WildFact
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers (/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers)

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - sanjay - 08-01-2017

Hello @Sunalroamin, Welcome to the forum and many thanks for joining us.
It is always good to have people like you with real experience with research and measurement in the filed. I am sure you will find interesting information to read and also you can enrich community with your first hand experience.
Let us know if you have any kind of problem in the community

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Apollo - 08-01-2017

Hi @Sunalroamin ,
Welcome to the forum.
Its really nice to have someone like you who can share first hand info and data.
If possible do share your experience and more info on different tigers.

Thanks

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - epaiva - 08-01-2017

@Sunalroamin Welcome to the forum

RE: The Sunderban Tiger - Rishi - 10-27-2017

*This image is copyright of its original author

From today's newspaper. It says:

Homecoming: On Thursday morning this tiger was released on Ajmalmari island of Sundarban Tiger Reserve, who weighed 110 kilos & was 8-years-old. This male was rescued from the forests of Herovanga. He had a festering wound on his right fore-leg probably from a territorial fight. Was later fed & treated to health.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - epaiva - 11-20-2017

Pictures and information taken from the book The Way of The Tiger (K. Ullas Karanth)

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - paul cooper - 11-30-2017

(11-24-2016, 03:24 AM)Pckts Wrote: 1) Tiger named poochkanta exceeded 230 kg. (Sinha via facebook)

2) Tiger Konda and Banda both exceeded scale of 225 kg in 2007, in Kanha national park. (Minh Ha via facebook). Tiger son of BMW of pench weighed 225 kg at 2.5 years old, after death. And a female tiger, also mentioned at the bottom, weighed 145 kg at 2.5 years old, weighed in 2008.

Hey pckts, are these sources for weights credible? Who are these guys?

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rishi - 11-30-2017

@paul cooper
Ujjwal K. Sinha is wildlife ecologist in Wildlife Institute of India (WII).

Minh Ha closely follows tiger sightings &..knows people.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - paul cooper - 11-30-2017

(11-30-2017, 07:03 AM)paul cooper Wrote:
(11-24-2016, 03:24 AM)Pckts Wrote: 1) Tiger named poochkanta exceeded 230 kg. (Sinha via facebook)

2) Tiger Konda and Banda both exceeded scale of 225 kg in 2007, in Kanha national park. (Minh Ha via facebook). Tiger son of BMW of pench weighed 225 kg at 2.5 years old, after death. And a female tiger, also mentioned at the bottom, weighed 145 kg at 2.5 years old, weighed in 2008.

Hey pckts, are these sources for weights credible? Who are these guys?
@Pckts 

Do you have the original facebook posts for these weights??

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Rishi - 11-30-2017

Lat two years saw a lot of tiger dispersal in the Terai landscape. That means more tigers in unprotected forests & more poaching.

On 27th March this year, a poacher's aide with a gigantic tiger skin of 10feet 11 inches was arrested, on the Assam-Arunachal border.

A tiger-skin was recovered on 15th May, 2016 in Raiwala area of Uttarakhand's Dehradun district, by Uttrakhand Police's 8-man Special Task Force.
Four men were caught along with a tiger skin over 11-feet long & 7-feet wide, with a skull and 25kg bones. There's a man's legs visible...

Exactly, 2-months earlier another raid had 5 tigers skins nagbed, the largest one near 12-feet-long & 125kg tiger bones from 5 men.

On 21st March, 2016 another skin of 11-feet was recovered by police in Alipurduar's Hasimara, North Bengal.

About one year prior that, on 15th March 2015 in Assam, another skin 11-feet long & 7-feet wide were recovered, with 25.3kg bones.

11footer from 2010..

Another..

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - paul cooper - 12-04-2017

(11-30-2017, 07:22 AM)Rishi Wrote: @paul cooper
Ujjwal K. Sinha is wildlife ecologist in Wildlife Institute of India (WII).

Minh Ha closely follows tiger sightings &..knows people.

Do you have the original posts so i can confirm these weights????

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Diamir2 - 02-04-2018

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10344-016-1026-9

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - peter - 02-05-2018

(02-04-2018, 07:46 PM)Diamir2 Wrote:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10344-016-1026-9

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

- The tigers in the article are (reintroduced) Panna tigers. The Panna Tiger Reserve is in central India.

- All tigers were collared in the period 2009-2015.

- Male tiger (T3) was 200 kg. at 60 months of age.

- Five females ranged between 95-150 kg. (average 119,2 kg.). In age, they ranged between 42-80 months (average 55).

- There was a debate about the weights of the tigers. The rounded numbers point towards estimates.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Amayas - 02-20-2018

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I was wondering if you think that Bengal tigers are the biggest subspecies? 

I think the big Siberian tigers we hear about are mainly captive ones that have been selectively bred from exceptionally large tigers, and that in the wild Bengal tigers are bigger than Siberian ones or at least are of the same size.

Maybe Siberian tigers were just over glorified in size, same way the size of the Baraby lion was too overestimated. 

But I'm no expert and that's just my personal opinion, which is most likely wrong. So I'd be happy if you correct me.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Jeffrey - 02-21-2018

(02-20-2018, 09:47 PM)Amayas Wrote: I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I was wondering if you think that Bengal tigers are the biggest subspecies? 

I think the big Siberian tigers we hear about are mainly captive ones that have been selectively bred from exceptionally large tigers, and that in the wild Bengal tigers are bigger than Siberian ones or at least are of the same size.

Maybe Siberian tigers were just over glorified in size, same way the size of the Baraby lion was too overestimated. 

But I'm no expert and that's just my personal opinion, which is most likely wrong. So I'd be happy if you correct me.

You are correct bengal tigers are the biggest modern wild cats on earth . The average of amur tigers was slightly bigger in the past than today. However there are "realible"( not confirmed at all ) weights of amur tigers to up to 300+ kilo in the past mazak for example quote some of them bengal tigers reached that weights too. The biggest ever lived wild cat was a bengal tiger and they were and are the biggest on average . At least from my knowledge . Peter pckts guate grizzlyclaws and co knows more about that. They can give youthe data you want to know.

RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - sanjay - 02-21-2018

As per my opinion, I think weight wise Bengal are heavier but Amur tigers are little bigger in dimension on an average