WildFact
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+--- Thread: Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws (/topic-skulls-skeletons-canines-claws)

Huge tiger skulls - johnny rex - 09-30-2017

Here are some pictures of 15+ and 16 inches long Tiger skulls.

Any thoughts?

RE: Huge tiger skulls - Kingtheropod - 09-30-2017

Is there any body measurements of the 16 inche long skulled zoo tiger? It would be great if there was just for comparison.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - paul cooper - 09-30-2017

(09-30-2017, 10:26 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: Is there any body measurements of the 16 inche long skulled zoo tiger? It would be great if there was just for comparison.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOLFxrCAl-D/?taken-by=theskullatorium
idk maybe you can ask them

RE: Huge tiger skulls - GrizzlyClaws - 09-30-2017

Ask the owner about the skull weight and the canines measurement.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - epaiva - 09-30-2017

(09-30-2017, 04:18 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Ask the owner about the skull weight and the canines measurement.

I asked the owner of the skull measurements of canines and weight of the skull, lets wait for him to respond

RE: Huge tiger skulls - epaiva - 10-01-2017

(09-30-2017, 06:42 PM)epaiva Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 04:18 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Ask the owner about the skull weight and the canines measurement.

I asked the owner of the skull  measurements  of canines and weight of the skull, lets wait for him to respond
Sadly the owner of the Tiger skull did not send the information. Attached is his response
*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Huge tiger skulls - GrizzlyClaws - 10-01-2017

@epaiva

Yeah, I just saw his response on Instagram.

BTW, his tiger skull is 40 cm long and 29 cm wide in dimension, which is big by size, but extremely impressive in the width/length ratio.

However, I've seen some prehistoric tiger got even more impressive skull.

For example, this tiger skull got even rounder feature, much more robust snout/muzzle and canine alveoli.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - epaiva - 10-01-2017

(10-01-2017, 04:25 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: @epaiva

Yeah, I just saw his response on Instagram.

BTW, his tiger skull is 40 cm long and 29 cm wide in dimension, which is big by size, but extremely impressive in the width/length ratio.

However, I've seen some prehistoric tiger got even more impressive skull.

For example, this tiger skull got even rounder feature, much more robust snout/muzzle and canine alveoli.

@GrizzlyClaws

It was a incredible skull, the size of its fangs must be huge

(10-01-2017, 04:34 AM)epaiva Wrote: @GrizzlyClaws

It was a incredible skull, the size of its fangs must be huge

His canine alveoli is huge, and it must host the huge canine teeth like this; with a diameter of 2 inches or 5 cm wide.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - johnny rex - 10-01-2017

Sorry, I think those 16 inches and 15 inches skull belong to a same tiger so the skull length would be 15.75 inches and 11.5 inches wide.

Judging from their skull, I think this particular tiger is an old male Bengal tiger.

The first pic shows the tiger head before it was cleaned and the other pic shows the tiger skull from side view.

If this particular male tiger is an Indian specimen, there is no doubt that a large male Siberian tiger will attained a much larger skull.

(10-01-2017, 11:17 AM)johnny rex Wrote: If this particular male tiger is an Indian specimen, there is no doubt that a large male Siberian tiger will attained a much larger skull.

The huge skull from China seems to belong to the Amur lineage.

Thus, the skull got a rounder feature and broader snout/muzzle.

I'm sorry @GrizzlyClaws I mean the tiger skull in my previous post. I think the owner of the tiger skull is a Bengal tiger judging by the appearance of its skull.

Anyway, can anyone guess the measurements of the skull of Panthera t. acutidens that was posted by @GrizzlyClaws previously? @peter, any thoughts?