WildFact
Venomous Snakes - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Reptiles and Birds (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-reptiles-and-birds)
+---- Thread: Venomous Snakes (/topic-venomous-snakes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Venomous Snakes - Sully - 11-14-2015

Pics data and vids on venomous snakes, the most deadly in the world.

I'll start with one of the most dangerous, the black mamba.

*This image is copyright of its original author

capable of moving at 4.32 to 5.4 metres per second (16–20 km/h, 10–12 mph). It is by far the most feared and most dangerous snake species in Africa and it has a legendary reputation as a very fierce and territorial snake.

Based on the Median lethal dose (LD50) values in mice, the black mamba LD50 from all published sources is as follows: It is estimated that only 10 to 15 mg will kill a human adult; however, its bites deliver about 120 mg of venom on average, although they may deliver up to 400 mg of venom in a single bite

And one of my favourite, the rattlesnake.

If you are on the end of one this could easily happen.

RE: Venomous Snakes - GuateGojira - 11-15-2015

My favorite snake, the mighty King Cobra, the largest venomous snake in the word (about the length of an average python or anaconda, although much lighter) and the among the most powerful predators that had existed, thanks to its venom that although is not particularly powerful, she delivers it in great quantities, enough to kill an elephant! 

RE: Venomous Snakes - Sully - 11-15-2015

@GuateGojira Wow! I am amazed how long they grow. And cobras may not be in the top tier of venomous snakes but I think their aggression makes up for that.

RE: Venomous Snakes - Pckts - 11-16-2015

(11-15-2015, 09:12 PM)SVTIGRIS Wrote: @GuateGojira Wow! I am amazed how long they grow. And cobras may not be in the top tier of venomous snakes but I think their aggression makes up for that.

They may not be the most venomous of all, but they are by far the most dangerous, to other venomous snakes that is, at least the King Cobra is.

RE: Venomous Snakes - Sully - 11-16-2015

@Pckts Agreed

RE: Venomous Snakes - Tshokwane - 11-25-2015

Deep Rajwar:
King Portrait..

Sep/15
Corbett Outskirts..

Indiansnakes.org:
The snake of many morphs, the Malabar pit viper is one of our favourites this #PitViperWeek (Trimeresurus malabaricus).

Endemic to Western Ghats, it is generally found in Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu.

Here's a beautiful shot of a horseshoe pit viper (Trimeresurus strigatus) by BhanuKiran taken in Ooty.

From one of the comments by them:
Pit vipers may be one of the least studied and understood snakes of India. Some of them can / may cause human death, some may not. The potency of venom is being discussed at many forums and we are yet to get some conclusive answers!

Kurt Orion G:
While we were photographing this male Hagen's Pitviper, a jumping spider (Salticidae - genus?) came to photobomb him! Malaysia.

RE: Venomous Snakes - Tshokwane - 11-27-2015

Deep Rajwar:
Naja - Naja

Aug/15
Corbett Outskirts..
A thing of beauty...

RE: Venomous Snakes - Tshokwane - 12-06-2015

Deep Rajwar:
Deadly Beauty (King Cobra)

Sep'15
Corbett.

RE: Venomous Snakes - Tshokwane - 12-09-2015

Sandeep Beas:

RE: Venomous Snakes - Sully - 12-09-2015

puff adder

RE: Venomous Snakes - Pckts - 12-09-2015

I have seen puff adders before, they are tanks. So short and stocky, with huge heads. I would never in a million years want to be bit by them.

RE: Venomous Snakes - Sully - 12-09-2015

@Pckts yea, they are some of the more robust snakes from what I've seen.

RE: Venomous Snakes - Pckts - 12-10-2015

Definitely, they have a great venomous snake exhibit at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, and there is no comparing them to other venomous snakes. I saw Rattlers, Mambas and Cobras, nothing came close to their mass. May be a king cobra, but I haven't seen one in person.

RE: Venomous Snakes - Tshokwane - 12-10-2015

Raaghu JKjungleboy:
The indian spectacled cobra 

Sn - naaja naaja(venomus)
Approx length-1mtr.
Rescued inside house n released @ nearby habitat.

RE: Venomous Snakes - Tshokwane - 12-17-2015

King Cobra, Agumbe Rainforest, Karnataka, India.

Credits to Sjoerd van Berge Henegouwen Photography.