WildFact
Of wolves and man - Feral children - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nature & Conservation (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-nature-conservation)
+--- Forum: Human & Nature (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-human-nature)
+--- Thread: Of wolves and man - Feral children (/topic-of-wolves-and-man-feral-children)

Of wolves and man - Feral children - peter - 04-22-2014

The Jungle Book isn't the only story about feral children. Here's one more:

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - peter - 04-30-2014

Here's more on wolves and man in India. This time, Sir John Hewett reported on what he knew:

Sir John Hewett continued:

Hewett, as far as I know, wrote one book only. In my opinion, it's telling he included information on wolves and children in his book 'Jungle trails of Northern India' (1938). Wolves created havoc in many parts of Central and North India in the 19th century. In some regions, they killed hundreds of humans every year. In many cases, immatures were targeted. One wonders why some children they took were treated in a different way. One also wonders why India was the exception to the general rule. Or was it?

One more about wolf children in India. Here are two photographs of Kamala:

In my previous post (Hewett's information on feral children), I wrote India, regarding wolves and man, seemed to be the exception to the rule. I never heard about wolf children in other parts of the world in recent years.

I did hear about wolves and man in Russia, Europe and North-America in the recent past. I didn't read anything on wolves preying on humans in North-Ameria, but in Europe and, in particular, Russia, it's another story.

In western parts of Europe, wolves preyed on humans not so long ago. In the Baltic, they apparently still do. The stories I read are not inventions, but facts registered by, for example, clerical institutions.

Some time ago, I read about wolves and man in India. Although they have disappeared in many parts of India, wolves still hunt children in some parts of India. This is a photograph of a boy mauled by a wolf:

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - peter - 09-15-2014

FERAL CHILDREN (Paul Sieveking)

Although this topic was raised by quite many people not to be taken lightly more than once in the past, it was and still is often disregarded. A pity, as very interesting. 

Most of us know a bit about feral children because of Kiplings'  great story ('Mowgli'), but there is a lot more and not all stories are old. Some are well documented and as true as it gets.

Feral children often were left behind on purpose as a result of circumstances or disease. A few were taken by wild animals. Most of those taken no doubt were consumed, but not all. It is known adult female predators at times nurse small animals or children at it apparently happens in both captive and wild animals.

Some feral children were captured. Many of them were unable to adapt. Those able to talk seemed to prefer animals over humans and some returned to the wild. Read the part on the boy who sheltered in the forests during World War Two. He never slept as sound as when he was with wolves.

This article has a nice overview of what is known and it isn´t wolves only. Goats, sheep, dogs, gazelles, monkeys, apes, birds, bears and at least one leopardess. One day, we´ll meet a feral child raised by a big cat. 

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/232/wild_things_feral_children.html

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - Pckts - 09-16-2014

This subject always intrigued me. I have seen animals motherly instincts take over even when the youngster is the prey of the predator that is protecting it. Animal emotion runs the guantlet, same as our own. Personalities are all different and each reacts differently.

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - peter - 09-16-2014

Pckts\ dateline='\'1410818163' Wrote: This subject always intrigued me. I have seen animals motherly instincts take over even when the youngster is the prey of the predator that is protecting it. Animal emotion runs the guantlet, same as our own. Personalities are all different and each reacts differently. 

Motherly instinct, experience and character are important, but there's more to it than that. 

Senses of animals are well developed. Captive big cats often are able to discover anything out of the ordinary. Some trainers told me they were able to detect disabled children in a large crowd in seconds. Big cats also seem able to get to the core of the personality of those they interact with. Many animals seem to have preferences.

I noticed captive big cats interacted with people or animals they liked. They, however, object to the presence of those they dislike. They select you, that is. Not the other way round. If an animal likes you, he or she will let you know right away. 

Returning to wild animals and feral children. When wild animals accept human children, a lasting relationship is developed. It could be that the ability to adapt has something to do with it. If a child raised by animals survives for some time, it will never readapt to humans. 

Although education (by animal) is the main factor, choice also seems to be important. Children who connected with wild animals preferred animals over humans. Those able to find their way with humans after their experience with animals (very few) never forgot the past. Some of them returned to the wild.

In the days of the colonies, Europeans had the opportunity to connect to a different world. Some wrote about it, but others were unable to find the right words.

One man, a former civil servant, told me about expeditions in New Guinea in the thirties of the last century. Every now and then, people got lost in the forest. A few were found. As they seemed lost, they were send to Europe. They called it 'Tropenkolder' (tropical madness).

When they had recovered and returned to Indonesia, they seemed different. Some felt so lost they returned to the forest. Search parties sometimes found a deliberate trail to the tree where clothes, shoes, cap, gun and ammunition had been changed for a more natural suit. After that, the trail ended. So what do you think, I asked the old man. Him smiled.

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - Pckts - 09-18-2014

Absolutely agree with everything you say.
Even at Noah's ark Sanctuary, (where BLT) live.
They always speak of each animals specific keeper/s who they love the most. Some of these same animals will not respond to other keepers even though they have not done anything to disrespect the animal, the animals just have a different bond with who they choose.

Not sure if you remember the old great documentary "Planet Earth" but they have a new Planet earth documentary that I just discovered called Planet Earth "Human Planet" and it is all about different tribes that still live in the most remote jungles, deserts, plains etc. They are one with nature and have a different connection to it. They worship it like we do God or Religion, and in a sense they are far more correct than we will ever be. They live off the land and have become a part of the earth. Its a very interesting doc. I highly suggest you watch whenever you get a chance.
It's almost like looking back in time.

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - peter - 11-07-2014

I don't know about the son, but the father apparently lived in the jungle for 41 years.

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - peter - 11-07-2014

When he was young, his father left him to guard the sheep on his own. A few days at first, but later he was on his own for some years! This is how Marcos Rodriquez Pantoja came to know about wolves in the Sierra Morena (Spain). In contrast to many others, Marcos didn't despise wolves. On the contrary. They became real close.

One could say Marcos was feral to a degree and be right. One could also say he was raised by wolves and be right again. In contrast to other feral children, Marcos was a human already when he learned about wolves. For this reason, he's one of the very few who is able to communicate on what he experienced. What he knows, has to be fascinating.

One day, I'll read everything there is on Marcos and report on it. 

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - chaos - 11-07-2014

A detailed chronicle of a feral childs experience would be absolutely fascinating.

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - peter - 04-08-2017

LIVING WITH MONKEYS - 1

Villagers recently discovered a wild child in a jungle somewhere in India. They wanted to take her out of the jungle, but her friends, a group of monkeys, protested. The villagers decided to call the police. With their help, the girl was moved to a hospital.

She's been in the hospital for about 2 months now and doing ok. She still can't talk and walk, but she lives. Between humans, this time.

They are trying to locate her family.

I saw the report on a Dutch channel. National broadcasting company, so reliable. It's in Dutch:

http://nos.nl/artikel/2167049-indiaas-meisje-overleefde-tussen-de-apen-in-oerwoud.html

As she's unable to talk and estimated to be about 8 years, it's likely she was abandoned quite some time ago. Yes, abandoned.

Those who treat her think the girl could be disabled in some way. I'm not sure, but I think there's no such thing as a national health insurance in India. If you're poor and your child is not well, this means you have a problem. 

The jungle in which the girl was found has predators. As she can't talk and is estimated at about 8, it's likely the girl has been in the jungle for quite some time. Predators usually are very aware of the place they call home. Some of them, like leopards and tigers, hunt monkeys at times. All in all, I'd say it's likely they knew about the Bandar Log and the Man Child. She most probably couldn't climb a tree. Yet they left her in piece.

Coindidence, or did animals kept something we seem to have lost?

RE: Of wolves and man - Feral children - peter - 07-03-2017

LIVING WITH MONKEYS - 2

Here's an update on the 8-year old girl from 'The Guardian'.

The girl found in a forest in Uttar Pradesh most probably suffers from a disability. Maybe more than one. If we add that she's a girl (not too popular in India for different reasons), we could have a problem. What is known now strongly points towards deliberate neglect: 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/08/indian-girl-found-in-jungle-was-not-living-with-monkeys-officials-say