WildFact
Lions from Botswana - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Lions from Botswana (/topic-lions-from-botswana)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Lions from Botswana - BigLion39 - 09-14-2023

Looks similar to Orkitok injury in the Mara. Hope he recovers!

RE: Lions from Botswana - Ngonya - 09-15-2023

One of the Kwara/Splash males: Matyo, the male with the Smudge
Posted September 3, 2023:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Posted September 4, 2023:

Posted September 6, 2023:
Strolling in the golden morning light of Okavango Delta

Posted September 7, 2023:

Credits: Cinzia Reichhart Franchini

Posted September 8, 2023:

Credits: Silverstreak Studio

RE: Lions from Botswana - KM600 - 09-16-2023

Are all 5 still alive?

RE: Lions from Botswana - Ngonya - 09-16-2023

(09-16-2023, 12:56 AM)KM600 Wrote: Are all 5 still alive?
Yes, but they split in two groups:

3: Matyo, Mr T & Yosha
2: Mavilla & Thapelo

RE: Lions from Botswana - KM600 - 09-16-2023

(09-16-2023, 03:01 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(09-16-2023, 12:56 AM)KM600 Wrote: Are all 5 still alive?
Yes, but they split in two groups:

3: Matyo, Mr T & Yosha
2: Mavilla & Thapelo

Makes sense I heard they ousted the Kwhai males so prolly split in order to control the newer prides.

RE: Lions from Botswana - KM600 - 09-17-2023

Doubt they’ve abandoned Marsh Pride as they’re still in the area of the territory that the Renegades would push through if a takeover were to happen. Either they’re extremely aggressive animals or they’re that hurt they had to settle with feasting on a hyena, never heard of lions eating a hyena as it’s been said they view they more as pests than prey.

RE: Lions from Botswana - Mapokser - 09-22-2023

Tsunami and Gaam are from Botswana, no? I think sons of Torn Nose and Sekekama.

I've just seen a video with them ( I hope someone can post it ), where Tsunami gets a antelope kill and drags it a long way towards his brother ( who has a limp ), once they meet up, Tsumami drops the kill and walk away, leaving his brother with it.

Very interesting, dunno what was going on exactly but it looked like Tsunami was directly/consciously bringing food to his injured brother, something I've only seen with lionesses who would bring small pieces of meat to their small cubs.

RE: Lions from Botswana - BA0701 - 09-22-2023

(09-22-2023, 05:38 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Tsumami and Gaam are from Botswana, no? I think sons of Torn Nose and Sekekama.

I've just seen a video with them ( I hope someone can post it ), where Tsumami gets a antelope kill and drags it a long way towards his brother ( who has a limp ), once they meet up, Tsumami drops the kill and walk away, leaving his brother with it.

Very interesting, dunno what was going on exactly but it looked like Tsumami was directly/consciously bringing food to his injured brother, something I've only seen with lionesses who would bring small pieces of meat to their small cubs.

I do not recall who it was, just know it was well over a year ago, but there was video of another two brothers, where one was lying under a tree, injured, and the other male would bring food to him. Perhaps the description will ring some bells with someone.

RE: Lions from Botswana - Mwk85 - 09-22-2023

(09-22-2023, 05:38 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Tsumami and Gaam are from Botswana, no? I think sons of Torn Nose and Sekekama.

I've just seen a video with them ( I hope someone can post it ), where Tsumami gets a antelope kill and drags it a long way towards his brother ( who has a limp ), once they meet up, Tsumami drops the kill and walk away, leaving his brother with it.

Very interesting, dunno what was going on exactly but it looked like Tsumami was directly/consciously bringing food to his injured brother, something I've only seen with lionesses who would bring small pieces of meat to their small cubs.

Believe this is the video you were referring to.

RE: Lions from Botswana - Mapokser - 09-22-2023

@Mwk85 yeah this is the instance i was referring to, though the video I saw we were following Tsunami only, dragging the carcass until suddenly we see his brother coming. The video you shared is a different angle from the one I saw.

But regardless, very cool and fascinating.

(09-22-2023, 05:59 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Believe this is the video you were referring to.

(09-22-2023, 06:28 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Mwk85 yeah this is the instance i was referring to, though the video I saw eas following Tsumami only, dragging thr carcass until suddenly we see his brother coming. The video you shared is a different angle from the one I saw.

Very cool indeed. We expect this type of behavior from Painted Dogs, but certainly not male lions. If there were any male partners I could see doing it, possibly the S Avocas, PCMs, Mbiris, Ross Males, and perhaps a few others, but even then it would still be just as surprising to see.

RE: Lions from Botswana - BigLion39 - 09-22-2023

I saw another video a while ago of a male lion bringing a kill to his injured brother. If I can remember correctly it was in the Timbivadi?

RE: Lions from Botswana - KM600 - 09-22-2023

They were the same lions who took over Marsh Pride from Sekekama and TornNose, nobody witnessed a fight so it’s not known if they were ousted or simply left. There is a chance Tsunami is related to Sekekama and TornNose, a researcher of Botswana lions has found some old photos of an unidentified lion in 2014 with the Marsh Pride that had a similar marking to current Tsunami, was also said Sekekama and TornNose were around at the time so it wouldn’t make sense for them to accept a nomad around the pride like that. Look at the shoulder of both lions.

RE: Lions from Botswana - KM600 - 09-22-2023

(09-22-2023, 06:28 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Mwk85 yeah this is the instance i was referring to, though the video I saw eas following Tsumami only, dragging thr carcass until suddenly we see his brother coming. The video you shared is a different angle from the one I saw.

(09-22-2023, 11:50 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: I saw another video a while ago of a male lion bringing a kill to his injured brother. If I can remember correctly it was in the Timbivadi?

That might be the one I was referring to. It is an extremely rare occurrence, that is for sure.