WildFact
Jaguar Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Jaguar (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-jaguar)
+----- Thread: Jaguar Predation (/topic-jaguar-predation)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: Jaguar Predation - lionjaguar - 10-16-2019

Jaguar with paca kill

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Jaguar Predation - Spalea - 10-18-2019

" Jaguar stares into your soul while crushing a caimans skull "

RE: Jaguar Predation - lionjaguar - 10-19-2019

(10-15-2019, 09:26 PM)Pckts Wrote: pantanaljaguarsafaris

My guests @love_fisi & @chui_traveler and I, were following this male jaguar, known as Juru, as it was patrolling the riverbanks in search for food. As Juru hit the head of the beach, he detected one of its prey and immediatelly pounced on the tall grass and dragged out an Yellow anaconda. The male jaguar subdued the giant reptile, by applying its trade mark bite on the skull. The whole action lasted for about 10 seconds.It was phenomenal to watch and document such predatory behavior.

Can a jaguar kill adult black caiman or orinoco crocodile? I know 20ft orinoco crocodile and black caiman are highly exaggerated. I think 17ft are the maximum size they can grow. Maybe Paolo knows the answer if jaguars can take down huge black caiman and orinoco crocodile.

RE: Jaguar Predation - Luipaard - 10-19-2019

(10-19-2019, 12:09 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:

My guests @love_fisi & @chui_traveler and I, were following this male jaguar, known as Juru, as it was patrolling the riverbanks in search for food. As Juru hit the head of the beach, he detected one of its prey and immediatelly pounced on the tall grass and dragged out an Yellow anaconda. The male jaguar subdued the giant reptile, by applying its trade mark bite on the skull. The whole action lasted for about 10 seconds.It was phenomenal to watch and document such predatory behavior.

Can a jaguar kill adult black caiman or orinoco crocodile? I know 20ft orinoco crocodile and black caiman are highly exaggerated. I think 17ft are the maximum size they can grow. Maybe Paolo knows the answer if jaguars can take down huge black caiman and orinoco crocodile.

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:More so than even otters and anaconda, jaguars and black caiman arguably sit atop this food chain. Once the black caiman attains a length of a few feet, it has few natural predators. Large anacondas may take an occasional young caiman of this species. The jaguar (Panthera onca), being a known predator of all other caiman species, is the only primary predatory threat to black caimans, with several records of predation on young black caimans and eggs and a single reported instance of an adult male black caiman, measuring 3.8 m (12 ft), having fallen prey to a large jaguar. However, very large black caimans, 4.3 m (14 ft 1 in) or more in length, have no natural predators, as is true of other similarly-sized crocodilian species given the size, weight, thick hide and immense strength and may, in rare instances, themselves prey upon jaguars

RE: Jaguar Predation - Pckts - 10-19-2019

Paulo doesn't think so, full grown Black Caiman are huge and would probably be immune to any big cats predation.
They also live in the Amazon where Jaguar aren't as large, so that would make it even less likely.

(10-19-2019, 12:16 AM)Luipaard Wrote:

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:More so than even otters and anaconda, jaguars and black caiman arguably sit atop this food chain. Once the black caiman attains a length of a few feet, it has few natural predators. Large anacondas may take an occasional young caiman of this species. The jaguar (Panthera onca), being a known predator of all other caiman species, is the only primary predatory threat to black caimans, with several records of predation on young black caimans and eggs and a single reported instance of an adult male black caiman, measuring 3.8 m (12 ft), having fallen prey to a large jaguar. However, very large black caimans, 4.3 m (14 ft 1 in) or more in length, have no natural predators, as is true of other similarly-sized crocodilian species given the size, weight, thick hide and immense strength and may, in rare instances, themselves prey upon jaguars

Anyone can write their ideas in wikipedia. I don't trust animal vs animal information from that website.

(10-19-2019, 12:22 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Paulo doesn't think so, full grown Black Caiman are huge and would probably be immune to any big cats predation.
They also live in the Amazon where Jaguar aren't as large, so that would make it even less likely.

Someone in wildfact posted jaguars were predating huge black caiman. I am sure that black caiman was bigger than 14ft long.
Reptiles can't move when they failed regulating body temperatures. What if jaguars attack huge black caiman or orinoco crocodile when they are unable to move their body?

RE: Jaguar Predation - Spalea - 10-19-2019

@Pckts  @lionjaguar :I quote from @epaiva at the #62 of this topic:

" @sanjay

My Friend like you said before Jaguars are incredible hunters, all videos and pictures you see are of Jaguars from Pantanal in Brazil where they hunt Caiman yacare a medium sized croc with a maximum size of 2,70 mt long and over 60 kilograms, they hunt Caiman crocodilus too that grows a little smaller than the yacare up to 2,50 mt long and close to 60 kilograms, this two species are a lot smaller than the Mugger crocodiles (Crocodylus palustris). In South America you can find three big crocodiles that commonly grow over 4 meters long that really are too big and powerful for any Jaguar, they are Orinoco Crocodiles (Crocodylus intermedius), American Crocodiles (Crocodylus acutus) and  Black Caimans (melanosuchus niger).   ".

Here is the link:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-jaguar-...c#pid46105

(10-19-2019, 12:51 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts  @lionjaguar :I quote from @epaiva at the #62 of this topic:

" @sanjay

My Friend like you said before Jaguars are incredible hunters, all videos and pictures you see are of Jaguars from Pantanal in Brazil where they hunt Caiman yacare a medium sized croc with a maximum size of 2,70 mt long and over 60 kilograms, they hunt Caiman crocodilus too that grows a little smaller than the yacare up to 2,50 mt long and close to 60 kilograms, this two species are a lot smaller than the Mugger crocodiles (Crocodylus palustris). In South America you can find three big crocodiles that commonly grow over 4 meters long that really are too big and powerful for any Jaguar, they are Orinoco Crocodiles (Crocodylus intermedius), American Crocodiles (Crocodylus acutus) and  Black Caimans (melanosuchus niger).   ".

Here is the link:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-jaguar-...c#pid46105

Crocodiles are normally known for attacking other large predators when animals are swimming or drinking water. Reptiles can't do anything if they can't regulate their body temperature. That is why honey badgers are known for taking down huge African rock pythons.

RE: Jaguar Predation - Pckts - 10-19-2019

(10-19-2019, 12:48 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:

Someone in wildfact posted jaguars were predating huge black caiman. I am sure that black caiman was bigger than 14ft long.
Reptiles can't move when they failed regulating body temperatures. What if jaguars attack huge black caiman or orinoco crocodile when they are unable to move their body?

There is one image of a Jaguar pair in what looks like a predation on a Black Caiman, but more than likely that is a staged event like most animal documentations from years past.
You can see a few attempts on smaller Black Caimans as well on youtube, but those too look staged.

In regards to "what if's", I find it best not to use them. Have you ever seen a Crocodile fall victim to any predation because it couldn't move?

(10-19-2019, 01:01 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 12:48 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:

There is one image of a Jaguar pair in what looks like a predation on a Black Caiman, but more than likely that is a staged event like most animal documentations from years past.
You can see a few attempts on smaller Black Caimans as well on youtube, but those too look staged.

In regards to "what if's", I find it best not to use them. Have you ever seen a Crocodile fall victim to any predation because it couldn't move?

No, but I know people working on alligator. In general, predators likely to avoid each other since they have to take risk.
Where did you hear "likely that is a staged event like most animal documentations from years past?" I heard photo and video were from Disney.

RE: Jaguar Predation - Pckts - 10-24-2019

pantanaljaguarsafaris

Another jaguar predatory behavior documented in photos. This time an adult capybara killed by male jaguar known as Pirate or one-eyed. This male jaguar, as usual, subdued its prey with his trade mark bite at the back of the skull .

RE: Jaguar Predation - Spalea - 10-25-2019

Jaguar catching a caiman into the water and bringing it on the river...

RE: Jaguar Predation - Pckts - 10-27-2019

RE: Jaguar Predation - Pckts - 11-05-2019

Rare:
Pregnant Costa Rican Jaguar killing a Vulture.