WildFact
The Great Apes - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Herbivores Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-herbivores-animals)
+---- Thread: The Great Apes (/topic-the-great-apes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: The Great Apes - GreenGrolar - 11-12-2023

*This image is copyright of its original author

Found this on another forum. It seems the silverback gorilla and his troop are confronting a tiger, a smaller subspecies perhaps. Does anyone know the story behind these pictures?

RE: The Great Apes - BA0701 - 11-12-2023

(11-12-2023, 04:08 PM)GreenGrolar Wrote:

Found this on another forum. It seems the silverback gorilla and his troop are confronting a tiger, a smaller subspecies perhaps. Does anyone know the story behind these pictures?

I have often wondered about interactions between gorillas and big cats, but from what I have read it seems the only big cats whose territory overlaps with gorillas is leopards. Could this possibly be in a zoo or reserve type of setting?

RE: The Great Apes - GreenGrolar - 11-14-2023

(11-12-2023, 08:57 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

I have often wondered about interactions between gorillas and big cats, but from what I have read it seems the only big cats whose territory overlaps with gorillas is leopards. Could this possibly be in a zoo or reserve type of setting?

It is probably in a zoo or a safari as you pointed out. Maybe it is in a similar area as Everlands but again I am not sure. Lions and gorillas probably did cross paths when wildlife was more numerous.

RE: The Great Apes - BA0701 - 11-14-2023

(11-14-2023, 03:13 PM)GreenGrolar Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 08:57 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

It is probably in a zoo or a safari as you pointed out. Maybe it is in a similar area as Everlands but again I am not sure. Lions and gorillas probably did cross paths when wildlife was more numerous.

Yeah, there was that guy who began introducing tigers onto a reserve in Africa, and then filming the conflict that ensued, I found it disgusting. Not saying that is what is happening here, since there isn'y a lot of context with the photo, but clearly it must be something along those lines, as we've agreed their natural territories should not overlap.

RE: The Great Apes - Hafstanni - 11-23-2023

Comparison between the partial mandible of a Gigantopithecus blacki and that of a mountain gorilla. You might think from this that the Gigantopithecus is a significantly larger animal, but the tooth row of a gorilla is only 20% shorter than that of a Gigantopithecus, and orangutans which are the closest living relatives of Gigantopithecus, can have thicker mandibles than gorillas much larger than themselves.

22.3 cm long Sumatran orangutan skull vs 29.7 cm long gorilla skull.

RE: The Great Apes - Hello - 12-18-2023

Weights of four male western lowland gorillas.

178, 169, 164, 149 (Kg)

https://www.zoodegranby.com/en/animals/western-lowlands-gorillas

RE: The Great Apes - TheHyenid76 - 12-20-2023

Images of Dr Toshisada Nishida (renowned Japanese primatologist) with chimpanzees. Source.

RE: The Great Apes - TheHyenid76 - 12-29-2023

Images of interactions and chimpanzee predation on colobus monkeys from Chimpanzee and Red Colobus: The Ecology of Predator and Prey by Dr Craig B. Stanford

A party of chimpanzees, led by Frodo (far right), approaches colobus males of J group, 18 July 1992, Kakombe Stream.

Frodo stares at a male colobus defending his group a few meters overhead.

Frodo rushes at the male colobus, attempting to scatter their ranks and reach an immature.

Frodo hand-threatens a male colobus as he attempts to reach the females and their offspring, out of view to the left.

On 7 October 1992 Atlas captures a juvenile colobus of J group, using his arms and one foot to pin the prey to the tree limb.

Atlas kills the juvenile colobus with a bite to the base of the skull.

An adult male chimpanzee is watched vigilantly by a male red colobus in KK5 before a hunt begins.

RE: The Great Apes - TheHyenid76 - 01-01-2024

Lecture on the conservation of Great Apes

RE: The Great Apes - TheHyenid76 - 02-17-2024

Incredible documentary presented by Dr Junichiro Itani on orangutans

RE: The Great Apes - johnny rex - 04-06-2024

People used to think bonobos are more docile than chimpanzees.