WildFact
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers (/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers)

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - BorneanTiger - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 05:47 PM)Hello Wrote: Uma seems to be a huge framed cat for 300 kgs.His weight looks normal here

300 kg (660 lbs)?

This was one of the heaviest Bengal tigers captured by Mel Sunquist and Eric Dinerstein, and it was weighed at approximately 260 kg (573 lbs) on an empty stomach, so for this tiger to weigh 300 kg (660 lbs) seems odd: (Raúl Valvert)
https://www.scribd.com/document/55287778/BodyMass-BengalTiger-2015
[attachment=3364]

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 01-20-2020

Uma has never been weighed, the best you can do is gauge him off a tiger who has been.

Below is Uma vs M2

M2 measurements are

*This image is copyright of its original author

And here is Uma being dominate over him

Uma should have no problem being a 270kg Tiger imo.
Also, MV2 wasn't even 3 yet when he was captured, he could of been another huge Tiger if he wasn't killed.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Hello - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 07:24 PM)Pckts Wrote: Uma has never been weighed, the best you can do is gauge him off a tiger who has been.

Below is Uma vs M2

M2 measurements are

Also, MV2 wasn't even 3 yet when he was captured, he could of been another huge Tiger if he wasn't killed.
Then what about 340 kg figure by Wasif Jamshed?

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 08:27 PM)Hello Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 07:24 PM)Pckts Wrote: Uma has never been weighed, the best you can do is gauge him off a tiger who has been.

Below is Uma vs M2

M2 measurements are

Then what about 340 kg figure by Wasif Jamshed?

Wasif wasn't talking about Uma, he was talking about a few tigers he has in his park. *I wont say which one but it's in the terai arc* 
He also said he had a 345kg and another larger one as well as a 180kg Female.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Dark Jaguar - 02-05-2020

Does anybody know the proper size/weight of Wagdoh male Indian tiger from Tadoba?

that Indian tiger is a big one.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pantherinae - 02-05-2020

[quote='Dark Jaguar' pid='101048' dateline='1580858073']
Does anybody know the proper size/weight of Wagdoh male Indian tiger from Tadoba?

that Indian tiger is a big one
I don’t think he’s been weighed. Wagdoh is from Tadoba and tigers there seems to be somewhat smaller than tigers elsewhere in Central India especially the females. Wagdoh seems huge at times, but I’m not convinced he’s THAT big. In videos where he is empty he looks smaller than the biggest males of Central India, I think the shape of his head and especially the neck with almost a dewlap coverd with fur makes him look bigger. Just my opinion ofcourse and i know people will disagree, but that’s part of the fun when discussing the size of tigers. It depends on the eyes that sees the animals, many people think Umarpani is not that big and I think he’s the most impressive tiger of Central India for the past decade. 

Here you can see him on an empty belly. You can also probably notice the dewlap/lose skin underneath his neck. [/size][/color]

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 02-05-2020

(02-05-2020, 05:18 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 04:14 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Does anybody know the proper size/weight of Wagdoh male Indian tiger from Tadoba?

I don’t think he’s been weighed. Wagdoh is from Tadoba and tigers there seems to be somewhat smaller than tigers elsewhere in Central India especially the females. Wagdoh seems huge at times, but I’m not convinced he’s THAT big. In videos where he is empty he looks smaller than the biggest males of Central India, I think the shape of his head and especially the neck with almost a dewlap coverd with fur makes him look bigger. Just my opinion ofcourse and i know people will disagree, but that’s part of the fun when discussing the size of tigers. It depends on the eyes that sees the animals, many people think Umarpani is not that big and I think he’s the most impressive tiger of Central India for the past decade. 

Here you can see him on an empty belly. You can also probably notice the dewlap/lose skin underneath his neck. [/size][/color]
You should check out Umarpanis most recent fight with T 50

He looks even larger than Uma in the video.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pantherinae - 02-05-2020

(02-05-2020, 05:34 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 04:14 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Does anybody know the proper size/weight of Wagdoh male Indian tiger from Tadoba?

You should check out Umarpanis most recent fight with T 50

He looks even larger than Uma in the video.

Just did and oh my god does he looks enormous!

I respect your opinion and yeah I know about his loose dewlap and some people may get even more impressed by him than me because of it but I don't count it and he yet looks massive to me regardless of the loose belly/neck skin but that's my opinion of course.

This dude definitely got the good genes and too bad he was not weighed, I was really looking forward to know how big he truly was in his prime but regardless (in my opinion) Wagdoh is the most impressive Indian Tiger that I've ever seen.

he is a monstrous tank

Wagdoh crossing the road.

credits: https://indianexpress.com/article/india/tigress-t1-cub-avni-cub-captured-sent-to-pench-pench-tiger-reserve-for-rehabilitation-5505412/

female cub around 80 kilos, she's daughter of Avni female Indian tiger that was shot dead.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 02-10-2020

vignesh_thangaraj3

Head on??? This tiger from kabini backwaters measures 9.5 ft? was killed by a younger tiger in a territorial fight.! I couldnt imagine how strong the young tiger wuld have been to win over this huge tiger!

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - johnny rex - 02-16-2020

Below is Uma vs M2

M2 measurements are

Never thought M2 is a tall tiger which is at 4 feet tall, impressive.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rishi - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 11:10 AM)johnny rex Wrote:

Below is Uma vs M2

M2 measurements are

They measure lying tigers with the paws outstretched... So to get the actual shoulder height while standing you'll have to adjust be reducing ~10cm.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - johnny rex - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 02:51 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 11:10 AM)johnny rex Wrote:

Below is Uma vs M2

M2 measurements are

They measure lying tigers with the paws outstretched... So to get the actual shoulder height while standing you'll have to adjust be reducing ~10cm.

So it is 115 cm which is equal to roughly 3 feet 10 inches tall. Still a quite tall tiger.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Shadow - 02-18-2020

It has been some time now, since I mentioned that I have been able to discuss with one biologist in India about tigers and weights he knows. Today I got message again after some time. Now I can tell, that this person is Dr. Y. V. Jhala. I can´t still give anything more than before, but hopefully one day. Here is text from his last reply:

"Sorry for the delayed response. I have now become the Dean of the Wildlife Institute of India and time is a difficult commodity. You are welcome to quote me if you feel it will help clarify stands and spread awareness. I have not been able to dig out my old data to chek the tiger weights but hope to get to it shortly. 
regards,

Jhala"

lf and hopefully when I get some more information from him, I will share it as it is. So it´s him who said, that the biggest tiger he has weighed was something like 280-290 kg, with his own words:

"I have radio-collared several tigers and the heaviest was around 280-290 kg. But this too is due to a full belly (fully fed). "

So now a little bit less mystery in this matter and hopefully everyone can understand why I have been somewhat careful and why I haven´t wanted to quote too much things from private messaging without being sure, that it´s ok.