WildFact
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers (/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers)

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rishi - 06-07-2020

*This image is copyright of its original author

The 5-year-old, 180kg male ‘nomad’ tiger from Maharashtra, which made headlines in 2018 for the longest dispersal in the quickest time in the country, will have to spend the rest of its life behind bars for 3 human kills. 
Officers say the tiger was given enough chances to survive in the wild but it kept straying into human habitation. The authorities declared it ‘dangerous’ to human life in compliance with 2019 NTCA guidelines and decided to keep it in an enclosure.

He had wandered 510km from Chandrapur in Maharashtra to Palaspani in MP’s Betul — killing 2 people on the way — in search of new territory between August and December 2018. It was captured by Satpura Tiger Reserve officials from near a fly-ash pond in Sarni area on December 10, 2018 after another human casualty. Then he was shifted to Kanha where it was kept in a semi-wild enclosure for around 45 days, in order to acclimatise it with natural prey. It was permanently shifted to Van Vihar in Bhopal on Saturday.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/bhopal/roaming-tiger-gets-life-term-for-3-human-kills/amp_articleshow/76239392.cms

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Ashutosh - 06-07-2020

Weights of these specimens really tell you the average tiger weights of a tiger holding onto a territory in it’s landscape. Now, this 180 kilo tiger was clearly too small to establish a territory and protect it giving an indication as to the average weight of territory holding tigers to be above 200 kilos at the very least with some big males being considerably large.

The thing is, you see a few of the weights of the transient tigers who can’t establish their ranges and are found prowling the fringes of forests of Terai, and they are closer to 200 kilos, one even weighed 210 kilos from 2012. That kind of proves the average weight of males in Terai to be more than Central India (I mean we know that’s the case from pictures and weights as well) and more by some margin as well, maybe 20-25 kilos more on average with some absolutely exceptional specimens.

Similar to Central India, tigers from Western ghats who are prowling on the edges of the forest, lifting cattle and searching for territory from around Bandipur-Nagarhole also weigh around 170-190 kilos reflecting the average weight in those landscapes to be about 200 kilos.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rishi - 06-07-2020

(06-07-2020, 03:03 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Weights of these specimens really tell you the average tiger weights of a tiger holding onto a territory in it’s landscape. Now, this 180 kilo tiger was clearly too small to establish a territory and protect it giving an indication as to the average weight of territory holding tigers to be above 200 kilos at the very least with some big males being considerably large.

The thing is, you see a few of the weights of the transient tigers who can’t establish their ranges and are found prowling the fringes of forests of Terai, and they are closer to 200 kilos, one even weighed 210 kilos from 2012. That kind of proves the average weight of males in Terai to be more than Central India (I mean we know that’s the case from pictures and weights as well) and more by some margin as well, maybe 20-25 kilos more on average with some absolutely exceptional specimens.

Similar to Central India, tigers from Western ghats who are prowling on the edges of the forest, lifting cattle and searching for territory from around Bandipur-Nagarhole also weigh around 170-190 kilos reflecting the average weight in those landscapes to be about 200 kilos.

Dude. I made a post exactly like this years ago!
Same thing occured to me after the 220kg transient showed up at West Bengal in 2018... that if he was ousted so bad that he just migrated away, it would mean 220kg is not enough for that whole metapopulation. In such way, weight of these captured & conflict tigers can be used to estimate the weight of a region's resident tigers that drove them out. 

This felt like read I was reading my own post.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 06-18-2020

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GuateGojira - 06-27-2020

(06-18-2020, 06:48 AM)Pckts Wrote:

C. A. W. Guggisberg - Wild Cats of the World - 1975.

I litterally got this book for these pages and those in the chapter of the lion, jaguar and leopard. Good source of information, although some of them is now outdated.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Dark Jaguar - 06-28-2020

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Ashutosh - 07-25-2020

A couple of days ago, a tiger coded MT3 died within the Mukundra Tiger Reserve. It had an enlarged heart and clots were found in it’s heart as well. This tiger was 4.5 years old.

During the postmortem, it was revealed there were lumps of fat within the blood in the heart. The lump was almost the size of a closed fist, may be weighing between 50 and 100 grams, and the lungs were oozing out fluid mixed with pus, the CCF said, adding there was also huge amounts of fat in layers, deposited in the body.”

This tiger had been treated in early March for maggots on his face as a wound had turned septic and his tongue couldn’t reach his facial injuries to heal himself (this is NTCA protocol). At the time of his treatment, he weighed in at 243 kilos.

Today, the results of his autopsy have been revealed and data from his radio-collar suggests that he lost 51 kilos in last 5 months!

Some wildlife enthusiasts say that better management could have saved it’s life. Personally, I think they are being harsh and not letting nature take it’s course. I am guessing this has more to do with Mukundra losing a tiger.

@Rishi.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/mt-3-had-lost-51kg-in-5-mths-turned-anaemic/articleshow/77158969.cms

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 07-25-2020

(07-25-2020, 02:50 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: A couple of days ago, a tiger coded MT3 died within the Mukundra Tiger Reserve. It had an enlarged heart and clots were found in it’s heart as well. This tiger was 4.5 years old.

During the postmortem, it was revealed there were lumps of fat within the blood in the heart. The lump was almost the size of a closed fist, may be weighing between 50 and 100 grams, and the lungs were oozing out fluid mixed with pus, the CCF said, adding there was also huge amounts of fat in layers, deposited in the body.”

This tiger had been treated in early March for maggots on his face as a wound had turned septic and his tongue couldn’t reach his facial injuries to heal himself (this is NTCA protocol). At the time of his treatment, he weighed in at 243 kilos.

Today, the results of his autopsy have been revealed and data from his radio-collar suggests that he lost 51 kilos in last 5 months!

Some wildlife enthusiasts say that better management could have saved it’s life. Personally, I think they are being harsh and not letting nature take it’s course. I am guessing this has more to do with Mukundra losing a tiger.

@Rishi.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/mt-3-had-lost-51kg-in-5-mths-turned-anaemic/articleshow/77158969.cms

He must of been completely full bellied because he didn't look near that size when he died. Even with his illness, his body wasn't completely emaciated. 190kg seems much more reasonable for him than 240kg if I being honest.

No, @Pckts. When he died he weighed 192 kilos. And, there was barely any stomach content. The 243 kilos weight is from March when he was taken by the department to treat for maggots. They weighed him then, and put on a fresh collar. Since March, he had lost 51 kilos. Plus, no tiger has stomach contents of 50 kilos! That is a ridiculous amount of food.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rishi - 07-25-2020

(07-25-2020, 03:08 PM)Pckts Wrote: He must of been completely full bellied because he didn't look near that size when he died. Even with his illness, his body wasn't completely emaciated. 190kg seems much more reasonable for him than 240kg if I being honest.

Quite tall but doesn't seem a 500lb+ class indeed... But after that Lalgarh tiger turned out 220kg (looked 180kg max) I've given up making guesses. With wild tigers looks can be are wildly deceptive & you can confidently expect 80-90% of our weight estimates to be incorrect.

(07-25-2020, 02:50 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: This tiger had been treated in early March for maggots on his face as a wound had turned septic and his tongue couldn’t reach his facial injuries to heal himself (this is NTCA protocol). At the time of his treatment, he weighed in at 243 kilos.

Thanks, I tried to find for his weight, after seeing pictures of his body being weight but had no luck.

This maggot incident I posted about a earlier. Tigress MT-4 aka Lightening gave him some serious wounds that got infected... but this time it appears to be a very slow & painful death over weeks. Although I doubt the weight loss happened over 5 months but weeks. Cronic lung infection apparently, noone could tell from symptoms until it got into terminal stages.

RIP

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Bitishannah - 07-25-2020

Tiger fights are indeed gruesome. RIP dear tiger.

@Rishi, it goes the other way as well with wild tigers. Like, anyone who saw Jai would never have guessed his weight below 220 kilos. Everyone expected 250+ because he was very tall.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rage2277 - 07-25-2020

t98 had on more bulk in the vid of him and alphonso t91

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 07-25-2020

I'm curious as to who weighed  him the first time with the alleged 243kg.
Because he was weighed now and was 192kg and looking at him there I really don't see how he can add another 51kg's to his body.

@Pckts, Here is an article from early March about the surgery performed on him in the field itself. It was a 90 minute operation and they extricated more than a dozen maggots.

https://www.bhaskar.com/rajasthan/kota/news/tiger-mt-3-health-condition-latest-news-and-updates-on-kota-mukundra-hills-tiger-reserve-126955800.html

The article is in Hindi. But, they most certainly would have weighed him as there would be too much risk of administering continuous anaesthesia for a surgery without weighing him first. It would be too much of a risk. The article has a photo of the operation.

@Rage2277, very true. He outsized T91 by a decent margin in that video.