WildFact
The Great Apes - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Herbivores Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-herbivores-animals)
+---- Thread: The Great Apes (/topic-the-great-apes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: The Great Apes - johnny rex - 10-29-2019

(10-29-2019, 12:34 PM)The Panther Wrote: Young silverback from Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda. This is the other type of mountain gorilla, they tend to have shorter fur on average compared to their more famous virunga counterparts.

*This image is copyright of its original author

That's amazing that even among the mountain gorillas, there are many physical appearance variations among them. Even if you look at western lowland gorillas, they also possessed many facial physical characteristics. Some have very short faces while others have long faces like eastern gorillas.

RE: The Great Apes - The Panther - 10-31-2019

Chimanuka giving a piercing stare to the cameraman.

(10-29-2019, 01:36 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 12:34 PM)The Panther Wrote: Young silverback from Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda. This is the other type of mountain gorilla, they tend to have shorter fur on average compared to their more famous virunga counterparts.

That's amazing that even among the mountain gorillas, there are many physical appearance variations among them. Even if you look at western lowland gorillas, they also possessed many facial physical characteristics. Some have very short faces while others have long faces like eastern gorillas.

Yes, and it's interesting how Grauer's gorillas almost exclusively have narrow long faces, while Bwindi  gorillas seem to always have wide long faces. The shaggy Virunga gorillas do seem to have the most variants in features, almost like a mix of Western and Eastern features, even though their closest relatives are the narrow faced Grauer's gorillas.

RE: The Great Apes - johnny rex - 10-31-2019

Samson, a 652 pound captive Western lowland silverback gorilla. Look at his short face.

[attachment=3166]
[attachment=3167]
[attachment=3168]

Here is a wild Western lowland silverback gorilla. Compare it to the captive Western lowland silverback gorilla such as Samson.

[attachment=3169]
[attachment=3170]

Also, captive gorillas tend to have whiter sclera (the whitish part of eyes) which make their eyes look very humanish compared to wild gorillas.

(10-31-2019, 03:54 PM)johnny rex Wrote: Samson, a 652 pound captive Western lowland silverback gorilla. Look at his short face.

Here is a wild Western lowland silverback gorilla. Compare it to the captive Western lowland silverback gorilla such as Samson.

You also have to consider the fact he may be from a different Western population. The wild gorilla you showed seems like he's from a certain part of Cameroon, but Samson may have descended from either an extinct Cameroon population or places like Gabon, maybe even Western DRC. There's a good chance he's not Nigerian though, but you never know.

(10-31-2019, 04:21 PM)The Panther Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 03:54 PM)johnny rex Wrote: Samson, a 652 pound captive Western lowland silverback gorilla. Look at his short face.

You also have to consider the fact he may be from a different Western population. The wild gorilla you showed seems like he's from a certain part of Cameroon, but he may descend from either an extinct Cameroon population or places like Gabon, maybe even Western DRC. There's a good chance he's not Nigerian though, but you never know.

The wild specimen is from Central African Republic if I'm not mistaken while Samson was from Cameroon before he was brought to the States. That means there are so many physical variations even among Western gorillas.

This is a wild specimen from Mefou National Park, Yaounde, Cameroon. It got different facial appearance compare to the other wild specimen such as the Central African silverback above. The name of the Central African wild western silverback gorilla is Makumba.

[attachment=3171]

(10-31-2019, 04:25 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

You also have to consider the fact he may be from a different Western population. The wild gorilla you showed seems like he's from a certain part of Cameroon, but he may descend from either an extinct Cameroon population or places like Gabon, maybe even Western DRC. There's a good chance he's not Nigerian though, but you never know.

The wild specimen is from Central African Republic while Samson was from Cameroon before he was brought to the States.

Damn, Google can be messy, because i saw that very same male when i looked up Mefou National park gorillas, so I assumed he was from Cameroon. Anyway, Samson could be from an extinct Cameroon population, because Cameroon gorillas are not as common as they were in the past, especially considering he was born like 70 years ago. Maybe really short faces were common in those specific areas.

Another wild Western lowland silverback from Mefou National Park, Yaounde, Cameroon. Again different facial characteristics.

[attachment=3172]

(10-31-2019, 04:43 PM)The Panther Wrote:

The wild specimen is from Central African Republic while Samson was from Cameroon before he was brought to the States.

Damn, Google can be messy, because i saw that very same male when i looked up Mefou National park gorillas, so I assumed he was from Cameroon. Anyway, Samson could be from an extinct Cameroon population, because Cameroon gorillas are not as common as they were in the past, especially considering he was born like 70 years ago. Maybe really short faces were common in those specific areas.

By an extinct Cameroon population, do you mean the Cross River gorillas? Yes, I can see perhaps Samson is of Cross River gorilla specimen because I can see some similarities of his facial appearances with that wild Cross River silverbacks.

*Edit: Sorry Cross River gorillas are not native to Cameroon. Samson is from Cameroon.

(10-31-2019, 04:47 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 04:43 PM)The Panther Wrote:

By an extinct Cameroon population, do you mean the Cross River gorillas? Yes, I can see perhaps Samson is of Cross River gorilla specimen because I can see some similarities of his facial appearances with that wild Cross River silverbacks.

*Edit: Sorry Cross River gorillas are not native to Cameroon. Samson is from Cameroon.
No, i was thinking of another population in Southern Cameroon. There are various parts of Southern Cameroon where gorillas no longer live. Cross river gorillas live around the mountains of Cameroon and Nigeria, so they're still in Cameroon. It's an understandable mistake, so don't worry about it.

RE: The Great Apes - Hello - 10-31-2019

(10-09-2019, 12:41 AM)The Panther Wrote: Chimanuka.

Every ape has a distinct face like us and big cats.

RE: The Great Apes - GrizzlyClaws - 11-01-2019

(10-31-2019, 04:34 PM)johnny rex Wrote: This is a wild specimen from Mefou National Park, Yaounde, Cameroon. It got different facial appearance compare to the other wild specimen such as the Central African silverback above. The name of the Central African wild western silverback gorilla is Makumba.

This one looks like a hybrid between eastern/western gorilla.

RE: The Great Apes - Spalea - 11-01-2019

Even a male Orangutan can be angry...

RE: The Great Apes - The Panther - 11-01-2019

Old Cantsbee