Growth 2021, p.5, Panna Tiger Reserve). It was the male tiger (T) with the Identification number 3.  It is the paper that was mentioned by the user GuateGojira very recently.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - TemptingFate - 07-18-2022

(07-18-2022, 04:54 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Wikipedia weights, newspaper weights are not reliable. Only peer reviewed, published weights are reliable. Other than nepal chitwan, panna, nagarhole tiger weights, others in your list are not reliable.

Verified by contacting vets/researchers/Forest Department people present on site so yes they are reliable. You want to believe it or not, that's up to you.

It’s always important to vet your sources. Hearing 2nd hand from a photographer or guide is very different from hearing first hand from the one involved with the actual procedure. Peer reviewed means little in this regard unless they actually participated in the capture and weighing. Almeida for instance is used in many peer reviewed studies but none were actually there during his hunts nor do they have any way to verify his captures outside of his own word. That being said, he went out of his way to provide an abundance of detail so he can be quoted for good reason. 

Understandable.

However, this is a bit complicated. I have communicated with many people who have quoted personal communications to me. This is difficult with hunting records. If scientists/officials communicate with each other and quote each other, there will normally be no problems. And this is also true when using them. The reason why personal communications are also used and quoted in peer-reviewed papers.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - strongmanw7 - 07-18-2022

Verified by contacting vets/researchers/Forest Department people present on site so yes they are reliable. You want to believe it or not, that's up to you. how would ramsay tiger would look like .from its measurements how much it would weigh https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCX_JPM69W_ByjKAfK5qxBQ/community?lb=Ugkx_6ppUHx2plywQaOX8HCmdzmeloLjeVWz

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GreenForest - 07-18-2022

We know for sure some of these tigers were weighed and reliable. But for others, you have to provide sources from where you get this. So that others can cross verify that. I am fairly certain that T24 weight from wikipedia is false. Yet, some people continue to use false weights. Few other weights are based on guesswork. Onus is upon you for the sake of truthfulness and clarity.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - LonePredator - 07-18-2022

(07-18-2022, 02:31 PM)GreenForest Wrote:

We know for sure some of these tigers were weighed and reliable. But for others, you have to provide sources from where you get this. So that others can cross verify that. I am fairly certain that T24 weight from wikipedia is false. Yet, some people continue to use false weights. Few other weights are based on guesswork. Onus is upon you for the sake of truthfulness and clarity.

What's reliable and what's not can be very subjective at times. Why would you have a problem if two parallel records are compiled with one being strict and the other being linient?

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - strongmanw7 - 07-18-2022

(07-18-2022, 02:31 PM)GreenForest Wrote:

We know for sure some of these tigers were weighed and reliable. But for others, you have to provide sources from where you get this. So that others can cross verify that. I am fairly certain that T24 weight from wikipedia is false. Yet, some people continue to use false weights. Few other weights are based on guesswork. Onus is upon you for the sake of truthfulness and clarity. see ustaad next to 6ft door , he is very tall and big frame male tiger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnxMUU7324E visit the link .258 kg is mentioned by a photographer who followed ustaad during his last capture . he is sure that heavy and he was also weight 240kg at age 3.5. 

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - abhisingh7 - 07-21-2022

Khan also provided valid sources so most the weights mentions seem good to me. this dudhwa male must have been weighted too .

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 07-21-2022

Quote:We know for sure some of these tigers were weighed and reliable. But for others, you have to provide sources from where you get this. So that others can cross verify that. I am fairly certain that T24 weight from wikipedia is false. Yet, some people continue to use false weights. Few other weights are based on guesswork. Onus is upon you for the sake of truthfulness and clarity.

I never knew T24 had a page dedicated to him on wikipedia so i went and looked. how is it false? Ustaad weighed 240kg as a 3.5 year old male in 2009. are you telling me, the same male can’t reach 18 kilograms during his prime age. 

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GreenForest - 07-22-2022

(07-21-2022, 10:51 PM)Roflcopters Wrote:
Quote:We know for sure some of these tigers were weighed and reliable. But for others, you have to provide sources from where you get this. So that others can cross verify that. I am fairly certain that T24 weight from wikipedia is false. Yet, some people continue to use false weights. Few other weights are based on guesswork. Onus is upon you for the sake of truthfulness and clarity.

I never knew T24 had a page dedicated to him on wikipedia so i went and looked. how is it false? Ustaad weighed 240kg as a 3.5 year old male in 2009. are you telling me, the same male can’t reach 18 kilograms during his prime age. 

The 258kg weight was reported by a photographer. Someone added that to wikipedia. That is no credible source to confirm the weight as legit. Even 240kg weight was not adjusted for stomach food. T24 had constipation problem, treated many times for that. At the time of shifting, local newspaper reported his weight as 215kg. Check the first page of this thread.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - abhisingh7 - 07-22-2022

(07-22-2022, 01:09 AM)GreenForest Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 10:51 PM)Roflcopters Wrote:

The 258kg weight was reported by a photographer. Someone added that to wikipedia. That is no credible source to confirm the weight as legit. Even 240kg weight was not adjusted for stomach food. T24 had constipation problem, treated many times for that. At the time of shifting, local newspaper reported his weight as 215kg. Check the first page of this thread.

its written more than 215 in this local (not exactly 215) in small grade newspaper , while written 250 in india's leading newspaper  https://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/big-picture-the-fate-debate-of-ranthambore-tiger-ustad-aka-t24/

(07-21-2022, 12:02 AM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

Khan also provided valid sources so most the weights mentions seem good to me. this dudhwa male must have been weighted
this dudhwa male skull looked very big .

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 07-22-2022

Quote:The 258kg weight was reported by a photographer. Someone added that to wikipedia. That is no credible source to confirm the weight as legit.

pretty sure the photographer went and interviewed park officials that were involved in the whole T24/Zoo drama. read the original press-release, each person interviewed narrated their version of who T24/Ustad really was and his struggles. 

Y K Sahoo (Field director and chief conservator of forest)
Sudarshan Sharma (Deputy field director who oversaw T24/Ustaad’s relocation to Sajjangarh park)
R N Mehrotra (former chief wildlife warden)
R K Tyagi (former chief wildlife warden)

Quote:Even 240kg weight was not adjusted for stomach food.

I don’t really follow the stomach content arguments, i find it pretty irrelevant. a tiger that just had a meal or baited will weigh more than he would on an empty stomach. it’s pretty damn obvious, unless you know for sure. it’s not worthy of a discussion. 

Quote:At the time of shifting, local newspaper reported his weight as 215kg. Check the first page of this thread.

check your own reference from the same page. post #6 
newspaper states that T24 weighed more than 215kg when he was brought to the zoo. no definite number was provided. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

this news article was either from Dec/6/2015 or Dec/7/2015 

if you think something is false, bring enough proof to support your argument. contact the forest department maybe. only reason i took this debate was because i knew of another male that was relocated from Ranthambore to Sariska in 2008 and as a young male, he weighed 220kg. weights of 220-250kg+ aren’t uncommon from this area.

(07-22-2022, 12:09 PM)Roflcopters Wrote:
Quote:The 258kg weight was reported by a photographer. Someone added that to wikipedia. That is no credible source to confirm the weight as legit.

pretty sure the photographer went and interviewed park officials that were involved in the whole T24/Zoo drama. read the original press-release, each person interviewed narrated their version of who T24/Ustad really was and his struggles. 

Y K Sahoo (Field director and chief conservator of forest)
Sudarshan Sharma (Deputy field director who oversaw T24/Ustaad’s relocation to Sajjangarh park)
R N Mehrotra (former chief wildlife warden)
R K Tyagi (former chief wildlife warden)

Quote:Even 240kg weight was not adjusted for stomach food.

I don’t really follow the stomach content arguments, i find it pretty irrelevant. a tiger that just had a meal or baited will weigh more than he would on an empty stomach. it’s pretty damn obvious, unless you know for sure. it’s not worthy of a discussion. 

Quote:At the time of shifting, local newspaper reported his weight as 215kg. Check the first page of this thread.

check your own reference from the same page. post #6 
newspaper states that T24 weighed more than 215kg when he was brought to the zoo. no definite number was provided. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

this news article was either from Dec/6/2015 or Dec/7/2015 

if you think something is false, bring enough proof to support your argument. contact the forest department maybe. only reason i took this debate was because i knew of another male that was relocated from Ranthambore to Sariska in 2008 and as a young male, he weighed 220kg. weights of 220-250kg+ aren’t uncommon from this area.
also ustaad bigger than 243kg t98 aka mt3 which was translocated to mukundra .https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/mt-3-had-lost-51kg-in-5-mths-turned-anaemic/articleshow/77158969.cms . some of these guys are just trolls , they just say childish things for fun and trolling and to win silly debates (L vs T).

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 07-22-2022

@abhisingh7 

that’s thunder male of Dudhwa, last year when he was found with a snare around his neck. he was captured by the forest department and the snare was removed from his neck.