WildFact
Tiger Directory - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Directory (/topic-tiger-directory)

RE: Tiger Directory - Apollo - 03-01-2017

Mr.X recently fought with Mahaman male and defeated him. Mahaman male was later driven off from his territory and Mr.X took control of it. I think Mr.X as started to show off his presence and dominance at Bandhavgarh.

Mr. X (T37 aka Bamera's son) male tiger killed a 20 month old tigress by jumping over a 12 foot fenced enclosure at Bandhavgarh

A full-grown male tiger scaled a 12-foot fence and killed a 20-month-old tigress inside an enclosure in a protected forest in Madhya Pradesh on Tuesday, an incident experts said was the result of a battle for territorial dominance.

In the wild, male tigers are known to fiercely protect areas they mark for themselves and fend off intruders they see as competitors for food.

Bandhavgarh tiger reserve deputy director KP Bangar, however, said it is rare for tigers to go to such extremes like jumping over a 12-foot fence to kill another tiger.

“It is a rare incident. In my career as a wildlife officer, I have never come across such an incident…”
The tigress was shifted to the enclosure on November 22 from the reserve’s buffer zone — an area which separates the core area from human habitation – where she was seen as a risk to the life of humans and livestock.

Bangar said after killing the tigress, the male tiger — officially known as T37 — kept venturing near the carcass for a long time.
“The tigress had deep wounds on her head. The post-mortem will be held on Wednesday,” he said.

The Bandhavgarh reserve, sandwiched between the Vindhya and Satpura ranges in Umaria district, has one of the highest tiger densities in the country with 61 adult big cats and 12 sub-adults.

RE: Tiger Directory - Pckts - 03-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 12:19 AM)Apollo Wrote: Mr.X recently fought with Mahaman male and defeated him. Mahaman male was later driven off from his territory and Mr.X took control of it. I think Mr.X as started to show off his presence and dominance at Bandhavgarh.

Mr. X (T37 aka Bamera's son) male tiger killed a 20 month old tigress by jumping over a 12 foot fenced enclosure at Bandhavgarh

A full-grown male tiger scaled a 12-foot fence and killed a 20-month-old tigress inside an enclosure in a protected forest in Madhya Pradesh on Tuesday, an incident experts said was the result of a battle for territorial dominance.

In the wild, male tigers are known to fiercely protect areas they mark for themselves and fend off intruders they see as competitors for food.

Bandhavgarh tiger reserve deputy director KP Bangar, however, said it is rare for tigers to go to such extremes like jumping over a 12-foot fence to kill another tiger.

“It is a rare incident. In my career as a wildlife officer, I have never come across such an incident…”
The tigress was shifted to the enclosure on November 22 from the reserve’s buffer zone — an area which separates the core area from human habitation – where she was seen as a risk to the life of humans and livestock.

Bangar said after killing the tigress, the male tiger — officially known as T37 — kept venturing near the carcass for a long time.
“The tigress had deep wounds on her head. The post-mortem will be held on Wednesday,” he said.

The Bandhavgarh reserve, sandwiched between the Vindhya and Satpura ranges in Umaria district, has one of the highest tiger densities in the country with 61 adult big cats and 12 sub-adults.

Sanjeev Siva

Mr. X.
They call him Mr. X for a variety of reasons. One appears to be a mark that looks like alphabet 'X' on his left cheek. Two, because he's special - born to a legendary tiger, the late Bamera and the late Kankati in 2011.
And, three is the interesting part. This prodigal cub went missing in late 2013. He was officially listed 'missing' for close to two years, before he makes a grand re-entry in the summer of 2015.
2 years is a long time that a missing tiger's killed in territorial conflicts or poached. Where he was for this period, remains a big mystery - the X-factor.
He drove out the Mahaman male, a then resident tiger, and carved a territory for himself, that he loves a lot, for the cattle he preys on, regularly.
The image was shot post sunset, using a Fujifilm X-Pro2 camera, which outdid my Nikon fullframe, in capturing the colors, and contrast.
Mr. X | Bandhavgarh TR.
— with Banty Bandhavgarh and 2 others.

*This image is copyright of its original author

@Tshokwane and I were talking about a hypothetical clash between him and Bheem... or even Mangu or Jobhi..
Battle of the Titans

RE: Tiger Directory - Tshokwane - 03-01-2017

He's a beautiful tiger. A rising emperor.

RE: Tiger Directory - Roflcopters - 03-01-2017

Mr-X face looks just like his father Bamera!

RE: Tiger Directory - phatio - 03-01-2017

What a handsome and muscular male tiger Mr.x is
Bamera must be proud of him. you're right @Roflcopters i can see Bamera all over his body and face. 
and don't forget the other Bamera's sons, Pushpraj and Kanvar (w1 and w2).

Pushpraj

Kanvar

to me they have the most interesting and unique facial marking rarely seen amongst Bandhavgarh tigers.
i wonder where are they now. i hope one day they makes their own grand re-entry just like their legendary father and Mr.x did

RE: Tiger Directory - Apollo - 03-03-2017

Buffalo kills tiger cub in Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

A Buffalo has killed a tiger cub in the buffer zone of Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve, said forest officials.
It is the second tiger death in MP this year. Earlier this month a ten-year old tigress died due to electrocution in Banas river area near Sanjay-Dubari Tiger Reserve in Shahdol district.
Field director Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve Mridul Pathak told HT on phone that the cub was killed when a domestic buffalo punctured the belly of the cub with its horn.
“On Thursday, the field staff heard some commotion in the Patipirha area of the buffer close to the Shahdol district border. They found that a tigress with its three cubs had a confrontation with a domestic buffalo. The buffalo had hit the cub with its horn due to which the five to six months cub got a deep puncture wound in its belly which finally led to its death. The postmortem has confirmed that the death occurred due to this deep wound”, he said.
Pathak said the tigress and her two cubs were safe.
“The father of the cubs was also in the same area when the confrontation took place. I think the mother was trying to teach her cubs hunting skills when this incident happened”, he said.
This is the seventh death of a tiger in Bandhavgarh since January last year and third in last three months. In November, a male tiger T37 had jumped over a 12-foot fence and killed a 20-month-old tigress inside an enclosure in Bandhavgarh. The tigress had been shifted into the enclosure from Kothar area of the buffer zone where it had created a terror among the local villagers. In the same month, a seven years old tiger was also killed in Bandhavgarh’s Panpatha area due to electrocution.
Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve, located between the Vindhya and Satpura ranges in Umaria district, has one of the highest tiger densities in the country, with 85 adult tigers and more than 40 cubs. Due to this, the reserve has been witnessing incidents of man-animal conflict for the past few years, with both man and tiger getting killed or injured.
In 2016, MP recorded nearly one-third of the tiger deaths in the country, the highest for any state. Of 97 tiger deaths reported in the country in 2016, the highest since 2001, 30 were reported from Madhya Pradesh, according to National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA). However according to wildlife group CLAW (Conservation lenses and wildlife), there were 102 tiger deaths in the country in 2016, including 33 from MP alone.

TIGER DEATHS IN BANDHAVGARH SINCE FEBRUARY 22, 2016

January 27, 2017: A Buffalo kills a tiger cub in Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve’s buffer.
November 29, 2016: Male tiger T37 kills a 20 month old female tigress inside an enclosure in Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve.
November 4: Carcass of a 7-year-old male tiger was found on Friday afternoon in Bandhavgarh Tiger reserve.
June 17: Tiger cub dies at Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve due to a territorial fight according to wildlife officials.
May 19: Tiger dies in Magadhi area of Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve
April 10: Blue eyed tiger dies in Bandhavgarh tiger reserve due to a territorial fight
February 22, 2016: Tiger dies in Umaria district on being hit by a vehicle

http://www.hindustantimes.com/bhopal/buffalo-kills-tiger-cub-in-bandhavgarh-tiger-reserve/story-WdnRpPNoJWJyoRL18TcK7O.html

Somanshu - phatio - 03-06-2017

a short story related to Somanshu (T 37) aka Mr.X, a new rising star from Bandhavgarh NP.

He is the son of the legendary tiger Bamera aka Sashi (meaning the moon in hindi) and Kankatti aka Vijaya the famous one eyed tigress.
Bamera Male (RIP)

Kankatti, His mother,  she lost her one eye in a ferocious territorial fight with another tigress Laxmi aka Langdi. However his mother won the battle hence she gain her other name Vijaya (victory). not only killed Laxmi, his mother also ate her enemy's dead body but ironicaly, later she lost her life in another territorial fight.
Kankatti aka Vijaya (RIP)

april 2011, after took over Laxmi territory, Kankatti met Bamera the king of Bandhavgarh. 

after a little skirmish, she finally accept Big Bam and mate with him. members of old ava forum must be familiar with these pictures.

Somanshu (V2 now codenamed as T 37) was born in October 2011 along with his two sisters Ba (V1) and Bala (V3). here are some pictures and video of the three cubs

Somanshu in front of his sister

Somanshu (right) looking at something

Somanshu (on the back) playing fighting with his siblings

sometimes their beloved dad Big Bam visiting them to make sure everything is alright.

but then things have changed when a new male coming in to their territory. This elusive and dangerous young male tiger known as Rahasy started pressuring their father territory. even some eye witness said Rahasy chased him away and beat him up in Chakrdhara meadow. 

the mysterious male Rahasy

During the months of March-April 2013, Vijaya boldly stood her ground with her battalion of 3 beautiful looking sub-adult cubs and she even tried to deceive this mysterious new male by mating with him and making an attempt to draw him out of the reach of the cubs. However this futile attempts to shield her family went in vain as in May 2013 one of Vijaya’s female cubs (V1) was found dead in the fort area. This was followed by the death of another cub in the subsequent days. Somanshu was also declared dead, killed by the same mystery male early in July 2013. However in February 2014 it was discovered that Somanshu was indeed still alive and well in her mother's terrain after all.

in May 2014, Vijaya made a dramatic comeback by walking down the fort hills, with 3 tiny little cubs approximately two months old, probably sired by Rahasy. but it is unusual that she has taken such young cubs out. She is also seen very cautious and rapid while moving her new cubs. 

The reason behind this is said to be another new male who is frequently seen in Tala, her territory. this time a  male tiger called Jobhi, a huge, healthy full-grown specimen . He has no stripes on his front legs starting shoulders to paw, a very unique pattern and his identification key.

The robust male Jobhi

and then the worst things happened, on Wednesday 6th August 2014, Vijaya was declared dead. Her dead body was found in the Charan Ganga water body near the Tala zone entry gate. injury marks have been found on her neck and it is presumed to be due to territorial infighting with another tiger, most probably Jobhi Male because in a search operation of finding the cubs, the forest guards found two cubs lying dead near to Chital Kill. One cub is still missing.

meanwhile, Somanshu's father, Bamera due to growing age he started loosing territory and territorial battles and was forced out of is territories. November 2015 Bamera found grievously injured after a territorial fight and then the forest department decided to treated him. however after battling for life for almost six months in an enclosure at Bandhavgarh National Park, the legendary male tiger died in May 2016.

thankfully Somansu has survived against all odds and recently made a grand re-entry in the Bandhavgarh forest. many did not recognize him and starts calling him Mr. X. its no surprise, sometimes it amazes us to see how a small cub transformed into a huge and handsome tiger like him.

could it be his come back  is a sign of the beginning of a new chapter from the beloved Charger/B2/Bamera bloodline in Bandhavgarh national park? not an easy task considering some big males roaming around in the park such as Bheem, Mangu, Jobhi and Mahaman Male. 
Bheem aka Tarun

Bheem with his intense eyes guarding his cubs

Mangu the unknown big male

One eyed male tiger Jobhi

the young Mahaman Male

Blue eyed tiger is no more while Rahasy and Mukunda male are still missing, but then they replaced by the young bloods such as Jobhi's son and other Bamera's sons Pushpraj and Kanvar who might coming back again sometime in the future.

Whatever might happen, welcome back Somanshu

RE: Tiger Directory - sanjay - 03-06-2017

I have no words, It is simply WOW @phatio , You have written in so much details. We really lack this kind of post

RE: Tiger Directory - Pckts - 03-06-2017

Mr. X has already ran off Mahaman male, so he's earned a spot with the other dominate males mentioned.

I do wonder what happened to Pushparv, last I heard, he was fighting with his father and winning but haven't heard about him since.

RE: Tiger Directory - phatio - 03-07-2017

thanks @sanjay . you know I have a great interest in Bandhavgarh's tigers. dont know why, maybe it all started with the story of Charger and then B2 and Bamera.

@Pckts, thats a good start. apparently he is an aggressive young male. i mean, why bother to jump over a 12-foot fence only to fight and kill a young tigress inside an enclosure? this reminds us how we don't completely understand the behaviour of wild tigers out there.

about Pusphraj, i really want to see he and his brother Kanvar come back someday. I wonder what they would look like as fully grown males.

RE: Tiger Directory - Roflcopters - 03-08-2017

excellent write up Phantera and you're right, Jobhi did indeed kill Kankatti.

RE: Tiger Directory - Haymaker - 03-15-2017

(03-08-2017, 01:05 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: excellent write up Phantera and you're right, Jobhi did indeed kill Kankatti.

Guys great thread you gut going, I honestly have to say these tigers really seem to be pretty strong looking over all, I mean they look big too, do you have any weight estimates on them, they do seem pretty impressive!!

RE: Tiger Directory - Rishi - 03-16-2017

(03-15-2017, 01:13 AM)Haymaker Wrote:
(03-08-2017, 01:05 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: excellent write up Phantera and you're right, Jobhi did indeed kill Kankatti.

Guys great thread you gut going, I honestly have to say these tigers really seem to be pretty strong looking over all, I mean they look big too, do you have any weight estimates on them, they do seem pretty impressive!!

Noooooooooo!!!.. You HAD to ask for weight estimates!?!?!?! (Some people just want to watch the world burn)

RE: Tiger Directory - Haymaker - 03-16-2017

(03-16-2017, 10:27 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 01:13 AM)Haymaker Wrote:

Noooooooooo!!!.. You HAD to ask for weight estimates!?!?!?! (Some people just want to watch the world burn)

Yeah because I was in a debate with some guys on youtube, and they said to come on here, the whole debate was are tigers bigger than lions.  I said I think the tigers bigger, and a few guys well actually it was about two were saying only the scientific weight measurements are what matters.  So it was these guys taking on all these other people that were saying the tiger was larger and asking us to post scientific proof they are bigger, verified weights, I really didn't have the info to prove anything.  So I'm actually looking for scientific weights not really estimates.

RE: Tiger Directory - Pckts - 03-16-2017

@Haymaker 
What about the links @Rishi already recommended to you? 
Another good thread is the comparisons thread. When reviewing the tables take a look at the references then begin your research. @peter has also posted great tables on n. Indian tiger sizes from Hunting records as well.

All that being said, don't get caught up which is bigger. There is significant overlap between the two, my personal opionion is that the likelyhood of finding a 225kg tiger is higher than a 225kg lion. But realistically, 185kg - 225kg is a fair normality for a prime male of either species. 250kg plus gets you into the top tier of either and 280kg+ are the exceptions.