WildFact
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers (/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers)

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GuateGojira - 08-24-2023

(08-23-2023, 01:40 PM)melon Wrote: Hello gentlemen, new tiger weight information from my friend
    As we all know, the famous American biologist Dr. Eric Dinerstein's book "The Return of the One-horned Rhino" explained that two male tigers, m105 and m026, exceeded 270kg in 1980 and 1984, but unfortunately, they did not Detailed description, because Dr. Eric is no longer replying to netizens' emails
  But my friend had an email exchange with Dr. Eric's former colleague, Dr. Anup Joshi, and he told me

*This image is copyright of its original author

Hi Melon. I really appreciate that you shared this information. However, there are some points that reject this conclution:

1 - Dr Dinerstein specifically mentioned that the weight of the male M126, in his second capture, was of over 270 kg and that the scale was up to 270 kg, as the spring scale used was of 600 lb. Check his email:

So, this is information known directly from him since 2009.

2 - It is weird that the informant of Dr Anup said that the scale used was of 250 kg, the problem is that all the scales used by the scientists in Nepal were in Pounds, not in Kilograms. You can see this in the documents of Dr Sunquist and Dr Tamang. I highly doubth that they use scales of 550 lb, when those devices, specially from that date (1970 - 1980) were made with round numbers. The two scales used were of 500 lb and 600 lb, not in kilograms. In fact, even the scale used by Dr Karanth in the 90's was still in pounds (500 lb specifically).

3 - The figures of the two males (M105 and M126) were confirmed by the three people that were present: Dr Sunquist, Dr Dinerstein and Dr Smith. They were present and directly used the spring scales. We even have pictures of the process, Dr Anup clearly said that he was not present. Also, the only tiger weighed by Dr Dinerstein was the male M126 during his second capture (first one was by Dr Smith, around 1980), and Dr Anup was not present, he says that he confirmed his data from the senior technician, but I highly doubt they still recall those details after 39 years, honestly I prefer to trust in the people that was present and the information that they shared many years ago.

Don't missunderstand me, I appreciate that you manage to get this information, but as Dr Anup clearly said, he was not present, so he was not witness. The reputation of Dr Anup is not in question, but the information that was provided to him does.

Check this image to see the spring scale of 500 lb used during Dr Sunquist's time:

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - melon - 11-02-2023

A male tiger from northeastern India, with a straight body length of 7 feet 5 inches (226cm) and a straight shoulder height of 47 inches (119cm)
 The contrast between tiger photos and people is huge, especially the heads!  My personal estimate is over 300 kilograms!

Source: Brown Hunter!: (The Big Five of Indian Jungle Game, Tiger, Elephant, Leopard, Buffalo and Gaur, With a Reference as Well to Himalayan Big Game

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 12:20 PM)melon Wrote: A male tiger from northeastern India, with a straight body length of 7 feet 5 inches (226cm) and a straight shoulder height of 47 inches (119cm)
 The contrast between tiger photos and people is huge, especially the heads!  My personal estimate is over 300 kilograms!

Source: Brown Hunter!: (The Big Five of Indian Jungle Game, Tiger, Elephant, Leopard, Buffalo and Gaur, With a Reference as Well to Himalayan Big Game

Great find, any other individual cat’s measurements mentioned?
This could possibly be the largest cat ever recorded if accurate, at least in frame. I’d also love to know body dimensions.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - parvez - 11-02-2023

Oh my god, absolutely enormous male. TFS @melon

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GuateGojira - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 12:20 PM)melon Wrote: A male tiger from northeastern India, with a straight body length of 7 feet 5 inches (226cm) and a straight shoulder height of 47 inches (119cm)

WOOOOOOW!!!

What can I say? You nailed it! Great finding based in the few measurements we can say that this is the biggest tiger ever recorded in any part of the world. No less than 300 kg for sure. I suspect that the large male tiger of the Maharaja of Nepal was about the same size and this shows that the "total length" alone is not a good size predictor, even if taken "between pegs", because this tiger is a giant but as its tail was short, it was not included in any record book.

Thanks for sharing this information, it will go straight to the list of Bengal records right now!

By the way, it will be possible to take a better picture of the skull of this specimen?

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 11-02-2023

Amazing! yet another beast from Uttarakhand. tfs @melon 

I also did some digging and found that Chunakhan Eco Tourism centre is just 36km driving distance from Corbett and about 22km to the east is Haldwani. 

on this map, where it says Corbett-Ramnagar and underneath where it says Boar river. that’s pretty much the area where this tiger originated from. Also, if i’m not mistaken @Ashutosh mentioned a while back that tigers from this region are just as impressive as their Eastern cousins and in the last couple of years. i was able to see it for myself. thanks to the growing population of tigers and increased tourism activity from this region. 

Sitabani King 

the famous Rajaji male from 2011 camera traps

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - melon - 11-03-2023

Dear Mr. Guate, and Mr. Pckts, I can’t provide anything because I don’t own this book. I saw the data about tigers in this book on Twitter, which was shared by Mr. Kaushik Barua,This is the original source

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GuateGojira - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 04:08 PM)melon Wrote: Dear Mr. Guate, and Mr. Pckts, I can’t provide anything because I don’t own this book. I saw the data about tigers in this book on Twitter, which was shared by Mr. Kaushik Barua,This is the original source

Ohhh, understood.

I was also trying to found the book, just like I found the book of Smythies (yes, I have it in full now!). But sadly, this is a very uncommon and expensive book. In some places it is not available and in others is over $250.

So, I am very happy that at least we have the important pages.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - melon - 11-03-2023

This is where the data comes from

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - palulu - 11-04-2023

(11-02-2023, 10:58 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: Amazing! yet another beast from Uttarakhand. tfs @melon 

I also did some digging and found that Chunakhan Eco Tourism centre is just 36km driving distance from Corbett and about 22km to the east is Haldwani. 

on this map, where it says Corbett-Ramnagar and underneath where it says Boar river. that’s pretty much the area where this tiger originated from. Also, if i’m not mistaken @Ashutosh mentioned a while back that tigers from this region are just as impressive as their Eastern cousins and in the last couple of years. i was able to see it for myself. thanks to the growing population of tigers and increased tourism activity from this region. 

Sitabani King 

the famous Rajaji male from 2011 camera traps

[attachment=11498]

[attachment=11499]

[attachment=11500]

[attachment=11501]

[attachment=11502]

[attachment=11503]

[attachment=11504]

Rival male

[attachment=11505]

[attachment=11506]

[attachment=11507]

[attachment=11508]

[attachment=11509]

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - johnny rex - 11-06-2023

@GuateGojira holy moly, what is your estimation on the skull size of the Chunakhan giant tiger? Any thoughts?

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GuateGojira - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 03:41 PM)johnny rex Wrote: @GuateGojira holy moly, what is your estimation on the skull size of the Chunakhan giant tiger? Any thoughts?

Very hard to say, as the only picture available of the book is severely distorted. The author says that there is a rules of 6 inches for scale, so I estimate some 420 cm, more or less. But certainly that skull is over 400 cm, a record for tigers (not the only one).

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 12-11-2023

followed a trail of deaths in Dudhwa recently and found this. 

after extensive digging, i figured this 4 year old male’s carcass weighed 210kg. 

when 4 of the deaths happened around Dudhwa between April 2023 - June 2023. there was a huge backlash and NTCA sprung into action to figure out what was going on. 

here’s the 2 year old male cub that was found dead. April/21/2023. 

details surrounding his death.

here is the 4 year old male that was found dead. May/31/2023

details surrounding his death.

female cub that was found dead. June/3/2023

details surrounding her death.

6-7 year old male tiger that was found dead around Kishanpur’s Mailani range in a bad decomposed state. June/9/2023

full details surrounding his death. (below)

sources link (below)

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/post-mortem-report-of-2-out-of-4-tigers-in-dudhwa-tiger-reserve-shows-head-injuries-4115881

https://www.dailypioneer.com/2023/sunday-edition/tiger-reserves-or-big-cat-graveyards.html

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/others/adolescent-tiger-found-dead-in-sugarcane-field-in-dudhwa-buffer-zone-ruled-out-poaching-or-poisoning-as-cause-of-death-101682087865905.html

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/head-injuries-found-in-2-of-4-deceased-tigers-at-dudhwa-post-mortem-report-2392261-2023-06-13

(unrelated) here is a young tigress from Kaziranga that was rescued. unfortunately i couldn’t figure out much details about her. 

the video is amazing, never seen a rescue operation involving squeeze cages with this much detail.

video highlight 

(0:54) live bait
(1:05) bloody paw
(1:37 - 2:30) injecting the tigress 
(2:58) you get a glimpse of her size next to people 

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 12-29-2023

Radio collaring procedure of a tigress by NTNC team, forward to 24:15-25:00. they mentioned 6 for upper canine and 4.3 for lower canine. body measurements were also taken.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 01-11-2024

250kg male tiger from South Kheri - Dudhwa 

208cm in length and weighed over 250kg as per Sanjay Biswal, the DFO of South Kheri. 

https://www.thenewsminute.com/amp/story/news/tiger-in-dudhwa-died-due-to-septicemia-autopsy-report

body measurements of a problematic tiger (M20/PM 06 or Rajipur Bhale). a male tiger from Bardiya National Park’s bufferzone. 

https://elephantconservation.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Rescue-of-problematic-tiger-from-buffer-zone-of-Bardia-National-park.pdf