WildFact
New thread ideas & requests - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Corner (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-members-corner)
+--- Forum: Suggestion, Feedback and Complaint (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-suggestion-feedback-and-complaint)
+--- Thread: New thread ideas & requests (/topic-new-thread-ideas-requests)

New thread ideas! - sanjay - 04-26-2014

@peter , @GuateGojira , @Apollo and other users, Can we start some threads which have details of different sub species of tigers ? And more similar threads about Lion, wolfs, leopard, etc. ?
I am thinking of something like having their pictures, and necessary information like size, weight, region etc. and a comparative analysis

RE: Start a new thread - peter - 04-27-2014

(04-26-2014, 10:44 PM)'sanjay' Wrote: @peter , @GuateGojira , @Apollo and other users, Can we start some threads which have details of different sub species of tigers ? And more similar threads about Lion, wolfs, leopard, etc. ?
I am thinking of something like having their pictures, and necessary information like size, weight, region etc. and a comparative analysis

Good idea. I propose to just start the new threads (on both lion and tiger subspecies). A thread on every subspecies (both lions and tigers) will result in concentration of info and a loss of focus and information.   

I propose to use the extinction threads on both big cats to post general information at the level of species. 

Request moderators to start a topic - sanjay - 07-14-2014

This thread is for requesting to moderators to make a new thread (topic) for discussion and debate. Please provide valid reason for starting the new topics and what is the purpose of it?

Moderators will review your request and if approved then new thread will be made. Moderators may reject your suggested topic if they found it inappropriate and it harm the forum or other related things in any way.

RE: Request moderators to start a topic - Pckts - 07-15-2014

Debates are a naturally occuring thing when data and images or accounts are interpretted. Most debates begin from a singular piece of information. Debates also contribute quite a bit to doing investigative research on your own. If factual evidence is being presented then nobody should have the say so on whether or not that person should be able to post it or not. IMO

RE: Request moderators to start a topic - sanjay - 07-15-2014

There is little difference, and its quality, debate should be on things that are good and really need to be debatable, the way debate take place is also important, you should show respect to your opponent when you debate, not being harsh in your words. No matters how the opponent is you must be gentle when debating.

RE: Request moderators to start a topic - Vinod - 07-15-2014

Well, one of the six Hindu philosophical school of thought, the Nyaya (science of debate) has laid some rules in order to have  a sound debate, I'm not going to go deep in to this but would like to make a few points based on the Nyaya school of thought.

According to Nyaya there are three types of logic:

Tarka (sequential logic): Tarka is sequential logical understanding, it increases scientific knowledge. When sequential logical understanding changes, then scientific conclusions change. For eg: Pesticides and antibiotics were considered to be very useful in the past, and are now proven to be more harmful. In tarka, the paradigm changes.

Vitarka (irreversible logic): Vitarka means ultimate reasoning, the logic which is straight, open, available to us and available to the cosmos, very directly which makes us to understand the things AS IT IS.  It allows one to find answers, to accept the world to be in a state of fluidity. Vitarka causes the premises of understanding to change and, once one applies it, the solutions seem entirely logical.

Kutarka (wrong logic): Kutarka is logic aimed at disbelief, at finding loopholes through fallacious reasoning.

Hope the moderators know to distinguish between the three & act accordingly. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

RE: Request moderators to start a topic - Pckts - 07-15-2014

Vinod, I dont want to get in a debate about this, but antibiotics have not been "proven harmful"
Infact they contribute to countless cases of people overcoming infections etc...
I had a sinus infection for weeks, finally got perscribed antibiotics and it went away in 4 days, there are millions of cases like this.

I agree with everything else though.

RE: Request moderators to start a topic - GuateGojira - 07-16-2014

In fact, I am fully agree with Pckts, the antibiotics are NOT harmful at all. These are probably the only reason why humanity still exist and at so high numbers.

The problem are not the antibiotics, but the people itself. When a doctor give you an antibiotic, he do it during a period. However, most people never finish the treatment, so the final virus, that don't harm you anymore, but that survived the antibiotic attack, they mutate and produce new forms of virus that are now resilient to the antibiotic used the last time.

Other problem is some people, that when they are sick, they auto medicate with any antibiotic, instead of searching for a doctor. Then, this behavior of self-medicate repeat the problem posted above, and the final virus that survive, adapt themselves and produce new mutations.

At the end, the antibiotics are excellent and they are not the problem. The real mistake is the bad use that humans made of them.

RE: Request moderators to start a topic - Pckts - 07-16-2014

Bingo Gaute,
Just look at the growing average life span of human beings, the countless medications we have for diseases that used to kill many people, modern medicine should be praised not looked at like some conspiracy theory.
Don't even get me started on these people saying to not vacinate their kids, just look at the massive whooping cough epidemic that is growing from all of these kids whose immune systems are unprepared to deal with it.

Sorry to derail, gaute just brought up a good point.

RE: Request moderators to start a topic - Vinod - 08-15-2014

Well I was wondering why can't we have a good healthy debate backed with tangible evidence on who's the biggest wild cat alive today, Lion or a Tiger & one on Biggest Lion & Tiger subspecie, for example many think  Amur is the biggest subspecie but in my opinion the Hassinger Tiger proves Bengal is the biggest, while the captive population tell a different story.

Hope the concerned people don't see anything wrong with it & since Guategojira is good with data he should take an initiative. Thank you.[img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

RE: Request moderators to start a topic - GuateGojira - 08-15-2014

(08-15-2014, 11:08 AM)'Vinod' Wrote: Well I was wondering why can't we have a good healthy debate backed with tangible evidence on who's the biggest wild cat alive today, Lion or a Tiger & one on Biggest Lion & Tiger subspecie, for example many think  Amur is the biggest subspecie but in my opinion the Hassinger Tiger proves Bengal is the biggest, while the captive population tell a different story.

Hope the concerned people don't see anything wrong with it & since Guategojira is good with data he should take an initiative. Thank you.[img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

We can have it, there is no problem. The thing is that it will be strictly moderated, as we were going to write about "size and weight", not fighting abilities or other stuffs. So, of course, this can be made.

However, as a manner of summary, the data that peter, tigerlover, tigerluver, pckts and others, together with mine, showed that at species level, lions are larger than tigers, but this is because the variation between tigers is huge. For example, the smallest tigers were (Bali are extinct) of the size of large leopards and jaguars, weighing as low as 75 kg, while the largest tigers are larger than the largest lions, reaching up to 320 kg. As we can see, tigers have a huge range of variation (part of this influenced the large array of "subspecies" in old literature, now all invalid).

About the "Amur vs Bengal" issue, there is already a topic for it: http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-who-is-the-king-of-the-tigers

The result was that both are of the same size, but the Bengal tigers weigh more and the Amur tigers have the largest skulls overall. Both are the largest of the cats, since the extinction of the cave lions and the Pleistocene Sunda tigers.