WildFact
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+--- Thread: Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws (/topic-skulls-skeletons-canines-claws)

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - Betty - 01-22-2018

Siberian tiger

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - GrizzlyClaws - 01-23-2018

Here is the claw from a very large male liger about 7.2 cm, look like it is comparable to those of the large male Manchurian tigers.

Any thought about the size of the big cat claws @peter.

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - peter - 01-23-2018

I follow the proceedings with interest Grizzly, but don't feel competent in this department. I never measured claws of sedated or dead big cats, because I knew biologists never measured claws. This means I wouldn't be able to compare them to claws of wild big cats. I did notice that captive male Amur tigers often had very large fore-arms, paws and claws. The difference with captive male lions in this respect often was striking. Continue in the claw department, as it's interesting information.

The upper canines of an Amur tiger recently posted by Betty on this thread seem out of this world. Must have been an enormous male. 

I guess you saw the table about lions in northern Namibia I recently posted. I'll post a new one soon, as we now have information about 13 males and 6 females. One of the males was 11 feet in total length 'over curves', but I was much more surprised about the females. One of them was 10.5 'over curves' in total length. Never heard of a wild lioness or tigress even getting close. This to say that wild lions (and females in particular) can get to a great size at times. I wonder if these extra-large individuals produce upper canines and claws that compare to those of large wild tigers. You found enough to get to a kind of conclusion for now?

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - Betty - 01-24-2018

(01-22-2018, 07:58 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 04:59 PM)Betty Wrote: Tiger

Length: 7cm

Today, I llearn of thing funny from a businessman, He told me, he handled a lot of lion and tiger Claws, the largest is a Siberian tiger weighing more than 350kg, its claws more than 7cm in length.

Does he have the largest canine teeth of the Siberian tigers?

I am sure all those rare relics of the big cats are into the possession of the guys like him.

Unfortunately, He only has the Claws of the Siberian tigers.

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - GrizzlyClaws - 01-24-2018

(01-23-2018, 11:24 PM)peter Wrote: I follow the proceedings with interest Grizzly, but don't feel competent in this department. I never measured claws of sedated or dead big cats, because I knew biologists never measured claws. This means I wouldn't be able to compare them to claws of wild big cats. I did notice that captive male Amur tigers often had very large fore-arms, paws and claws. The difference with captive male lions in this respect often was striking. Continue in the claw department, as it's interesting information.

The upper canines of an Amur tiger recently posted by Betty on this thread seem out of this world. Must have been an enormous male. 

I guess you saw the table about lions in northern Namibia I recently posted. I'll post a new one soon, as we now have information about 13 males and 6 females. One of the males was 11 feet in total length 'over curves', but I was much more surprised about the females. One of them was 10.5 'over curves' in total length. Never heard of a wild lioness or tigress even getting close. This to say that wild lions (and females in particular) can get to a great size at times. I wonder if these extra-large individuals produce upper canines and claws that compare to those of large wild tigers. You found enough to get to a kind of conclusion for now?

I notice the weird body proportion among these lions, especially with the specimen #6. He is likely the longest and tallest lion out there, and his canine teeth are also the largest, but his head is really small.

I consider these lions to be large in a normal large, but not monsters, not enough to challenge some rare monstrous tigers with 16+ cm canines or 7+ cm claws.

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - GrizzlyClaws - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 01:00 AM)Betty Wrote:

Today, I llearn of thing funny from a businessman, He told me, he handled a lot of lion and tiger Claws, the largest is a Siberian tiger weighing more than 350kg, its claws more than 7cm in length.

I am sure all those rare relics of the big cats are into the possession of the guys like him.

Many traffickers simply stretched their claws to make it looks larger.

In fact, any unstretched claw over 7 cm in its natural length should be considered giant.

(01-24-2018, 01:21 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:

In fact, any unstretched claw over 7 cm in its natural length should be considered giant.
I once again consulted the businessman, the original 350kg Siberian tiger from Russia, is a wild Siberian tiger. This means that the weight of that tiger can not be 350kg, maybe only 180-200kg. (Claws length of more than 7cm.)
In fact, real Siberian tiger Claws are extremely rare. Common tiger products, usually from Bengal tigers and Indochinese tiger.

African leopard

(01-24-2018, 01:21 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:

African lion Canines (11.3cm), Siberian tiger phalanges, South China tiger Metacarpal bones, Siberian tiger Claws (more than 7cm in length), Clouded leopard Canines.

This is the last time a trader said "350kg" of wild Siberian tiger paws. In fact, the weight data was told by Russians and he did not know the current weight of wild Siberian tigers. Therefore, the Siberian tiger paw, which is more than 7 cm in length, may come from an ordinary Siberian tiger.

Sumatran Tiger, more than 10cm in length.

Tiger

Length:12cm.