WildFact
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers (/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers)

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GuateGojira - 09-06-2018

(09-06-2018, 10:04 PM)Rishi Wrote: Central headline: "Mirza" becomes Mukundara 's new king.

Smaller headline (Top left): 15 years later Mukundara resonates with tiger's roar. T-91 sets foot.

Desirous about relocation, size of first etc. No readable mention of his weight.
Ohhhh, ok @Rishi , thanks!

I saw a number "190" in the text, I tough that may be it was the weight of this tiger.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rishi - 09-06-2018

(09-06-2018, 10:08 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 10:04 PM)Rishi Wrote: Central headline: "Mirza" becomes Mukundara 's new king.

Smaller headline (Top left): 15 years later Mukundara resonates with tiger's roar. T-91 sets foot.

Desirous about relocation, size of first etc. No readable mention of his weight.
Ohhhh, ok @Rishi , thanks!

I saw a number "190" in the text, I tough that may be it was the weight of this tiger.

I know... It's the distance traveled by him from Ranthambore's biffer to Mukundara (in km).

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - sanjay - 09-06-2018

While Rishi outlined the main things, below is little more explanation from Internet

Welcoming the King of the jungle.
Mirza is said to be the new Sultan (Prince) of Mukundra Tiger reserve.
3 April 2018 became a historical day when after 15 years at 12:48 pm tiger T 91 male stepped into Mukundra tiger reserve. He is the first tiger to be relocated to Mukundra to make the forest a new tiger paradise.
T 91 was residing in ramgarh which falls in bundi district. He was tranquilized around 5.21 am from ramgarh fort area and he then travelled approximately 190 kms where the tiger was released in an exclosure for his meal having 23 spotted deers.
Mukundra had lost its last tiger in 2003 and since then the reserve was awaiting its next member. The tiger would be under strict observation 24×7 having a radio collar that would detect his exact location regularly. The forest is 760 sq km having 417 sq km of core area and 342 sq km of buffer area. Mukundra would be getting two tigresses soon from ranthambhore amongst T 78, 81 or 83.
1st pic at the bottom left shows T 91 having a look at the surroundings for quiet some time.

2nd pic shows the tiger's first step into his new home.

3rd pic on bottom right shows the tiger patrolling his new home.
Special thanks to Chambal sandesh news.

Good luck to T 91 and we hope this shall be a new and prosperous beginning for Mukundra Tiger reserve. Loads of love to you boy. Stay healthy and keep Roaring ?

Below is link with finer image and above details, hope this help @GuateGojira

https://www.pikdo.me/media/BhIieFYhIwV

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Suhail - 09-09-2018

(05-13-2018, 09:33 AM)Rishi Wrote: Big News unearthed by Suhail! @peter @parvez @Jimmy @SuSpicious @Sully @Greatearth

Does the Bengal tiger have a bigger cousin at home?
ITANAGAR, MAY 12, 2018

*This image is copyright of its original author

Two rescued cats in an Arunachal zoo intrigue experts

Two tigers with features distinct from the well-known Royal Bengal variety have led to research interest on whether India hosts more than one sub-species of the big cat. 

Rescued as orphans from India's north-easternmost corner, Ipra and Chipi were eight months old when they were found near Anini in Arunachal Pradesh’s Upper Dibang Valley district bordering China, in December 2012. They were shifted to the State capital Itanagar’s Biological Park almost a year later from Roing, the headquarters of an adjoining district at 7,000 ft above sea level.

Ipra the male, and Chipi the female had two other siblings, but one died of pneumonia and the other was presumed killed like their mother.

The two survivors have grown to be bigger, more aggressive and endowed with a coat shade different from the Royal Bengal tigers (RBTs) in the park. Officials say the Anini tigers do not have a white patch behind their ears like usual Bengal tigers. “The tigers from Anini are five-and-a-half years old, but they are markedly larger than the captive-bred Bengal tigers that are older than them. They also appear morphologically different from Bengal tigers and have a different colour coating,” the Park’s curator Raya Flago told The Hindu.

Genetic test

“We sent blood and hair samples to the Laboratory for the Conservation of Endangered Species of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology(LaCONES) in Hyderabad for a genetic test two years ago. But we are yet to get the report,” Mr. Flago said.
Arunachal Pradesh’s Chief Wildlife Warden Ruselo Kemp said the department would push LaCONES for the test report. “Until we get it, we cannot say the Anini tigers are different though they appear so to trained eyes,” he said. 

Kamal Azad of the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) said experts had marked the “non-Royal Bengal-like” appearance of the Anini tigers and explored the scope for a study with the Wildlife Institute of India (WII). Forest officials in Arunachal Pradesh said the only tiger sub-species bigger than the Royal Bengal (Panthera tigris tigris) is the Siberian or Amurtiger(Panthera tigris altaica). An adult Royal Bengal male grows up to 3.1 metres from head to tail while the Siberian reaches 3.3 metres.

“Siberia is far off and the only species that comes geographically close to the Royal Bengal is the Indo-Chinese or Corbett’s tiger (Panthera tigriscorbetti), which is found in Laos, Cambodia and Thailand,” Mr. Flago said.

The RBTs found in Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal besides India are also known to range across Myanmar.

Yadvendradev V. Jhala, WII’s large carnivore expert, said the reported size of the Anini tigers does not match that of the Indo-Chinese that are smaller than the Royal Bengal. “The physical features of the two tigers at Itanagar zoo officials make them worthy of a study.” he said in Dehradun. 

Highest tiger territory

The Anini tigers were rescued from Angrim village on the edge of the 4,149 sq. km Dibang Wildlife Sanctuary, which is at an altitude of 3,200 metres. The NTCA has proposed to make this sanctuary a tiger reserve because of a “sizeable population” of the animals.
If so designated, the sanctuary, established in 1992, will be India’s highest tiger reserve. Bhutan is the only other country as of now to record the presence of tigers at 4,100 metres. But Arunachal Pradesh’s Forest Department is facing resistance from the local people besides running low on manpower for managing the proposed tiger reserve.

“The sanctuary is too vast, taking up almost half of Upper Dibang Valley district’s area (9,129 sq km) and encompassing many villages. We have only five staff from social forestry division managing the sanctuary,” Mr. Kemp pointed out. 

During his visit to the area in January, the local people told Mr. Kemp that they fear their rights would be curbed if the sanctuary is upgraded to a tiger reserve. Officials said some villagers in the district hunt for food, though there have been no reports of conflict with tigers.
Wildlife experts feel the case for a tiger reserve could be stronger if the “peculiarity” of the Anini tigers is genetically established.

Two tigers,rescued from the Dibang valley in 2012 with features distinct from the well-known Royal Bengal variety, have grown up in captivity and unusually bigger in size that already discussed in thread tigers of the high Himalayas. Their weights were surprising. This was recorded when both are in 5 and half-year old age. 

"The tigers are well settled now and they have gained weight and increased in size. The approximate weight of the male tiger now is around 300 kg, while the female weighs more than 200 kg," park curator Raya Flago said. 
Link: https://m.economictimes.com/news/environ...665866.cms

interesting to know any further details of these specimens

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GuateGojira - 09-09-2018

There is no mystery for the origin, these are just Northern Bengal tigers. In fact, there are no size records of tiger that far, but definitelly they are not a different subspecies.

This amaze me about how large may be the tigers in Buthan. The tigers from Nepal and Kaziranga are the largest on record, make sense that the tigers from this new region are also very large.

Good found! Like

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 09-09-2018

this doesn’t sound surprising at all, some of the latest pictures i have come across from that region speaks volume about the tiger sizes. here is a huge male, the biggest i have probably ever seen from Bhutan.

this huge male was caught in Jigme Dorji National park last year in June/2017 around the black mountain range, his size is ridiculous. massive head, neck girth, chest girth and overall just a massive animal in every department you could imagine. tiger on steroids!

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - GuateGojira - 09-11-2018

(04-14-2018, 10:34 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 07:09 AM)Wolverine Wrote: Thank you for answer @qstxyz
So, before decades situation with tiger protection was comperatively similar in all countries, now the "tiger countries" seems to have split on 2 distinct groups - situation in India, Russia and Nepal is going relatively well, situation in countries of South East Asia seems to be disastrous.

Actually local forest dwellers, being usually uneducated, often don't quite comprehend what they're doing!

Situation is not better in India either. 

Amongst the tribals communities, there still are mass-hunts. This was originally a yearly ritual of the tribals, but now they come in cars even from far-off towns just to have fun... Joint Forest Management policy here usually has them go unpunished!

This was filmed by a worker from an NGO, Suvrajyoti Chatterjee, i think.

Last month, a tiger had wandered into Western Bengal from neighbouring province, after a hundred years absence in that region! FD was trying to track & tranq it prior to the madness, but failed. I was following the developments...
Engagement of most of their manpower in that, led to little effort being made to stop/check the killing.

Later on, yesterday, the 10-year-old male was injured by the mob of 10000 & was found dead later on. Autopsy found out that the 220kg tiger suffered a broken skull leading to haemorrhage in its brain. 

I am really depressed right now.......  Disgusting

Hello @Rishi, just one question. Do you have the source, article or email for the confirmation of the weight of 220 kg of this tiger? As you know, any help will be excelent.

Greetings.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Rishi - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 07:28 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 10:34 AM)Rishi Wrote: Actually local forest dwellers, being usually uneducated, often don't quite comprehend what they're doing!

Situation is not better in India either. 

Amongst the tribals communities, there still are mass-hunts. This was originally a yearly ritual of the tribals, but now they come in cars even from far-off towns just to have fun... Joint Forest Management policy here usually has them go unpunished!

This was filmed by a worker from an NGO, Suvrajyoti Chatterjee, i think.

Last month, a tiger had wandered into Western Bengal from neighbouring province, after a hundred years absence in that region! FD was trying to track & tranq it prior to the madness, but failed. I was following the developments...
Engagement of most of their manpower in that, led to little effort being made to stop/check the killing.

Later on, yesterday, the 10-year-old male was injured by the mob of 10000 & was found dead later on. Autopsy found out that the 220kg tiger suffered a broken skull leading to haemorrhage in its brain. 

I am really depressed right now.......  Disgusting

Hello @Rishi, just one question. Do you have the source, article or email for the confirmation of the weight of 220 kg of this tiger? As you know, any help will be excelent.

Greetings.

My original source was from the FB profile of one of the NGO workers, which isn't available anymore. But later on the measurement data were published in many media outlets.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/foresters-ignored-early-warning/articleshow/63766094.cms

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/lalgarh-tiger-found-dead-a-spear-through-its-face/articleshow/63754388.cms

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - GuateGojira - 09-11-2018

An adult male of c.220 kg and head-body length of 193 cm is a normal size for a Bengal tiger.

Sadly I can't use the figures until we have at least an email corroborating the information.

Thank you for the links, I am going to save the webpage.

RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Rishi - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 09:01 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: An adult male of c.220 kg and head-body length of 193 cm is a normal size for a Bengal tiger.

Sadly I can't use the figures until we have at least an email corroborating the information.

Thank you for the links, I am going to save the webpage.

You can use the values IMO. Due to the nature of the incident, the tiger's body went through a detailed post-mortem. 

Several seperate sources site the same values. I'm thinking FD probably released an official statement. Can't find it anywhere though...

From the camera trap photo, i didn't expect him to be any higher than 200 kg. The animal was very average in every way. 

PS: Should i move the last few posts to weights & measurements thread?

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rishi - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 07:23 AM)peter Wrote: THAI TIGERS

Today, in the thread about tigers in southeast Asia, Guate posted a very interesting document about tigers in Thailand. Although 9 pages only, it has a lot of information. Use the translator:

https://wildfact.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=1445

If you like tables, visit the thread about tigers in southeast Asia. Guate did a bit of work and compared tigers in India, Russia, Thailand, the Sunderbans and Sumatra.

Here's a photograph of a male tiger in the Temana Negara National Park (2012). It's not from the document above:

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 09-12-2018

Estimating Umarpani based off MB2 and the Sauraha Male M105

MB2
MB2 was confirmed to be 195kg
Nose to Base of the tail 205cm
Tail Length 92cm
Shoulder Height 125cm
Age 2.4 years old

They follow the "over the curves protocol"

Sauraha Male

If we were to deduct 10-15cm for the Over the curves method and compare them via Straight line which is what is said to have been the measuring method for M105 you would get two very closely matched Tigers, shoulder height for MB2 is very tall so it fair to say that MB2 could actually be the taller tiger and not quite as long in HBL. Obviously the Sauraha male is much more bulky than MB2 but I doubt that he is any more bulky than Umarpani and we know from the videos that Umarpani is larger in every way than MB2 so with the information we have at hand, an estimate for Umarpani of 280kg is certainly fair IMO.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GuateGojira - 09-12-2018

Check this comparison:

Here we have the tiger "Eliah" from the Wokutakula Wildlife Rescue Centre in South Africa. There are no measurements available from this specimen but I scaled the images in base of the humans. As the human with the tiger Sauraha is from Nepal, he may be slightly little than the man with the tiger Eliah, which is from South Africa, so I scaled them in this form BUT I may be wrong, so no offense to anyone, ok?  Joking

From my perspective, these two tigers are about the same body size. However the white tiger weighed 299 kg! This means that some tigers don't need to be so long/tall to get a high weight. As we know, Sauraha weighed at least 260 kg "adjusted", but may have weighed more.

For those that want to see this tiger been weighed, check this post (No. 244): https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-captive-lion-and-tiger-weights?page=17

For pictures check this post (No. 257): https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-captive-lion-and-tiger-weights?page=18

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Kingtheropod - 09-16-2018

(09-12-2018, 01:35 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: Check this comparison:

Here we have the tiger "Eliah" from the Wokutakula Wildlife Rescue Centre in South Africa. There are no measurements available from this specimen but I scaled the images in base of the humans. As the human with the tiger Sauraha is from Nepal, he may be slightly little than the man with the tiger Eliah, which is from South Africa, so I scaled them in this form BUT I may be wrong, so no offense to anyone, ok?  Joking  

From my perspective, these two tigers are about the same body size. However the white tiger weighed 299 kg! This means that some tigers don't need to be so long/tall to get a high weight. As we know, Sauraha weighed at least 260 kg "adjusted", but may have weighed more.

For those that want to see this tiger been weighed, check this post (No. 244): https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-captive-lion-and-tiger-weights?page=17

For pictures check this post (No. 257): https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-captive-lion-and-tiger-weights?page=18
I think this proves that Sauraha male very likely could have weighed more then 260 kg (adjusted). We know he exceeded scale of 270 kg, we just don't know exactly. However, based on this comparison, I don't think it is fantasy to believe these two cats could be of comparable weights.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rishi - 09-30-2018

(06-23-2018, 01:20 PM)Roflcopters Wrote:

around 160kg summer weight of the female, 180kg weighed and verified by Wasif Jamshed of Wildlife Institute of India. the male is over 340 kilograms (full stomach? empty?), also weighed and verified by Wasif Jamshed.  

full picture of these two.

Guys, didn't @Pckts say we were supposed to keep his data to ourselves? 

He even has a reddit page now!